#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 May 2021 - 04:49 AM

So I get brewing related stuff on "my feed". Google gets me.

https://www.brewboun...ing-techniques/

I've been seeing stuff that says cool/cold and only for a couple of days is ideal. This sounds good to me. I could do it in primary before transferring to my serving kegs. The thing I always hate is exposing my finished beer to O2. Dry hopping cool kind of rules out doing this during fermentation. Is there a Homebrewing method to solve this problem that isn't too crazy?

Edited by Mando, 01 May 2021 - 05:33 AM.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 May 2021 - 01:40 PM

reading this thread to see if there is some insight....

https://www.homebrew...?topic=25880.15

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 03:42 PM

I am not a fan of the cold dh. I have tried it a and was not a fan. I crash to 38 and drop yeast then bring to 55-60 for dry hopping then crash after 3 days. I built a dryhopper I can purge and do it under pressure.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 May 2021 - 09:56 AM

I am not a fan of the cold dh. I have tried it a and was not a fan. I crash to 38 and drop yeast then bring to 55-60 for dry hopping then crash after 3 days. I built a dryhopper I can purge and do it under pressure.

I know I've probably seen this dry hopper but have forgotten.  for posterity's sake can you post a pic?  I think the only way I can currently avoid most oxidation would be to put the dry hops in the receiving keg and then use a lot of CO2 to purge it.

Edited by Mando, 02 May 2021 - 10:00 AM.

#5 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 02 May 2021 - 11:18 AM

OTOH, I've had such good results with 48 hours at 35F I'll never do it ant other way.  I have to admit that this is about the only place I've ever heard of unsatisfactory results.  As to O2, overblown concern IMO.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 12:13 PM

OTOH, I've had such good results with 48 hours at 35F I'll never do it ant other way. I have to admit that this is about the only place I've ever heard of unsatisfactory results. As to O2, overblown concern IMO.

I have seen others talk about it too so it is not just me. Maybe it is personal preference, maybe hop quality? I found the dh so muted it was like there was nothing in there and that was with 6oz. Many ways to skin the cat and I will just use the methods that work best for my taste. In now way am I saying not to do it. I think the method should be tried like anything else and go with what you like best.

Edited by HVB, 02 May 2021 - 12:14 PM.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 May 2021 - 12:20 PM

OTOH, I've had such good results with 48 hours at 35F I'll never do it ant other way. I have to admit that this is about the only place I've ever heard of unsatisfactory results. As to O2, overblown concern IMO.

What is your process? I've never really removed the hops. I usually do it cold already so this would be a good one variable change (sort of).

Where do you dry hop? How do separate the hops after a couple of days?

As for results I'm often not quite satisfied with my dry hopped beers. Sometimes I nail it sometimes I don't.

Edited by Mando, 02 May 2021 - 12:22 PM.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 02 May 2021 - 12:25 PM

I have seen others talk about it too so it is not just me. Maybe it is personal preference, maybe hop quality? I found the dh so muted it was like there was nothing in there and that was with 6oz. Many ways to skin the cat and I will just use the methods that work best for my taste. In now way am I saying not to do it. I think the method should be tried like anything else and go with what you like best.

I believe temperature has an effect as you say. And again as you say it probably comes down to personal preference which way you like it. Even for one person I wonder if the recipe matters as to which way they'd prefer it.

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 May 2021 - 10:32 AM

It's gotta be the hops...either quality or variety.  For me it comes off fresh, forward and ;ong lasting.

What is your process? I've never really removed the hops. I usually do it cold already so this would be a good one variable change (sort of).

Where do you dry hop? How do separate the hops after a couple of days?

As for results I'm often not quite satisfied with my dry hopped beers. Sometimes I nail it sometimes I don't.

I crash for 3-5 days at 35F, add the dry hops for 48 hours, then keg. 

I believe temperature has an effect as you say. And again as you say it probably comes down to personal preference which way you like it. Even for one person I wonder if the recipe matters as to which way they'd prefer it.

Yeah, personal preference is everything.  There is a tone of research to back up the method and more and more commercial brewers are doing it.  But if someone doesn't like the results, then they shouldn't do it just because others do.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 May 2021 - 10:36 AM

So you dry hop in primary. Do you contain your hops or filter your dip tube?

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 10:58 AM

It's gotta be the hops...either quality or variety.  For me it comes off fresh, forward and ;ong lasting.

I crash for 3-5 days at 35F, add the dry hops for 48 hours, then keg. 

Yeah, personal preference is everything.  There is a tone of research to back up the method and more and more commercial brewers are doing it.  But if someone doesn't like the results, then they shouldn't do it just because others do.

I never liked how hops came across that were done in teh keg at serving temps either.  

The hops I have used were fresh crop from Hop Heaven or YVH and were mainly Citra, Vic Secret and Galaxy.  

I still DH at a lower temp than I had previously but not in the low 30's.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 May 2021 - 11:17 AM

If you do 60f now how warm was it before?

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 11:32 AM

If you do 60f now how warm was it before?

I do 55-60 now.  Before I was at ferm temp so mid 60-70. I would like to try the method again with other hops but right now I can not find time to even brew so if I do get a chance I do not want to play around with something that I did not have good luck with.  I keep hoping I will find time but that is a pipedream at this point.

#14 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 03 May 2021 - 12:30 PM

So you dry hop in primary. Do you contain your hops or filter your dip tube?

I use conicals and put the pellets in loose

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 May 2021 - 12:42 PM

I use conicals and put the pellets in loose

Lucky! So you can just dump them prior to transfer?

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 01:03 PM

I do not have conicals but a dished bottom and rotating racking arm. I will use a filter on my very hoppy beers. I found it makes a difference.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 May 2021 - 01:07 PM

I have no such system right now. I'll figure it out!

#18 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 01:45 PM

I have no such system right now. I'll figure it out!

This is what I use

00100lr-PORTRAIT-00100-BURST202008071158

Edited by HVB, 03 May 2021 - 01:46 PM.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 May 2021 - 02:30 PM

This is what I use

00100lr-PORTRAIT-00100-BURST202008071158

you circulate the finished beer around through the canister?

ideally I'd like to not add a pump if I can help it since I don't need one otherwise.  I have a lot of wants though.

not cleaning extra kegs

not spending lots of money

not using a lot of extra CO2

I know - such a baby I am!

Edited by Mando, 03 May 2021 - 02:40 PM.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 May 2021 - 02:35 PM

if I'm going to do this in primary for a couple of days I'll need to either put the hops in a large SS mesh tube or I'll need to put the large SS mesh tube around my dip tube.  I've done the latter in the past and I think it went okay although towards the end of the transfer it started to maybe get a little clogged up.  nothing too crazy though.

I kind of wonder if it's worse that the hops compress in the tube a little bit or if they settle to the bottom of the fermentor and get trapped in the yeast cake.

Edited by Mando, 03 May 2021 - 02:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users