#1 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 August 2022 - 08:17 AM

The hot liquor heater has been on the fritz. Been working on several fixes, none have worked. Usually I am able to work around it one way or another, but today it was impossible.

Double batch, first one got 170, 13.4 Plato
Second one I had to sparge at 140 13.2 Plato

As expected, slightly lower yield. Still ran off in the same amount of time thankfully tho

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 August 2022 - 10:16 AM

Went does hotter sparge help with yield? Conversion continues?

#3 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 14 August 2022 - 06:58 AM

The conversation is done at that point but the sugar is more soluble in hotter water.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 August 2022 - 01:56 PM

Shouldn't the sugar already be in solution at that point? The results don't lie though so there must be something.

#5 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 August 2022 - 08:59 AM

The conversation is done at that point but the sugar is more soluble in hotter water.

That's a common fallacy. At mash temps, you haven't reached the limit of sugar solubility in water. So hotter water will get you no more sugar.

Shouldn't the sugar already be in solution at that point? The results don't lie though so there must be something.

I don't consider .2P to be a significant difference.  There are several ways to account for that.

#6 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 16 August 2022 - 04:48 AM

IMHO If you are a professional brewer trying to make every stinkin' cent out of a brew, sparging makes sense.

If you're an amateur, just throw in an extra pound of base malt and enjoy that extra hour of your life.

That said, I batch sparge mostly because my HLT and BK are both 15 gal keggles. That water in the BK has to come from somewhere. Might as well contain some sugar.

I also believe solubility has little to do with temperature. However, viscosity does. YMMV

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 August 2022 - 05:09 AM

IMHO If you are a professional brewer trying to make every stinkin' cent out of a brew, sparging makes sense.
If you're an amateur, just throw in an extra pound of base malt and enjoy that extra hour of your life.

That said, I batch sparge mostly because my HLT and BK are both 15 gal keggles. That water in the BK has to come from somewhere. Might as well contain some sugar.
I also believe solubility has little to do with temperature. However, viscosity does. YMMV

Similar boat here. I sometimes can no sparge but it has to be a lower gravity brew.

So I don't get talk of solubility. At the end of the mash the sugar is already in solution. There is no mash rock candy in there (although that sounds delicious).

#8 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 18 August 2022 - 04:05 PM

I sometimes can no sparge but it has to be a lower gravity brew.

Yup, on real light brews there's not much to gain. OTOH at a 25 P brew, I want that sugar.

#9 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 19 August 2022 - 07:31 AM

Same thing happened of course since we haven’t found/fixed the problem. This time I got .6 P more out of it than the hot sprayed one lol

Same everything else. Strange

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 August 2022 - 07:48 AM

Yup, on real light brews there's not much to gain. OTOH at a 25 P brew, I want that sugar.

in my case it's just a matter of fitting the entire volume of grain/water in there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users