14 replies to this topic

#1 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

Comptroller of Winging It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:20 AM

I'm itching to brew today...mostly because I have the day off, and next weekend I'll be out of town. I just got my shipment this past Saturday, and I wasn't in town yesterday, so I couldn't get my yeast started. So....to get to my question....How long can I leave my boiled and cooled wort in the carboy before I really need to pitch the yeast? Can I leave it overnight before I pitch? See, I could make my starter this morning and get it on the stir-plate...so it would be ready to pitch tomorrow around lunch time. If I did everything else with the wort...boiled, added hops, etc...cooled...transferred to a carboy and inserted air lock tonight...would it be okay to wait until lunch time tomorrow to add the yeast from the stir-plate?

#2 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:40 AM

You would probably be fine as long as your sanitation is good. I know of many cases where people have left their cooled wort for even longer periods of time before pitching with no ill effects. However, there is some increased risk of letting bacteria take hold before the yeast get a chance to dominate.

#3 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:42 AM

I would simply pitch the yeast without a starter rather than wait and risk contaminating the entire batch. Perhaps make a little starter to get a preliminary starter so to speak while you are brewing, then pitch

#4 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:42 AM

You should be fine. It's best to pitch ASAP once the wort is cooled, but I've waited overnight before. Probably the cooler you can keep the wort the better.

#5 BrianBrewerKS

BrianBrewerKS

Comptroller of Winging It

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:52 AM

Thanks all.I think I'll go ahead and brew...make the starter and put it on the stirplate...then I'll put the carboy in my kegerator overnight. Then tomorrow at lunchtime I'll go ahead and pitch the full starter. I'm always a beast about sanitation...so I'll just continue that.One last question though; when should I aerate the wort? Today after it's been cooled, or tomorrow right before I pitch the yeast? I'm thinking tomorrow right before pitching the yeast would be correct, but just want to make sure.

#6 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19226 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:07 AM

If you're set on brewing, it's six of one, half dozen of the other. I'd do the starter ASAP and pitch it when it shows life.

#7 Uisgue

Uisgue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:11 AM

I may be wrong but, I'm thinking that you would want to pitch the yeast at fermentation temperature or close. If it's right out of the keggerator, it might be too cold unless you are doing a lager (and maybe even then). Doug

#8 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:26 AM

Brian, I have pitched the following day on occasion and had no problems. You will need to aerate just before you pitch the yeast. Also make sure that the beer is at fermentation temperature or just slightly cooler.

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

I may be wrong but, I'm thinking that you would want to pitch the yeast at fermentation temperature or close. If it's right out of the keggerator, it might be too cold unless you are doing a lager (and maybe even then). Doug

Cold yeast into warmer wort works quite well. It's all I ever do. AAMOF, there's evidence that it's preferable to do that as opposed to warming the yeast first.

#10 andy77

andy77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:58 AM

I've done this with no problems. Like MtnBrewer said, don't areate until right before pitching.

#11 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:01 AM

Cold yeast into warmer wort works quite well. It's all I ever do. AAMOF, there's evidence that it's preferable to do that as opposed to warming the yeast first.

Wait, are you saying to pitch it out of the fridge, and not let it get to room temp?

#12 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:04 AM

Wait, are you saying to pitch it out of the fridge, and not let it get to room temp?

Please visit my website

#13 Uisgue

Uisgue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:20 AM

I was thinking that situation in question had the wort cold and the starter still at ambient. I was saying that there may be problems with a too cold wort. Doug

#14 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:32 PM

I had a weekend last year where I brewed a Traditional Bock and an Oktoberfest. Bock was brewed on Friday night Oktoberfest on Sunday morning. Pitched into both on monday night. I don't make a habit of that but it went good so I would say if you had to you could hold off a day or two as well and be ok. Not a suggestion but I traditionally brew on night and pitch the next morning too, no ill effects either way.

#15 Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:35 PM

I have let my wort sit for up to 8 days before pitching my yeast with no infections/off flavors. It all depends on your process and sanitation. I would definitely not recommend this practice, best to pitch the proper amount at the temp you want as said previously. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users