#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:48 PM

I recently had some 10+ year old "old ale" I made.  still enjoyable.  obviously showing some age.

#2 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 13 May 2020 - 03:01 PM

I brewed a roasted marshmallow chocolate stout late 2012. I still have some and last drank one at Christmas time. Still very good.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 May 2020 - 04:06 PM

having that old bottle of homebrew almost makes me want to bottle half of a 10 gallon batch but then I remember how easy it is to keg :lol:.  I guess I could always keg a beer and let it age for a long time.   :scratch:   any reason to not let beer age a long time that way?

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 04:33 PM

Probably 8 year old pumpkin porter. It held up really well. Most beers I make now are for consumption not aging!

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 May 2020 - 04:51 PM

Probably 8 year old pumpkin porter. It held up really well. Most beers I make now are for consumption not aging!

yeah - well and that I keep drinking it faster than I've made it :P

#6 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 14 May 2020 - 06:00 AM

I have a couple bottles left of a 2004/5 barleywine I made to celebrate the birth of my daughter. Had one last year. I labeled them to celebrate every year but that fell apart when I though they were going down hill (they weren't).

I think I've had something older from the cellar of a fellow homebrew club members moving party. 

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 May 2020 - 04:56 PM

Maybe I should make a ris with that lager yeast!

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 07:06 PM

Maybe I should make a ris with that lager yeast!

So a Baltic Porter :)

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 May 2020 - 07:12 PM

Sorry that's what I meant! :blush:

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63970 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 May 2020 - 12:56 AM

Once I found a partial keg of my pilsner that had been left outside under my buddy's deck for a few years.  I had left it there after a party and completely forgotten about it.  It was outside through several summers and winters.  I did try it and it was not good.  It was still clean, to my surprise, but most of the flavor had disappeared.  It was identifiable as beer but not something you'd want to drink.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 15 May 2020 - 04:21 AM

how did this happen?  even an empty keg is precious enough to me that I wouldn't forget it.

#12 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 15 May 2020 - 02:29 PM

I started brewing in '94. Kegging somewhere around '97 or '98.

In 2008 after going AG for a few years or so I managed to find an old keg of my extract "stout" that was 10 years old and suffered from extract 'twang.'

Funny, thought I'd dumped all that, or drank it.

Ya know, maybe I'm over blowing this whole "my old extract beer really sucks" thing.

So I threw the corny in a fridge and hooked it up to an open tap.

Ummmm.

I was correct a decade previously. Seriously correct.

:unsure:

In the "God smiled" territory, I made a EXCELLENT Bordeaux in 2004 the likes of which I have not yet equaled.

A few years back I found the 5 minute finish with 3 distinct changing flavor profiles was getting a bit long in the tooth.

So I decided to follow the adage "Good wine is for drinking, not saving." And I sucked them all down (not all at once though). MODERATION guys!

When editing my PVR schedule on 2020-05-04 I put the title "May the 4th be with you."

THAT day, I found another case of 750s of the 2004 vintage.

I was quite happy. Yea, God smiled!

I'd have been happier if I had drunk them at their peak of flavor though.

Presently enjoying an Orange Melomel I bottled on 1994-10-10 I entitled "Attack of the killer Oranges."

So that's 16 years old. TASTY!!

Edited by Stout_fan, 15 May 2020 - 02:42 PM.

#13 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4907 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 16 May 2020 - 04:30 PM

I have some Cinnamon-Vanilla Holiday Porter that I brewed in around 2008 or so that I really didn't like. I couldn't bring myself to dump it, so I just stashed it away.

I recently tried some Boulevard Smokestack Series Stout that had a flavor I didn't like. I looked at the label and it had cinnamon and vanilla (among other things). I pulled a bottle of my porter and tried it... Sure enough, it had that same flavor that I found disagreeable. Turns out, there was nothing wrong with my beer... I just don't really like that particular cinnamon and vanilla flavor in a dark beer!

It pretty much tastes the same as when I bottled it (maybe a bit oxidized).

#14 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68748 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 May 2020 - 01:59 PM

I have a couple bottles left of a 2004/5 barleywine I made to celebrate the birth of my daughter. Had one last year. I labeled them to celebrate every year but that fell apart when I though they were going down hill (they weren't).

I think I've had something older from the cellar of a fellow homebrew club members moving party. 

is that A Big Ale? 

#15 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 18 May 2020 - 10:13 AM

12% if you are asking about the beer, a Thomas Hardy clone. No, if that is referring to a user name.

#16 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63970 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 19 May 2020 - 07:36 AM

how did this happen?  even an empty keg is precious enough to me that I wouldn't forget it.

It was back when you could get cornies for $12-$15.

12% if you are asking about the beer, a Thomas Hardy clone. No, if that is referring to a user name.

That reminds me that I have some 1994 Thomas Hardy's that I meant to drink last year for the 25th year anniversary.  I totally forgot!  I don't even remember where I put it TBH.

#17 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 25 May 2020 - 01:20 PM

I must have been enjoying too much of the Melomel and my math skills obviously suffered.

The melomel bottled in 1994 is 26, yea you drunkies (look who's talking) that's

TWENTY SIX FREAKIN' YEARS OLD !!!!

Edited by Stout_fan, 25 May 2020 - 01:21 PM.

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 May 2020 - 05:51 PM

I'll hopefully soon have some pretty high abv Baltic Porter. Can I keep these kegs at cellar temp? In the summer it's probably just under 70f. Winter it's probably 50f.

#19 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18998 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 14 August 2020 - 07:40 PM

I dumped out a 2 year old Arrogant Bastard clone that I never got around to drinking (10 gallon batch, only made it through one corny keg) and figured was likely bad the other day, to free up a keg. About 3/4 of the way through dumping the keg I thought, hey, maybe I should taste this. Sample was actually still pretty good. Doh. Will have to make that recipe again.

#20 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 21 August 2020 - 12:35 PM

I had some 25 year old homebrew from my friend that was in his attic. Pure sherry.

I had some 9 year old RIS that I made and bottled that was absolutely fantastic. Just ran out of my last bottle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users