#1 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18999 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:04 PM

Anyone else make cyser? We went to a semi-local orchard yesterday and I got 5 gallons of pasteurized (no preservative) cider for $35. Seemed like a pretty good deal. I don't have a reasonable source for local honey so just end up buying it at Costco. Want to get back into making a yearly batch (keg the batch from last fall and put a new batch in every year).

Right now I have a batch that is either 2 or 3 years old (not sure) that will be getting kicked out of the carboy and into a keg. My favorite cyser (or, I guess, melomel) I've made is with a cherry cider blend. I may skip that this time but might try to find some cherry juice to add to the mix.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 September 2020 - 06:01 AM

I've only done cider. I haven't tried much mead but what I have tried tasted very boozy to me which I don't really enjoy. Maybe I just haven't had the right stuff yet.

#3 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18999 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 06:50 AM

Cyser does a good job of balancing the boozy character from the honey. I don't really care much for ciders or mead, but really like cyser.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 September 2020 - 01:09 PM

Cyser does a good job of balancing the boozy character from the honey. I don't really care much for ciders or mead, but really like cyser.

maybe I'll give it a shot sometime when I'm thinking about doing a cider again.  can you not get unpasteurized cider near you?  historically I have used that and let nature take its course (no pitching of yeast).

#5 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18999 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:05 PM

Colorado is not New England. ;) We have orchards out on the western slope, but that's a 5-6 hour drive. We have orchards closer in Canon City, but the crop was wiped out by hail this year. I feel lucky just to get some usable cider at all.

#6 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 September 2020 - 11:04 AM

UV pasteurized cider might as well be unpasteurized for the purpose of fermenting, in my experience with local cider makers.  I've had it spontaneously ferment when not refrigerated.

The Fall's Bounty that the boards did as group brews were pretty awesome.  

#7 porter

porter

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18999 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 12:04 PM

Well, it certainly took off right away. It did say to keep refrigerated at all times, likely because as you say UV was used to reduce microorganisms but probably not 100%. I still pitched yeast. I just used US-05, like I do for most everything else.

Fall's Bounty was spiced, IIRC?

Edited by porter, 27 September 2020 - 12:18 PM.

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 September 2020 - 06:34 PM

Well, it certainly took off right away. It did say to keep refrigerated at all times, likely because as you say UV was used to reduce microorganisms but probably not 100%. I still pitched yeast. I just used US-05, like I do for most everything else.

Fall's Bounty was spiced, IIRC?

yes, spiced

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users