8 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 08:32 AM

So, I am out of pils malt but flush with wheat because of bad decisions in grain buys.  I am debating just making a lager with wheat as the base in stead of pils.  Most likely it would be about 95% Wheat and then 5% Carahell or even just carafoam.  Hops is where I am in debate.  I have a fair amount of traditional Euro hops but I was thinking maybe just using some Nelson Sauvin in there.  Nelson sometimes remind people of white wine and wheat is sometimes said ( not by me) to come across as tart.  I wonder how a dry pilsner with wheat and Nelson would be.

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 27 May 2021 - 08:49 AM

I've made 50/50  2-row/wheat ales with Nelson Sauvin that I thought were tasty.  You might invest in some rice hulls.  B)

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 09:09 AM

I've made 50/50  2-row/wheat ales with Nelson Sauvin that I thought were tasty.  You might invest in some rice hulls.  B)

I could mix it with two row as I should have plenty.  I was just thinking about rice hulls and trying to remember if I threw them out during my last purge.  I do BIAB these days so at least I will not have a stuck mash in the traditional sense.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 May 2021 - 09:31 AM

I've never tried a nearly 100% wheat beer. Hopefully this is biab???

Eta: should have refreshed before replying!

Edited by Mando, 27 May 2021 - 09:31 AM.

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 06:37 PM

I'd go 50/50 with 2-row and let it rip. Once you hit it with nelson the malt character will be pretty secondary if not irrelevant.

#6 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22070 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 28 May 2021 - 04:06 AM

Nelson has me intrigued. Looking at YVH, they currently only have 2 oz packs (2019) for $4. I looked at Hops Direct, I haven't ordered from them in years. But overall, their prices seem quite low. 2020 NS is $10 for 8 oz. Has anyone ordered from Hops Direct lately? They also offer a 10% veterans discount.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 04:12 AM

Nelson has me intrigued. Looking at YVH, they currently only have 2 oz packs (2019) for $4. I looked at Hops Direct, I haven't ordered from them in years. But overall, their prices seem quite low. 2020 NS is $10 for 8 oz. Has anyone ordered from Hops Direct lately? They also offer a 10% veterans discount.

My last time from HD was the infamous $5/5# hallertau.  Hops were good and I have never had issues with them.  I like YVH because they ship so fast but HD is good too.

I'd go 50/50 with 2-row and let it rip. Once you hit it with nelson the malt character will be pretty secondary if not irrelevant.

The 50/50 does make sense.  I plan to be light handed with the Nelson so this will still be a lager and not an IPL or anything in that vein.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 May 2021 - 05:16 AM

My last time from HD was the infamous $5/5# hallertau.  Hops were good and I have never had issues with them.  I like YVH because they ship so fast but HD is good too.

The 50/50 does make sense.  I plan to be light handed with the Nelson so this will still be a lager and not an IPL or anything in that vein.

I think I might miss the barley if I didn't put at least some in there.  but again I've never tried it so it's possible I'd like full on wheat.

#9 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22070 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 28 May 2021 - 05:23 AM

I emailed HD with a copy of my DD 214. I'll wait until they confirm it before placing my order. Looking like a bigger order than I expected as I keep adding more and more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users