#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 June 2020 - 06:25 AM

My 20lber is down to only about 12-15 PSI.  it will probably allow me to serve enough beers this weekend if I get some variety going.  I could always get the 5lb tank out if I needed to.  I'm going to Kramer this thing and see how much I can get out of it.  Is that what you guys do?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 06:38 AM

I do not go till it is 100% empty but I have several backups so I do not worry about being out.

#3 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 19 June 2020 - 07:41 AM

I do not go till it is 100% empty but I have several backups so I do not worry about being out.

This, but I run it dry. I just picked up a 20# and 5# yesterday from getting filled. I didn't time it very well and both tanks needed a hydro test.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:37 AM

This, but I run it dry. I just picked up a 20# and 5# yesterday from getting filled. I didn't time it very well and both tanks needed a hydro test.

Take that, wallet!

#5 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19045 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 19 June 2020 - 09:10 AM

When it runs out. My pressure gauge doesn't work.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 June 2020 - 11:59 AM

When it runs out. My pressure gauge doesn't work.

even without that you can tell by the sound when the end is neigh.  obviously this is something I learned b/c I had the pressure gauge to confirm but now I wouldn't need it anymore.

#7 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19045 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 19 June 2020 - 02:44 PM

even without that you can tell by the sound when the end is neigh. obviously this is something I learned b/c I had the pressure gauge to confirm but now I wouldn't need it anymore.

I need to secure my tank anyway with kids around. Should build a Weber-style gauge/mount on the side of my kegerator.

Edited by porter, 19 June 2020 - 02:50 PM.

#8 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 19 June 2020 - 05:47 PM

I have 3 5#ers I drain two totally before refilling. Usually one is on the kegerator and one has a regulator for cleaning and what not. 9/10 I have oopsied and missed a connection leak some where when one goes dead (often despite intense examination for leaks). 

#9 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 19 June 2020 - 07:31 PM

Same

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 20 June 2020 - 09:35 AM

My 20lber is down to only about 12-15 PSI.  it will probably allow me to serve enough beers this weekend if I get some variety going.  I could always get the 5lb tank out if I needed to.  I'm going to Kramer this thing and see how much I can get out of it.  Is that what you guys do?

What's your serving pressure?  I wouldn't think a tank would push much, if anything, at 12-15 psi.  15 psi of gas pressure is about 99.99% empty compared to a full tank.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 June 2020 - 09:38 AM

What's your serving pressure?  I wouldn't think a tank would push much, if anything, at 12-15 psi.  15 psi of gas pressure is about 99.99% empty compared to a full tank.

well it still manages to recharge headspace to 10 PSI which is pretty good.  I bet it won't soon though!

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 21 June 2020 - 03:04 PM

To answer the OP, I consider it a candidate for refill as soon at the pressure on the tank gauge starts dropping.  That doesn't mean I'll refill it right away but the next available opportunity.

#13 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 21 June 2020 - 05:01 PM

To answer the OP, I consider it a candidate for refill as soon at the pressure on the tank gauge starts dropping.  That doesn't mean I'll refill it right away but the next available opportunity.

Pretty much the same here.  If it's still in date I need about 45 minutes round trip to get to my favorite that will refill right away and cheap.  Their hours suck.  Out of date - $$ and come back in a week or so after testing.  A couple tanks ago the guy was busy and waved me off when I wanted to pay.  Keller in KC.  If out of date I can swap at a liquor store that's closer and less $$ than testing and fill.

#14 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 21 June 2020 - 09:43 PM

I am in the camp of letting the tank run completely empty. I do have the benefit of having five 20# tanks and two 50# tanks, so I don't have to worry about any emergency and being without CO2, and I usually swap them once I have two or three tanks empty.

#15 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 22 June 2020 - 04:36 AM

I am in the camp of letting the tank run completely empty. I do have the benefit of having five 20# tanks and two 50# tanks, so I don't have to worry about any emergency and being without CO2, and I usually swap them once I have two or three tanks empty.

I don't think I've used that much CO2 in my entire 20+ years of homebrewing!  If I'm running the numbers correctly, that will carbonate ~1500 gallons of beer. 

#16 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 June 2020 - 07:06 AM

I don't think I've used that much CO2 in my entire 20+ years of homebrewing!  If I'm running the numbers correctly, that will carbonate ~1500 gallons of beer. 

yeah but do you have 150 Cornies? :D

#17 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 22 June 2020 - 12:54 PM

That’s an insane amount of CO2 capacity lol

#18 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 22 June 2020 - 04:21 PM

haha, I do go a bit overkill. I also only have around 90 kegs now (I was just over 100 at my peak).

I use CO2 for purging and storage purposes as well. I always store my kegs pressurized so that I can quickly identify those with leaks when I need to use a keg (this has saved me many times).

I don't like the thought of being in a position to have to rush to swap a tank in an emergency, I like being able to have more than enough time to swap at my leisure.

#19 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 22 June 2020 - 06:04 PM

two 20s, one ten and a five here.  I can usually wait but it's been so long on the 10 and 5....  guess I need to weigh them.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 June 2020 - 09:32 AM

$30 to refill my 20lber!

I think it used to be $15-20.  Is this a COVID related jump or has it just been going up in price like that since I last filled it something like 1-2 years ago?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users