#1 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:24 PM

I came home from a weekend away and found some mice had gotten into some of my grain. I had a pound of MO in a ziplock bag laying loose and the bag was chewed through and a handful of husks nearby. We had some mice recently in the unfinished part of the basement. I just got a 10 lb sack and have 3 4 gallon water bottles filled with it. My other specialty grains are in the bags they come in and then inside plastic containers like tupperware. What storage items do you guys use to protect your grains? I assume those plastic storage bins are effective, anyone use them?Just looking for more ideas as I continue to try to increase my grain stock.

#2 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:31 PM

I had recently bought one of those vittle vaults. I wish now that I started using them. They're stackable and have angled front openings. And they can fit a whole sack. (I forget which size I have) I originally bought some of those 12 or 15 gallon storage vessels that are white with red screw on lids (from the place that shant be mentioned where the guy from Ohio (?) was selling them pretty cheap). They work real well too, but I always seem to have to get the bottom one out, thus having to get them all out.

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:53 PM

I periodically have the same problem here but I think I have found a good solution. For speciality grains I keep them in bags and then store them in 5 gallon buckets with lids on top. I put some shelves in my garage recently too and I am planning to buy a bunch of speciality grains and use some clear plastic screw on lid containers from Wal Mart. For the bulk bags that I have I have bought some 15 gallon Rubbermaid containers at Lowes and just put the bag in there and pop on the lid. I don't have air tight containers for the bulk grains. They stay in the bags with the top rolled down inside the plastic containers, they taste, grind and look as fresh as can be. I think any hard plastic containers will serve you well and deter the mice. The bags are good but they will chew threw them as well. Good Luck I feel your pain.

#4 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:30 AM

I periodically have the same problem here but I think I have found a good solution. For speciality grains I keep them in bags and then store them in 5 gallon buckets with lids on top. I put some shelves in my garage recently too and I am planning to buy a bunch of speciality grains and use some clear plastic screw on lid containers from Wal Mart. For the bulk bags that I have I have bought some 15 gallon Rubbermaid containers at Lowes and just put the bag in there and pop on the lid. I don't have air tight containers for the bulk grains. They stay in the bags with the top rolled down inside the plastic containers, they taste, grind and look as fresh as can be. I think any hard plastic containers will serve you well and deter the mice. The bags are good but they will chew threw them as well. Good Luck I feel your pain.

I use these from US plastics for all of the base malts.https://www.usplasti...d=searchresultsit won't hold all 55# of but if you plan on brewing a batch that should take care of the left overs.as for the specialties malts... i use these.https://www.usplasti...24606&catid=574all the Mice have to eat now is the stuff i drop...good luck.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:44 AM

Home depot 5 gallon buckets. I haven't had the grains long enough to know if this is a problem.

#6 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:52 AM

Thanks for the replies. I can be confident any time of air tight hard plastic is enough to stop them. My neighbor uses 4 gallon disposable water bottles so I have a good supply of those for bulk base grains. I like the idea of a 5 gallon bucket that I can keep all my 1 pound speciality grains in. Now to catch the last of the mice to protect all the food in the pantry!!!

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:23 AM

I've never had to store grains for beer, but I have stored cracked corn before. The fruit rats and squirrels around here get into everything. They chewed right through five gallon buckets and rubbermaid containers to get at that corn. The only thing that stopped them was a steel container.

#8 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:04 AM

For those going with buckets, put a Gamma Seal on it. It makes life SO much easier.

#9 JReigle

JReigle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSan Leandro, CA

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:53 AM

I use a 30 gallon rubbermaid garbage can. This can easily hold a 50 pound bag and a bunch of packaged specialty grains. I typically keep the base malt in the original bag and place that in a heavy duty garbage bag and then it goes in the can that way.

#10 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:04 PM

I've got an old large cooler that we don't use much. Once I open the bag and use some, I can usually put the bag in there. I've also got some grains in a Home Depot bucket with a lid. And I've got some smaller amounts of grains in bags, but those are in one of those large storage containers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users