#1 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:39 AM

Hey guys, I'm new at putting a Pilsner recipe together. Here's my first crack...thoughts? Planning on brewing this weekend...OG - 1.048FG - 1.010IBU - 34SRM - 5ABV - 4.9%9.5 lbs. - Pilsner Malt8 oz. - Crystal 10L8 oz. - Belgian Cara-Pils 2 oz. - Saaz (2.8% AAU) - 60 mins.2 oz. - Saaz (2.8% AAU) - 15 mins.2 oz. - Saaz (2.8% AAU) - 5 mins.WYeast 2278 Czech PilsFerment at 48, lager at 35 for three weeks

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:00 PM

Hey guys, I'm new at putting a Pilsner recipe together. Here's my first crack...thoughts? Planning on brewing this weekend... OG - 1.048 FG - 1.010 IBU - 34 SRM - 5 ABV - 4.9% 9.5 lbs. - Pilsner Malt 8 oz. - Crystal 10L 8 oz. - Belgian Cara-Pils 2 oz. - Saaz (2.8% AAU) - 60 mins. 2 oz. - Saaz (2.8% AAU) - 15 mins. 2 oz. - Saaz (2.8% AAU) - 5 mins. WYeast 2278 Czech Pils Ferment at 48, lager at 35 for three weeks

Chad. My only suggestion for your recipe would be to drop the Crystal from your recipe and replace with base malt but keep the Carapils. I just brewed one with a friend and did 10 gallons. I got my recipe from Brewing Classic Styles that Jamil put out and there is just Pilsner base malt and Carapils with Saaz Hops like you show. Good Choice of yeast as one of the 5 gallons here is fermenting with 2278 we tried the Staro 2782 in the other. I would just say drop the Crystal and you are good. Hope that helps. Good Luck with the brew.

#3 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:11 PM

Thanks NCB! I appreciate the feedback. Since this is my first Pils, I was kinda flying blind. Am shooting for something similar to Urquell...

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:52 PM

Sounds good Chad. I am sure it will turn out to be a great beer. The only other suggestion I would say is mash at 154 if you can to add a bit more body to the beer. Happy Brewing, I think this one will get you Urquell like as well.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54206 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:42 PM

Chad: I guess it depends on what kind of pilsner, but I agree that the crystal doesn't go in this recipe. The one recipe I have for Urquell calls for pilsner malt, something along the lines of a carapils or carafoam and a smidge of Munich (2 oz) along with all Saaz hops which would make a Czech Pils, I suppose. Some of the German Pils recipes I see call for Pils, Carafoam/light crystal 2.5L (hard to find) and some Munich and some others I see call for almost all Pilsner Malt with very small additions (1-2 oz) of Aromatic, Munich or Vienna. I will say this... I used the Wyeast 2001 Pilsner Urquell yeast earlier this year for some Czech Lagers and I really liked the profile on those beers. I have used the 2278 and it also makes a very nice beer. It's a high floccer so you'll end up with a brilliantly bright and clear beer (not that I care about things like that :lol: ).You may also want to check into your water... a Bohemian Pilsner is made with pretty soft water. I will sometimes use ½ filtered tap water and ½ distilled. Good luck!

#6 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:38 PM

Ken: Thanks for the tip about the water, I forgot about that so I'll pick up a four gallons of distilled water. I'm going to end up going with this:OG - 1.049FG - 1.010IBU - 34SRM - 5ABV - 4.9%10 lbs. - Pilsner Malt4 oz. - Munich Malt 10L8 oz. - Belgian Cara-Pils 2 oz. - Saaz (2.8% AAU) - 60 mins.2 oz. - Saaz (2.8% AAU) - 15 mins.2 oz. - Saaz (2.8% AAU) - 5 mins.WYeast 2278 Czech PilsMash at 154 for 60 mins.Ferment at 52, lager at 35 for three weeks

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54206 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:05 PM

Are you going to add the anise-flavored liquor to your pilsner??

Posted Image

#8 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25384 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:14 AM

Recipe looks fine to me. IMO running a good fermentation (enough healthy, active yeasts at the proper temperature) is the most challenging aspect of brewing pilsners. Good luck!

#9 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:29 AM

Are you going to add the anise-flavored liquor to your pilsner??

Posted Image

Ha...no, what the hell is that stuff?! Pernod is one of the streets in my neighborhood and it rolled off the tongue nicely with "pilsner".

By the way....I've got the Rams (+9) tomorrow at Soldier Field. The Bears can't stop the run and the Rams have a great back in Steven Jackson. The Rams won't win, but they keep it close.

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54206 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:20 AM

Ha...no, what the hell is that stuff?! Pernod is one of the streets in my neighborhood and it rolled off the tongue nicely with "pilsner".

By the way....I've got the Rams (+9) tomorrow at Soldier Field. The Bears can't stop the run and the Rams have a great back in Steven Jackson. The Rams won't win, but they keep it close.

I'm sure someone more qualified will correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds similar to Greece's Ouzo in that it is a liquor infused with anise-seed which gives it a licorice flavor. You can drink it straight or add water to it which will dilute the Pernod and make it turn an opaque-white color. Pronounced pear-NO. So is it going to be Pear-NO Pilsner or Pur-NODD Pilsner? :)

As far as the game goes, I took the Bears with a lowly 3 confidence points (we play with the line so the Bears would have to win by 10... risky business right there). It's getting to the point where the Bears and the Rams appear to be very evenly matched, unfortunately. Last week (Bears v. Vikings) I took the Vikes with a robust 14 confidence points and was rewarded for my disloyalty. Enjoy the game, Amigo! And good luck with the beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users