#1 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 27 June 2022 - 07:39 AM

I'm back! Does anyone have experience with the Milwaukee MA871 digital refractometer? It's half the price of the Easydens. It appears the Milwaukee is the same as the Hanna Instruments just with a different badge.

I'm coming back strong with a 10% Impy Stout that a few buddies and I just transferred into a whisky barrel! Next up is a Kveik IpA and looking at some Bootleg for a Saison!

https://milwaukeeins...-refractometer/

Edited by BlKtRe, 27 June 2022 - 07:40 AM.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 08:22 AM

Had one and I never found it to be accurate, readings would change all the time. I gave up after a while and sold it for cheap. Now the easydens is amazing and I wish I have bought it long before I did.  I will also say my Milwaukee pH meter was also not accurate and went through probes like crazy. 

#3 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 27 June 2022 - 10:00 AM

That sucks. Easydens wont happen for me. Guess I will just have to continue to deal with the sucky ATC refractometer from China.

How about you sell me yours on a buddy deal?  :)

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 10:03 AM

They are sometimes 20% off at some places.  I bought mine when I won a FF league one year as a present to myself.  Anton Paar stuff is the real deal!

#5 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 June 2022 - 10:16 AM

I have one and it's been very accurate for me.  Because I've only had it a few months, I still check against a refractomter.  It's been spot on.

#6 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 27 June 2022 - 10:20 AM

I have one and it's been very accurate for me.  Because I've only had it a few months, I still check against a refractomter.  It's been spot on.

Now Im even more confused on what to do..... :)

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 12:03 PM

Odd, mine would not show the same reading 2 consecutive times and I have read others with the same issue.  

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 27 June 2022 - 12:19 PM

Odd, mine would not show the same reading 2 consecutive times and I have read others with the same issue.  

Yeah, that happens with hot wort as it evaporates.  The reading goes up.  Pretty much true of any refractometer as far as I can tell.  But since the initial reading matches my hydrometer I don't worry about it. Believe me, I've always been very skeptical of any refractomer which is why I held off getting this one for along time.  It seems to work better than any of the 3 handhelds I have.

Edited by denny, 27 June 2022 - 12:20 PM.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 27 June 2022 - 12:32 PM

Yeah, that happens with hot wort as it evaporates.  The reading goes up.  Pretty much true of any refractometer as far as I can tell.  But since the initial reading matches my hydrometer I don't worry about it. Believe me, I've always been very skeptical of any refractomer which is why I held off getting this one for along time.  It seems to work better than any of the 3 handhelds I have.

I never felt comfortable with it thus the reason I moved on to the Easydens.

Handhelds always seemed to be hit or miss too.  Hydrometer was always good but for multiple samples a lot of product was wasted.

Good luck in your decision Andy!

#10 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 28 June 2022 - 08:33 PM

Ordered the Easydens. Guess I don't need the SmokeX and Billows as bad.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 29 June 2022 - 03:59 AM

I think you will like it.  The ease of readings both OG and FG and the auto calculations are great.  I will take a degassed sample of a commercial beer just to find the OG, usually I am surprised.

Your other things are on my list as well :)

#12 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 30 June 2022 - 07:09 PM

You’ll be happy with it. I use it daily and it’s dead nuts with hydrometers. I prefer hydrometers honestly but we break them constantly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users