• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 VirginiaBeach

VirginiaBeach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:16 PM

Has anyone had any experience with a good liquid yeast (pref. White labs since thats what my LHBS carries) for a Bavarian Hefeweizen that gives a nice balance between the banana and clove flavors?Also, is a beer like a Bavarian Hefeweizen one that you would want to purposely underpitch (i.e. don't make starter) to maximize ester production?Thanks

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:25 PM

Has anyone had any experience with a good liquid yeast (pref. White labs since thats what my LHBS carries) for a Bavarian Hefeweizen that gives a nice balance between the banana and clove flavors?Also, is a beer like a Bavarian Hefeweizen one that you would want to purposely underpitch (i.e. don't make starter) to maximize ester production?Thanks

I've only used wyeast 3068 and I think it's great. If WL has an equivalent get that.

#3 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:31 PM

I like the WL Hefeweizen IV yeast. Seemed a little more tilted toward clove.

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:42 PM

I would have to agree with Zym that 3068 is a great hefe yeast. If you consult the yeast comparison chart on mrmalty the comparable WL strain is WLP300 so I would try that. :facepalm:

#5 wertydc

wertydc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:22 AM

I am making my first Hefe next week and I plan to use the WLP300 because it appears to be a good balance between the 'banana and clove'. I think another key is to primary around 65F - 67F. Although I understand the primary temp may affect the amount of banana vs. clove that shows up in the beer. Maybe someone else can give the rule of thumb with regard to Hefe ferment temps.I make starters, or use harvested yeast cakes, for all my beers. I would like to hear any takes on VirginiaBeach's idea of underpitching for a Hefe. Many Hefe's have a lower OG (~1.041) so a big starter might not be necessary, but I would think a little starter would be good.

#6 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:35 AM

I agree that 3068 is the hefe you want to use for a weizen. It's temperature sensitive and higher temps emphasize esters. Lower temps emphasize phenols.

#7 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:42 AM

I am making my first Hefe next week and I plan to use the WLP300 because it appears to be a good balance between the 'banana and clove'. I think another key is to primary around 65F - 67F. Although I understand the primary temp may affect the amount of banana vs. clove that shows up in the beer. Maybe someone else can give the rule of thumb with regard to Hefe ferment temps.I make starters, or use harvested yeast cakes, for all my beers. I would like to hear any takes on VirginiaBeach's idea of underpitching for a Hefe. Many Hefe's have a lower OG (~1.041) so a big starter might not be necessary, but I would think a little starter would be good.

I have brewed only with Wyeast 3068 and none of the WL Hefe yeasts but to comment on the temperature the higher the temp based on the given temp range the more banana you will get, the cooler you go to the bottom limit which for 3068 is 60 degrees you get little banana and more clove. A local brewery here makes a great Hefe "LoneRider Brewery" and when we took a homebrew tour they use 3068 and ferment at 66 degrees we were told. I have used 3068 at a constant 66 and it makes a great banana hefe for sure. To comment on the idea of underpitching. What would be the purpose of underpitching? I would think that stressing the yeast would not really add much great in regards to flavor at least with this style. I do agree the SG is low and mine have been around 1.050 but I think a small starter is fine with this beer style and in fact not that I do this I bet at 1.041ish you could just let the smack pack swell and pitch it directly. The key is to carbonate and drink this one young. I have gone from carboy to glass in 10 days and its awesome and fresh.

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:57 AM

I have brewed only with Wyeast 3068 and none of the WL Hefe yeasts but to comment on the temperature the higher the temp based on the given temp range the more banana you will get, the cooler you go to the bottom limit which for 3068 is 60 degrees you get little banana and more clove. A local brewery here makes a great Hefe "LoneRider Brewery" and when we took a homebrew tour they use 3068 and ferment at 66 degrees we were told. I have used 3068 at a constant 66 and it makes a great banana hefe for sure. To comment on the idea of underpitching. What would be the purpose of underpitching? I would think that stressing the yeast would not really add much great in regards to flavor at least with this style. I do agree the SG is low and mine have been around 1.050 but I think a small starter is fine with this beer style and in fact not that I do this I bet at 1.041ish you could just let the smack pack swell and pitch it directly. The key is to carbonate and drink this one young. I have gone from carboy to glass in 10 days and its awesome and fresh.

I have a dunkelweizen that I bottled almost a year ago now and it's great. Since I can easily rouse the yeast in the bottles this works out well. I see the only reason to drink these young is to keep the yeast in suspension but if you bottle you can avoid that. My dunkeleizen hasn't suffered at all and for a while I'm guessing it just kept getting better.

#9 wertydc

wertydc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:16 AM

Great tips, thanks. I finally found a liking for some of the German made Hefeweizens and Dunkels during this past summer. Great for occassions where mass quantity is consumed since the alcohol is not quite as high as some APAs or IPAs I typically steer toward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users