#1 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:00 AM

Tried to do a firmware update to my BIOS yesterday and it bricked my motherboard.  Stupid cheap ASUS motherboard!!

So this gave me the opportunity to upgrade the board with an ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus and 32GB of 3200 RAM.  

Never going to buy another pre-built system again.  I would have thought something that had the ROG STRIX branding would have been good, but they crippled the BIOS, and really did a piss-poor job of allowing upgrades.  So kind of a blessing I guess.

Now I just have to hope this new mATX board mounts in this case.  It should as the mobo in the case currently is within the mATX standards.

#2 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59118 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:07 AM

Tried to do a firmware update to my BIOS yesterday and it bricked my motherboard.  Stupid cheap ASUS motherboard!!

So this gave me the opportunity to upgrade the board with an ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus and 32GB of 3200 RAM.  

Never going to buy another pre-built system again.  I would have thought something that had the ROG STRIX branding would have been good, but they crippled the BIOS, and really did a piss-poor job of allowing upgrades.  So kind of a blessing I guess.

Now I just have to hope this new mATX board mounts in this case.  It should as the mobo in the case currently is within the mATX standards.

Forget the case, man, just leave it out with a table fan.

Sorry to hear all that. The prebuilts do come with better support, but don't tinker well.  

#3 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:23 AM

Forget the case, man, just leave it out with a table fan.

Sorry to hear all that. The prebuilts do come with better support, but don't tinker well.  

I'm actually happy this happened.  That mobo pissed me off in many ways, mainly having to do with the BIOS being crippled.  ROG STRIX mobo yet they stripped out any of the tweak/OC stuff completely that someone with a ROG tag would expect.  Severely limiting the simplest of upgrades like upgrading RAM to something beyond 2666.  Heck, it didn't even have the option to enable XMP.

#4 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111733 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:32 AM

I'm a big fan of mobos with a dual/backup bios for this very reason.

#5 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 12:01 PM

I'm a big fan of mobos with a dual/backup bios for this very reason.

Agreed.  That was one of the components that led to my choice on this new mobo.  "BIOS Flashback".  :D

#6 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59118 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 04 December 2020 - 12:06 PM

I'm actually happy this happened.  That mobo pissed me off in many ways, mainly having to do with the BIOS being crippled.  ROG STRIX mobo yet they stripped out any of the tweak/OC stuff completely that someone with a ROG tag would expect.  Severely limiting the simplest of upgrades like upgrading RAM to something beyond 2666.  Heck, it didn't even have the option to enable XMP.

Medeival. 

Like selling someone a car with the hood welded shut.

#7 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 06 December 2020 - 09:39 PM

New board installed, new RAM arrived today and installed.

At first I thought I had a DOA board as it wouldn't power on. Turns out when I pushed the connector on the header I didn't have it in the right pins. Stupid clumsy man hands and old man eyes! Haha

#8 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59118 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 07 December 2020 - 04:15 AM

Ha, i did that with the graphics card. Older psu with a 4+4 connector instead of a straight 8. I tried to push a 6 ... and ... wtf am i writing? TEN!

#9 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 01:32 PM

There is something strange about this board. After pushing the power button it takes like 5 seconds before anything happens.

Could it be due to under powered power supply or something?

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 December 2020 - 02:09 PM

Is there any indication what's going on during that five seconds? I recall a long time ago I had a motherboard with raid controllers that made boot take a while even though I wasn't using raid.

#11 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 04:37 PM

Is there any indication what's going on during that five seconds? I recall a long time ago I had a motherboard with raid controllers that made boot take a while even though I wasn't using raid.

Nothing at all. I push the button, and Nothing happens. Then 5 to 10 seconds later it comes to life.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 December 2020 - 10:22 AM

have you checked your bios settings to see what the boot order is?  I kind of wonder if there are things you don't see happening because maybe your monitor hasn't synced up with the video signal or something.

have you checked if you can do a BIOS update?  I'm pretty sure those are generally pretty easy to do compared to the good old days.

#13 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 10:49 PM

I'm tired of fecking with trying to work around amd bandaid this pre-built asus rog strix box after the bricked motherboard.

Ordered a new cougar panzer max case,, msi tomahawk x570 motherboard, 750 watt power supply, liquid aio cpu cooler, another 32 gigs of corsair vengeance ram (total will be 64 gigs).

Going to transplant my ryzen 7 3700x cpu and rtx 2070 super.

In a while I'm going to get a new cpu and gpu and give the current to my son for his first gaming pc. He doesn't know that though.

Oh yeah, im going to have him help me build the new one.

#14 inv

inv

Not Invalid

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13701 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 02 January 2021 - 06:06 PM

Oh that will be fun!

#15 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19199 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 09:38 AM

Nice!

#16 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 08:08 PM

Looks like the motherboard is on backorder. :stabby:

Oh well, ill just transplant the ASUS TUF B550 plus board into it until the tomahawk arrives. First world problem #2319 :D

#17 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 07 January 2021 - 05:38 PM

Case, Motherboard, and Power Supply delivered this afternoon.  Now just waiting for the CPU 360mm AIO water cooler to get delivered.  Going to put it all together this weekend hopefully.  I'll take pics and share if anyone is interested?

My only concern is Windows 10.  I have Windows 10 Pro on my m.2 SSD in my current motherboard.  When i bricked the original piece of shit board I transplanted the m.2 from that to the replacement TUF gaming board.  I had to re-activate windows and tell it I had a hardware change.  That was fairly recently so I'm not so sure it is going to accept another transplant in such a short period of time.  We'll see!

#18 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 07:46 PM

Alright, got it done over the weekend. I suck at cable management in general, but given the stiff flat cables from the corsair psu and the locations of the headers on the motherboard I pretty much just did the best I could with my impatience and the giant case. I might revisit it and try to do better, but it works for now.

I had a problem with a TON of BSOD's and thought it was maybe a ram compatibility problem or maybe the cpu got fecked during the transplant. When I say a ton, im talking about after boot up, 5 seconds in, move the mouse and BSOD.

After many hours of digging online, especially reddit, I ran across a reddit post where a guy was having the same problem with the same ryzen 3700x and board. He found doing an adjustment to the cpu voltage offset of .05 worked. So before dropping 500.00 on a 3900x, I tried it and boom, #winning.

I'll tell you what though, that fractle designs 360mm water cooler is fecking bad ass.

20210109-132759.jpg

20210109-132856.jpg

20210109-140819.jpg

20210109-172310.jpg

#19 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59118 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:40 PM

Man, 360 mm. To think i was intimidated by the 240. Air flow looks good, but if you really develop a cager for cable management, you can just get shorter cables.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 January 2021 - 04:32 PM

I like the (nearly) all black color scheme.  looks mean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users