#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 08:17 AM

This sounds fun https://omegayeast.c...cing-star-party

Star Party is designed to enhance thiol biotransformation while retaining the clean fermentation profile and clarity of its parental strain, West Coast Ale I (OYL-004). This latest Thiolized strain will add a big burst of thiols that’s perfect for redefining classic styles, juicing up a West Coast IPA, or creating a unique style that highlights the thiol potential of regional hops and malt.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 April 2022 - 08:22 AM

that it does

#3 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22075 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 12 April 2022 - 02:16 PM

Omega has been releasing some impressive yeasts lately.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 12 April 2022 - 03:01 PM

Omega has been releasing some impressive yeasts lately.

They have left the old dogs in the past... Just my opinion of course.

#5 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22075 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 12 April 2022 - 04:52 PM

I used Jovaru last week and I'm ready to use Gulo. Both have been great in past. I might revisit Cosmic Punch and hit the mash hops way harder next time.

#6 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22075 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 14 April 2022 - 10:30 PM

I received 2 packs of Omega today. Used the Hornindal for a Tropical DIPA today. Also got a "Bananza". Yeah, banana is not for everyone but I think I'll like it. Thinking of a BIG banana Weizen beer - BananaRama!

#7 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18999 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 15 April 2022 - 06:03 PM

What's the advantage of getting those types of flavors through the yeast rather than hops?

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 16 April 2022 - 07:25 PM

What's the advantage of getting those types of flavors through the yeast rather than hops?

Depth of flavor and it will also accentuate the hops. I would say that you could use less hops to get the same flavor profile.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 April 2022 - 05:04 AM

Yeah, I think you can think of it like cooking where you try to enhance a food with similar tastes. Like soy sauce and mushrooms adding more meaty flavors to meat.

#10 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 19 April 2022 - 05:33 AM

Less hops? Blasphemy! :P

I’m going to be playing with this one soon. We use 001 as a workhorse and have recently been using Cosmic Punch with great success. I have a feeling we will switch from White Labs to Omega for everything.

I really want to try Bonanza too. I’ve had some beers with it that have been killer. Think imperial stout….

#11 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22075 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 19 April 2022 - 04:42 PM

Less hops? Blasphemy! :P

I’m going to be playing with this one soon. We use 001 as a workhorse and have recently been using Cosmic Punch with great success. I have a feeling we will switch from White Labs to Omega for everything.

I really want to try Bonanza too. I’ve had some beers with it that have been killer. Think imperial stout….

Hmmm. Imperial Stout, eh? Maybe I'll try out my Bananza in my Baltic Porter recipe.

#12 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22075 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 30 May 2022 - 01:47 PM

Hmmm. Imperial Stout, eh? Maybe I'll try out my Bananza in my Baltic Porter recipe.

Made a Banana Porter with Bananza yeast on Saturday. I used the grain bill from my Baltic Porter. I forgot to add the 1.25# of brown sugar but no biggie. Anyway, OG of 1.077, I used a SNS starter and it took off. It's down to 1.022 already and blowing off massive Nanner esters.

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 31 May 2022 - 11:51 AM

Made a Banana Porter with Bananza yeast on Saturday. I used the grain bill from my Baltic Porter. I forgot to add the 1.25# of brown sugar but no biggie. Anyway, OG of 1.077, I used a SNS starter and it took off. It's down to 1.022 already and blowing off massive Nanner esters.

you could add the sugar now of you wanted to

#14 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22075 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 11 June 2022 - 05:22 PM

Just saw that Star Party is now available in Homebrewing packs. I'll definitely try it out. Dogfish makes a Star Party WCIPA.

I'm a bit disappointed in that my FG only made it to 1.020. Was hoping for 1.015-ish.

#15 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22075 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 24 June 2022 - 04:11 PM

Drinking a pint of this right now. The beer is fine but NOT what I expected. Even though it was blowing off massive banana esters while fermenting, banana is now barely detectable.

#16 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 30 June 2022 - 07:14 PM

Spitballing here but I think pitch rate, temperature, and O2 are going to play a big part in how this expresses.

Also, in regard to these thiolized yeasts work: I haven’t used Star Party yet, but the Cosmic Punch seems to greatly extend how long the hops character stays fresh in the final beer. It’s pretty remarkable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users