#1 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18999 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 14 November 2020 - 01:02 PM

As I've mentioned before, I will completely redo our laundry room once our elderly cat passes. His litter box, along with a cheap plastic utility sink, occupy the 5' x 5' niche off of the laundry room that will eventually be my brew space.

For now, I am brewing in the garage (laundry room is right off the garage), but now that the weather is getting colder, I want to set up to use water from the laundry room rather than running in from an outside hose bib. This mainly pertains to cooling wort with an immersion chiller. 

We don't want to keep the cheap plastic utility sink. I'd like something nice. To make this work, at the moment, I could buy an inexpensive $40 threaded utility faucet to run the chiller off of. But eventually, we'll get a nice SS utility sink (which usually use a backsplash mounted faucet).  I was thinking about just getting a nice utility sink like we want now, and avoid wasting the $40 on a temporary solution.

I brew with the Anvil 10.5 system.

I'm thinking about getting this utility sink: https://www.hotelres...psaAp4-EALw_wcB

Eventually, after the cat passes, I will redo the floors and I would be able to put a 16" floor cabinet to the left of the sink. The Anvil should fit under the left side of the sink, but if not that space could be used for other storage. I'd also get a couple of matching wall cabinets. 

It's a small space, but what I have. Any other thoughts on else I could look at? I could get a smaller dedicated sink and do a bigger cabinet/counter, but I kind of like the idea of an integrated drainboard with the sink, and if the brewery fits under the sink, that would be great.

#2 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18999 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 01:28 PM

I really like this one for the price (shipping adds $$$ to above) but it only comes with drainboard configuration on the right; it would need to be left: https://www.amazon.c...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Or I might be better off just getting something simple like this and a bigger cabinet/counter: https://www.amazon.c...W218CR23KDYECYR

#3 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18999 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 01:34 PM

Or this looks slick and would be a single integrated surface that would just take the whole wall, but no countertop to mess with. Would fit the faucet I would be buying anyway for the current utility sink.  :scratch: 

https://www.webstaur.../600ST3060.html

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 November 2020 - 03:15 PM

those are pretty fancy compared to my composite utility sink mounted in old countertops I salvaged from someone's kitchen remodel :P

#5 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18999 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 03:46 PM

I would be fine with that, but it's part of the laundry room as well and the wife wants it to look a certain way. We plan on staying in this house for 20 years, so I'm ok with it.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 November 2020 - 04:54 PM

I would be fine with that, but it's part of the laundry room as well and the wife wants it to look a certain way. We plan on staying in this house for 20 years, so I'm ok with it.

you'll never be sad that you have that sweet stainless steel sink.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 05:23 PM

Or this looks slick and would be a single integrated surface that would just take the whole wall, but no countertop to mess with. Would fit the faucet I would be buying anyway for the current utility sink. :scratch:

https://www.webstaur.../600ST3060.html

Man, I would love something like this.

#8 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18999 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 05:28 PM

That's my favorite, but the problem is it's 30" wide instead of 24" so makes the space a little cramped. Shipping is expensive. Might talk to some local restaurant supply places and see what they have.

Also, if I had my way we'd redo our whole kitchen with stainless stuff like that. :D

Edited by porter, 14 November 2020 - 05:29 PM.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 November 2020 - 05:31 PM

I'm going to check the size of my sink for reference... just a min

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 November 2020 - 05:33 PM

my sink is about 17x22"

I can fit everything in mine.  that size might be getting tight but most things you don't actually have to put in the sink anyway.

#11 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18999 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 07:35 PM

I'm leaning more towards this one. I really need a 44-48" sink, the 60" is too big. This isn't as deep, which is helpful for the space (actually only 4 feet wide). This business will ship for "free" if your order is $500 (otherwise shipping is $200+ as with most of these restaurant supply places). 

https://www.theresta...om/items/389155

I think the stainless leg and bracing upgrades are probably worth it. I'm sure I can find $100 of other cool restaurant grade stuff to get to get the free shipping.

On the other hand, I suppose for now I could just run the wort chiller off the line for the washer. That should work. It may beat doing the plumbing twice (I hate plumbing). I will also have to think about how to secure this. I have regular taps for a sink, not the 8" spaced taps. I would run 90 degree adapter fittings through the backsplash. I guess I would drill holes through the backsplash and do lag bolts (with a plywood block behind the backsplash and a big washer in front) into the studs. Or I guess I could use some sort of metal strap on the legs and tie into the studs somehow. 

#12 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 15 November 2020 - 07:57 AM

I have that same sink you linked in the OP. Works great for my needs. You can easily fit a 10gal pot in the sink.

#13 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 17 November 2020 - 04:37 PM

My local (atthe time) Costco had one of those. I should have bought it. I think it will be a great addition to the brewhouse!

#14 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 23 November 2020 - 02:56 PM

Porter, I've got a plastic utility sink that you can have if you want it. I upgraded to a commercial sink a long time ago but still have this one. If you want it let me know and we can meet up somewhere for a brew or you can come over and grab it.

#15 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 November 2020 - 04:28 PM

He's ALIIIIIIVE!

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:33 PM

He's ALIIIIIIVE!

could just be a bot designed to impersonate him.

#17 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18999 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:41 AM

Thanks Mtn - I've got a plastic utility sink and am looking to upgrade to SS. Maybe a beer someday when things calm down a bit. Cheers.

#18 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 08 December 2020 - 04:19 PM

So what research have y'all done on sink suppliers?

Mtn- Which one did you buy?

#19 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 09 December 2020 - 12:26 PM

Mtn- Which one did you buy?

I found a used commercial sink with three....um, what are those things called?.....tubs? The only issue I have with it is that the tubs are a little too small. But it's way better than a plastic utility sink. Then again, a plastic utility sink is way better than nothing.

Pic attached

Attached Files

#20 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25477 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 29 December 2020 - 05:28 PM

Check out mop sinks or basin sinks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic