#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 April 2020 - 05:02 AM

Is this for real? I already purge my kegs with fermentation out gassing and carbonate the beer naturally. I do use CO2 to push beer into the serving kegs and then to push the beer into my glass. I'm not sure how much CO2 I have left and it's got me a little nervous. I'm not sure if there is much else I can do to conserve.

Is this issue likely to resolve soon?

From what I hear it's mostly due to reduced ethanol production (apparently the CO2 is collected during this process, old fart style ;)). At some point people are going to be driving again.

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 22 April 2020 - 05:20 AM

Yeah I read that.  I would think the increase in ethanol being produced for sanitation would help though.  Anyway I just filled two 20s and have a 10 and 5 in reserve.  I'm good for a year at least

#3 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 22 April 2020 - 05:39 AM

And I just noticed yesterday all my tanks are on the low side. I need to look into a fill today.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 April 2020 - 05:49 AM

do you guys weigh the tanks to determine what you have left?  I know I'm pretty far from full on my 20lb tank but it might not be that close to empty either.  it's hard to tell.

Yeah I read that.  I would think the increase in ethanol being produced for sanitation would help though.  Anyway I just filled two 20s and have a 10 and 5 in reserve.  I'm good for a year at least

I was thinking that bars and restaurants being closed would reduce the need but those might be a drop in the bucket.  this whole thing has really made me realize how interrelated everything is.  I can survive social isolation with my family for a long time IF I have homebrew.

#5 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 06:03 AM

The place I go actually weighs them when you drop them off and you only pay for what they put in.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 April 2020 - 06:08 AM

Yeah, my place is a flat price to fill. I don't think the CO2 amount is really considered until you go up to a really big tank.

#7 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 06:15 AM

These are 20's, my 5's I just let run out and swap them. I only use the one in the kegerator and have one backup.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 06:34 AM

I was a bit worried as I have 3 empty 5#'s and one empty 2.5# but I mentioned to my father and he had a full 25# he gave me.  Fingers crossed I am good for a bit.  I keg purge as you mention and I think I will be adding some priming sugar to the fermenter while I condition this porter on cinnamon and vanilla.  That will help get it up in pressure before transfer.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 April 2020 - 06:50 AM

I was trying to think if there was a way to capture CO2 for later transfer or serving. Fermentation generates a lot of CO2.

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 07:03 AM

I was trying to think if there was a way to capture CO2 for later transfer or serving. Fermentation generates a lot of CO2.

Oh man .. you going all Oldfart on us...

in case you did not get the reference  http://www.brewboard...apture co2&st=0

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 April 2020 - 07:32 AM

Oh I get it!

Mando + covid19 = OF

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 April 2020 - 07:41 AM

Did he ever come up with anything? His ideas on page 1 are pretty bad! No offense OF wherever you are.

I don't get the idea that there is "bad" stuff in the out gassing. We already use that to force carb so how could it be bad to transfer or serve with it?

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 07:51 AM

He did if I remember right but it was complicated.  I think all the pictures are now dead.  I think it involved a hot water heater tanks and a bunch of other stuff.

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 22 April 2020 - 12:01 PM

How long would the CO2 last if you sugared a keg and let it carb naturally?

#15 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 April 2020 - 12:11 PM

How long would the CO2 last if you sugared a keg and let it carb naturally?

not sure exactly what you mean by this question.

#16 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 01:08 PM

If there were no CO2 to carb our beers, if we naturally carbed a corny using a sugar, how long could you pour that keg based on natural carbonation?

I also called my go-to for CO2 and he said the shortage is BS as far as we little people are concerned and told me to come on down.  I'm low on one 5 pounder and plan on going Friday to fill it up.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 April 2020 - 01:18 PM

If there were no CO2 to carb our beers, if we naturally carbed a corny using a sugar, how long could you pour that keg based on natural carbonation?

I also called my go-to for CO2 and he said the shortage is BS as far as we little people are concerned and told me to come on down.  I'm low on one 5 pounder and plan on going Friday to fill it up.

well...

if it was a pretty much full keg you'd get a couple of pints out and then you'd have to wait for CO2 to come out of solution and into the head space.  as you went through the keg you'd eventually get to a point where the beer would be nearly flat and it would take longer and longer before you could pour any more beer before having to wait for the headspace to repressurize.

#18 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 01:51 PM

^^ yea, headspace is inevitable for sure haha

But my guy said don't sweat this on the level that we are all on.  I guess if you fill up at an AirGas or Praxair there'd might be "some" concern.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 April 2020 - 02:20 PM

^^ yea, headspace is inevitable for sure haha

But my guy said don't sweat this on the level that we are all on.  I guess if you fill up at an AirGas or Praxair there'd might be "some" concern.

I go to a local industrial gas place.  

#20 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 22 April 2020 - 02:53 PM

I go to a local industrial gas place.  

That is all I have ever used

0 user(s) are reading this topic