#1 harryfrog

harryfrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, CA

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:29 AM

I made a BW this weekend and was standing around BS'ing with my buddy after I finished brewing before I'd cleaned up. I went to lift the mash tun and realized "damn, this thing's heavy still". I had 1.5 gallons of 1.050 wort left in the bottom that I put into some canning jars I had laying around. I added a couple inches of water to my brew pot, got the water to a boil, added the jars, covered the pot and let them boil for 15 minutes. All of the lids sealed nicely.Now I've got 4 batches of canned starter wort (3 pints each). I did get some hot break in the jars, but I don't think I should be too concerned.Anyone see any problems with my method? I've noticed lots of discussion about pressure canning on the other board, but none about regular canning (without the pressure cooker). I would think if this method worked (i.e. not needing a pressure cooker) it would be more accessible to more people.

#2 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14755 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:37 AM

I made a BW this weekend and was standing around BS'ing with my buddy after I finished brewing before I'd cleaned up. I went to lift the mash tun and realized "damn, this thing's heavy still". I had 1.5 gallons of 1.050 wort left in the bottom that I put into some canning jars I had laying around. I added a couple inches of water to my brew pot, got the water to a boil, added the jars, covered the pot and let them boil for 15 minutes. All of the lids sealed nicely.Now I've got 4 batches of canned starter wort (3 pints each). I did get some hot break in the jars, but I don't think I should be too concerned.Anyone see any problems with my method? I've noticed lots of discussion about pressure canning on the other board, but none about regular canning (without the pressure cooker). I would think if this method worked (i.e. not needing a pressure cooker) it would be more accessible to more people.

From my understanding, wort is not acidic enough for a water bath canning procedure. It needs to be pressure canned, which is what I do.

#3 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:51 AM

I've canned wort that way many times and never had a problem. That said, Howie is exactly right that you really should use a pressure canner to be safe.

#4 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:02 AM

Technically you should not can wort without a pressure canner. It is not acidic enough. It can be done without a pressure canner, but you need to increase the boil time and check the temp of your boiling water as it is probably less than 212 due to altitude. I'd be wary of only 15 minutes.Call me paranoid. Say I'm scaremongering, I don't care. But botulism toxin is nothing to mess around with. I'd suggest doing some research before you can anything, don't wing it. I don't have the time right now to dig up resources, but a little Google searching will lead you in the right direction.

#5 harryfrog

harryfrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, CA

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:02 AM

Technically you should not can wort without a pressure canner. It is not acidic enough. It can be done without a pressure canner, but you need to increase the boil time and check the temp of your boiling water as it is probably less than 212 due to altitude. I'd be wary of only 15 minutes.Call me paranoid. Say I'm scaremongering, I don't care. But botulism toxin is nothing to mess around with. I'd suggest doing some research before you can anything, don't wing it. I don't have the time right now to dig up resources, but a little Google searching will lead you in the right direction.

I have thrown away previously canned sauces because I didn't know if I had the right pH when I canned them. Now that I've done a little research for this topic, I think I was probably okay, as I pressure canned the sauces. I may opt to toss this batch of canned wort and chalk it up to a learning experience.Thanks for the advice on the pressure canner - it's just in time to ask for one for Christmas!

#6 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14755 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:54 AM

I'd be wary of only 15 minutes.

My pressure canner manual says liquids and dressings should be pressure canned at 15psi for 30 minutes. So, that's what I do.

#7 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:19 PM

I'd be wary of only 15 minutes.

15 minutes should be fine for pressure canning if you are at the right PSI. I was speaking to water bath canning. 15 minutes with a low acid food in a water bath is cutting it close, especially if you are above sea level.

Edited by stangbat, 01 December 2009 - 12:22 PM.

#8 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:49 PM

Sugar is also a preservative in hot-water bath canning. Think of making jellies and jams - although there is some acid, it isn't for preservation but for setting pectins. The main preservation is sugar.The real question is if starter wort is of sufficient sugar content to not use a pressure-canner. I think it should be.According to Colorado State Extension, a very light syrup of 10% sugar (9.7 brix/SG 1.039) is sufficient for canning via hot-water bath.https://www.ext.colo...DNUT/09347.htmlTherefore, I think starter wort doesn't need to be pressure canned.

They are discussing gelling in the text you quoted, not acidity related to pressure vs. water bath canning. Two different issues. Just so nobody gets this wrong, I'm inserting my reply from the other thread below:What we are trying to accomplish is to kill botulism spores. We don't care about anything gelling. Botulism is more easily killed in high acid foods, and that's why you can get by with water bath canning when processing low acid foods like wort. First bullet point right here:https://www.uga.edu/...nned_foods.htmlA little more searching will also show that it is the acid content that matters.From the UGA site (National Center for Home Food Preparation):

Whether food should be processed in a pressure canner or boiling-water canner to control botulinum bacteria depends on the acidity of the food (emphasis mine). Acidity may be natural, as in most fruits, or added, as in pickled food. Low-acid canned foods are not acidic enough to prevent the growth of these bacteria. Acid foods contain enough acid to block their growth, or destroy them more rapidly when heated. The term "pH" is a measure of acidity; the lower its value, the more acid the food. The acidity level in foods can be increased by adding lemon juice, citric acid, or vinegar.Low-acid foods have pH values higher than 4.6. They include red meats, seafood, poultry, milk, and all fresh vegetables except for most tomatoes. Most mixtures of low-acid and acid foods also have pH values above 4.6 unless their recipes include enough lemon juice, citric acid, or vinegar to make them acid foods. Acid foods have a pH of 4.6 or lower. They include fruits, pickles, sauerkraut, jams, jellies, marmalades, and fruit butters.

So in summary, wort is a low acid food and needs to be pressure canned to be safe.

Edited by stangbat, 04 December 2009 - 06:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users