#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:59 PM

So i got home from work, and found that my fermenter was too warm. It was at between 70 and 72, this is the one that Ken's MLPA is fermenting in. So I put a tub that I bought in my second bathroom and start filling with water. I was surprised that the cold water in my house is 64 degrees, which unless someone says other wise is an acceptable temp for WLP001 California Ale Yeast.I thought it would be much cooler than that.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:39 PM

64 is good for WLP001. If you have one of these tubs, the best bet is to have it someplace that is already cool to a point. A basement works well and adding frozen water bottles will help also. If you live in a warm climate and do not have a basement, the swamp cooler method may not work well for you. You can find plastic water, Gatorade, apple juice bottles all over and just fill them, freeze them, etc. When I'm making a lager and I want to keep the temp cool overnight or when I'm out of the house for hours at a time, I use larger plastic bottles (½ gallon or maybe a full gallon?) and put that in there to keep temps down for longer periods. Good luck.

#3 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:09 PM

Tubs and sinks are excellent at keeping the fermentation temperature under control.

#4 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35406 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:45 AM

I usually sit the carboy in a few inches of water, throw in a few frozen water bottles and wrap the carboy in an old wet tee shirt. Change the bottles every day with fresh ones.

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:45 AM

One quick comment... I noticed last night that the ground water temps are starting to rise in the Bay Area. All the more reason for me to figure out how to pump and recirculate chilled water through my CFC, and time to get a pastic tub to put my fermenter in. Just put the T-Shirt over the carboy and it will wick the water up. Get a few water bottles and freeze them and occassionaly put them in the tub to help keep the water cool (ok, admittedly, this is for OUR summer brewing when it gets warmer up here in NorCal).Ken... basement? what's that? Just kidding. I miss mine from when I lived in Wisconsin, but when you live on or near a fault line... they just don't build the houses that way. Kind of wierd for a midwestern boy not have a place to run in the event of a tornado... but it took me a bit to figure out that I wouldn't have that risk, nor would I have to shovel snow.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:52 AM

I agree. The tub-of-cool-water trick is fine for some, but if you live in a ranch in southern TX or on the 20th floor of a condo complex in Phoenix, it may not work. My basement stays pretty cool all year round but it's almost effortless to make good lagers in my swamp bucket in the winter. In the summer I just use a few more frozen bottles and rotate them more often. Cheers!

#7 Given2fly

Given2fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:18 AM

I used my Fermentation Cooler in the Austin TX heat with no problems.

#8 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48004 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:56 AM

I used my Fermentation Cooler in the Austin TX heat with no problems.

Hey G2F, there's a link at the bottom of that page that goes to some strange place... :cheers:

#9 Given2fly

Given2fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:45 PM

Hey G2F, there's a link at the bottom of that page that goes to some strange place... :cheers:

I know, I need to update my website...there are a few 'strange' links that need removed (aka modified) :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users