#1 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13704 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 27 February 2021 - 05:59 PM

It's time. Finished up the Tomb of Annihilation campaign last February and took what was only intended to be a short break that has stretched to today.

With the release of all the new subclasses in Tasha's that look fun, the announcement of the new Ravenloft book, and Rime of the Frostmaiden.... it's time for a new campaign.

Anyone still playing?

#2 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26167 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 28 February 2021 - 07:38 AM

#3 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40956 posts
  • LocationCedar Rapids, Ia

Posted 28 February 2021 - 03:53 PM

I'm on a Dungeon of the Mad Mage campaign right now. But I'm really digging my arena games

#4 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13704 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 28 February 2021 - 10:03 PM

I'm on a Dungeon of the Mad Mage campaign right now. But I'm really digging my arena games

How are you liking it? I've wanted to run it since it was first announced. It's been hard getting people interested in such a large dungeon crawl though :(

#5 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40956 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 09:08 AM

How are you liking it? I've wanted to run it since it was first announced. It's been hard getting people interested in such a large dungeon crawl though :(

I like it a lot.  It's huge. Are you using roll20?  If you have all your tokens on the map, it lags really bad.  But I love the story. 

#6 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13704 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 02 March 2021 - 05:42 PM

Yeah, I'd be playing on roll20 - used it for almost all my d&d these last few years.

I'm excited for Candlekeep Mysteries and how they make it easy to string them into an overall campaign.

#7 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40956 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 06:13 PM

Looking forward to Ravenloft. But I'm really more into the arena right now. Game tonight. 9pm PST

#8 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40956 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 10:49 AM

My character in the arena, next season, is going to be full support.  He's going to be a whacked out hippie peacenik dude.  I am going to make him a college of lore bard.  Heals, buffs, and cutting words all day.  His only weapon will be a hookah, which I am going to spec as a staff.  

#9 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13704 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 05 March 2021 - 10:52 AM

Well you convinced - joining a Dungeon of the Mad Mage campaign on roll20. Session 0 is Monday.

Without spoilers, any suggestions on character? I've wanted to play a Rune Knight as well as a Fathomless Warlock since Tashas but can't make up my mind.

#10 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40956 posts

Posted 05 March 2021 - 11:29 AM

Well you convinced - joining a Dungeon of the Mad Mage campaign on roll20. Session 0 is Monday.

Without spoilers, any suggestions on character? I've wanted to play a Rune Knight as well as a Fathomless Warlock since Tashas but can't make up my mind.

Make sure you have a healer in the party.  For real.  What level are you starting at?  Don't kill everything you see.  There are factions in the undermountain.  Goblins are not necessarily bad, etc. 

#11 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13704 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 05 March 2021 - 03:44 PM

We'll be starting at level 5. Tentatively we have a Way of Mercy Monk, Wildfire Druid, some wizard, and a rogue

#12 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13704 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 09 March 2021 - 01:28 PM

Went with a Fathomless Warlock. She's not very powerful but should be pretty fun to play.

DM has so messed up homebrew rules that I'm not entirely down with.

If you drop unconscious and revive back up you gain 1 level of exhausting. That seems fine, whatever. If you drop 4 times your character is maimed (loss of limb). WTF

1s on attack rules have crit failures. Dumb rule that punishes characters as they level. Like a level 11 Fighter is much more likely to just chuck their sword down the hall than a level 1? Makes no sense.

Flanking rules are also dumb and make a ton of abilities obsolete

#13 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40956 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 02:20 PM

Went with a Fathomless Warlock. She's not very powerful but should be pretty fun to play.

DM has so messed up homebrew rules that I'm not entirely down with.

If you drop unconscious and revive back up you gain 1 level of exhausting. That seems fine, whatever. If you drop 4 times your character is maimed (loss of limb). WTF

1s on attack rules have crit failures. Dumb rule that punishes characters as they level. Like a level 11 Fighter is much more likely to just chuck their sword down the hall than a level 1? Makes no sense.

Flanking rules are also dumb and make a ton of abilities obsolete

My DM allows advantage on flanking.

#14 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13704 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 09 March 2021 - 06:18 PM

Most I find do. I'm not a fan. It wipes some class abilities obsolete in one swipe while encouraging these awkward lines in combat

#15 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40956 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 02:23 PM

You would like the arena play

#16 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13704 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 23 March 2021 - 11:18 AM

I'll check that out, it sounds pretty fun.

We're two sessions in so far (plus a session zero) and I'm really having a blast. We're still on level one but I was a little concerned this campaign wouldn't have enough lore to stay interesting but that hasn't been the case.

My new group is fantastic as well. Really fun bunch

#17 Brownbeard

Brownbeard

Comptroller of Ilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40956 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 11:22 AM

Tonight is Level 20, Thursday night is Level 20 + Epic Boon, and next week we fight celestials.  Then  it is back to level 1, with new characters. 

#18 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13704 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 13 June 2021 - 09:24 AM

We still haven't made it to Skullport yet lol

#19 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13704 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 29 June 2021 - 12:36 PM

Yeah we fucked up. So we're still messing around the 2nd level and got curious about the arc gates.

Long story short, our group of level 6 characters teleported to the end of the dungeon and straight to Halaster.

Our session ended as he was about to nuke us and we've been instructed to make new characters lol.

Oops

#20 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13704 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 04 August 2021 - 09:44 AM

Hahaha finally fought a Xorn! Got to kill it with Hellish Rebuke

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users