#1 robsauce

robsauce

Comptroller of Teh Great Northern Wasteland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:58 AM

This is the first time I've done an extract brew in about 3 years as I've been using kits from a local microbrewery as it was just more convenient. I remember there usually being quite a bit more foam, chunks, etc. with what I would consider to be hot break material in previous extract/partial-grain brews that I had previously done. There was a bit of foam during the first 10-20mins but not a whole lot compared to what I remember. Should I be concerned? Anything else that someone would care to critique or comment on? Recipe and procedure for those that want details:Grains:1.0 lbs. Caramel/Crystal Malt 601.0 lbs. Roasted Barley 0.5 lbs. Chocolate MaltExtract:8 lbs. Light/Pale DME1 oz. Target (Beginning)6 oz. Cocoa powder1 oz. East Kent Goldings (Finishing)Wyeast Irish Ale- Bring 1.5 gallons of water to 160F and add grains. Let steep for ~50mins- Remove and rinse grains with water and pour into boil kettle and additional water to bring total boil size to about 2.5-3 gallons.- Return to boil, remove from heat and stir in DME and add target hops then bring back to rolling boil (total boil time 60mins)- 20 minutes remaining add Goldings hops - 10 mins remaining added 6oz of cocoa powder and 2.5g of wyeast nutrient (dissolved in warm water)- 0mins remaining remove from heat and pour into primary (plastic bucket) and chill in an ice bath.- yeast pack was smacked 4hrs earlier. Wort @ 78 degrees – stirred vigorously to aerate for 2 minutes and pitched yeast.OG: 1.076

#2 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:19 AM

Did you have a good rolling boil?I have noticed that on my stove its pretty difficult to get a really good boil, so I don't get a ton of foam or hot break (Usually. Just remember, never add the DME to boiling water, you will get a massive boil over even on the stove.)Whatever I get I skim off until the top is relatively clean looking.

#3 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:32 AM

It is also much harder to see hot break in a dark boil. with the RB and chocolate, your wort was probably black and tough to see. Usually you can only pick it up in the flow of bubbles that burst in a vigorous roll.

#4 robsauce

robsauce

Comptroller of Teh Great Northern Wasteland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:11 AM

Yea, I had a good constant rolling boil. My gas stove handled that pretty easily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users