• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 VirginiaBeach

VirginiaBeach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:41 PM

Hello all,Has anyone had experience with Wyeast 3787 (or the White Labs counterpart WL530), the Trappist yeast? I just made a starter with it and it's currently bubbling away at about 64 degrees F. It gives off a sweet smell (kind reminds me of plums, could be wrong though) but slightly plastic-like. I've looked it up and that is attributed to phenols which this yeast is known to produce. So I'm not too worred about contamination (though my Worried Homebrewer Syndrome kicked in when a drop of StarSan dropped in the flask off my finger without a full 30 sec contact time [I know, pretty ridiculous thing to worry about]) I was just wondering if other homebrewers have noticed this smell that have used this yeast?Thanks.

#2 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:44 PM

The Wyeast 3787 has been a nice yeast for quite a few of my brews in the last couple of years. I only keg, so I cannot comment on bottle conditioning, but I have found that this yeast does put off some interesting esters at first\ and some nice lingering ones as well... I leave "these beers be" for at least 3 months after kegging-- and they settle into some fine Belgium-style beers. Enjoy the not so American funk!

#3 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:29 AM

3787 is the Westmalle strain as I recall. I've used it quite a bit in making Belgian blondes, dubbels, trippels, and quads. It will throw some very interesting esters but I have never had issues with plastic like aromas. I build starters at room temp but when I pitch I start the ferment at around 64°F and ramp it up to 74°F over a couple days. This is nothing more scientific than starting the fermentation in my basement and moving it upstairs once the ferment has been going a couple days.Also as Kansan said I think this yeast will clean itself up if given a little extra time. This yeast is my standard for trappist styles.

#4 VirginiaBeach

VirginiaBeach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:03 PM

Hmm, just noticed the rubber stopper has a very strong new rubber smell to it. Maybe this is what I'm smelling along with the esters. Hopefully so, when I swirl the yeast around to give it some oxygen the air lock starts bubbling and the smells come out, so maybe the underside of the stopper has put some of that smell in the flask and it gets pushed out along with the other smells.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users