- - - - -

What a predicament

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 *_Guest_MW2_*

*_Guest_MW2_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:48 PM

Was planning a 10.5g batch of Pils at 1.052, 39 IBU's, 90min boil. My pre boil was 1.051. Yikes. Problem is i only propped enough yeast for a 10.5g batch. By the time i cut the kettle pre boil to hit my anticipated gravity number I was at 15g. I was also planning on using a new pellet hop called Slovenian Celeia, 2.8 AA. So could you imagine how much pellets id need to get my BU:GU? Alot. And my past experience says id never get the beer to clear brilliant using that many pellet. My fix....was to forget the Celeia at 90 and 60 min. as planned but keep them for later in the boil. And use Gr. Magnum instead at 10.5 AA. When its time to chill, I will just fill my fermentor to my original 10.5g batch. But then i will have an extra 1-1.5 gal at least to do something with. I have an option of adding this to primary later when the yeast has grown from my batch, or cut it and can it for starters. Nothing goes to waste around here.I even had my eff. set to 85%. I hate getting good eff. sometimes.

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:09 PM

Wow sounds like you had a great brew session for sure. Congrats on the good eff and nice solve to the "problem" too. Where did u get those hops? You are the second person to mention those in the last day on here and I am curious of a source. I like to try new and interesting hops. Happy Fermentations.

#3 *_Guest_MW2_*

*_Guest_MW2_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:25 PM

Wow sounds like you had a great brew session for sure. Congrats on the good eff and nice solve to the "problem" too. Where did u get those hops? You are the second person to mention those in the last day on here and I am curious of a source. I like to try new and interesting hops. Happy Fermentations.

Hey thanks....My local brewpub scored 11#'s and they didn't fit into their styles. So thanks to my good buddy, i got some for free. The aroma is floral and slightly spicy. Cant wait.

#4 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:57 PM

Hey thanks....My local brewpub scored 11#'s and they didn't fit into their styles. So thanks to my good buddy, i got some for free. The aroma is floral and slightly spicy. Cant wait.

Sounds pretty good, and free hops is always a plus!

#5 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:11 PM

Good plan subbing the Magnum, it'll be interesting seeing how the Celeia plays.

#6 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:30 PM

Yea, let us know about the Celeia...FWIW, as a homebrew batch, I would have just rolled with the higher gravity...

#7 *_Guest_MW2_*

*_Guest_MW2_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:02 PM

Yea, let us know about the Celeia...FWIW, as a homebrew batch, I would have just rolled with the higher gravity...

Im interested in the Celeia a well. Seems like a decent Noble replacement.Nope. Didn't have enough yeast built for that big a beer either. I think under pitching reflects volume and gravity don't it?

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54135 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:30 PM

Those hops sound awesome and I think I saw them mentioned on another board too. The other Slovenian hop I use is Styrian Goldings and I love them dearly. These Celeia sound yummy... please post your results when your Pils is ready to drink. Cheers.

#9 *_Guest_MW2_*

*_Guest_MW2_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:35 PM

Ken,I use Styrians all the time too. They are a staple in my Belgians typically Saisons.

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:34 AM

I would've pulled off some of that wort and canned it for starters. Though, if you don't have the ability to can, that's not a very useful suggestion. :)

#11 *_Guest_MW2_*

*_Guest_MW2_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:54 PM

I would've pulled off some of that wort and canned it for starters. Though, if you don't have the ability to can, that's not a very useful suggestion. :D

Hey, I said that in my last sentence....Good idea! :shock:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users