zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25586 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 23 February 2020 - 10:14 PM

In Denny We Trust.

I brewed today, did a 60 minute boil and hop additions. I used my JaDeD Hydra and got my wort down to around 75°. I then transferred it to a plastic brew bucket, sealed tit up and put it in my ferment chamber, When it gets down to about 60°, I will pitch the Gigayeast.

I used the Hydra and chilled the wort because my bucket is rated for 170°, I figured I will chill it down to what is easy to archive. My city water makes 75° the point of diminishing returns kick in.

I did not literally seal up the bucket. I used a hunk of 1.5" PVC pipe. I got a cap and and drilled for a hose barb stuck on one end of the pipe. Next I stuffed a bacteria barrier stopper in the pipe. A hose goes from the barb to a drilled stopper. I have a couple screws in the open end to keep the stopper in place. There will plenty of ventilation for the wort to contract.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:51 AM

I do not feel getting to 75 is no chill.  I have done this before where I get it to about 140 and throw in the WP hops to the fermenter and just transfer over and let it come down naturally.  No issues at all.  

If your water is warm now I assume it is warmer in the summer so maybe looking into Kviek yeasts would be good.  

#3 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 24 February 2020 - 06:54 AM

I have the same results in the summertime-with the same chiller. The chill will stall at 75. Seal it up,park it in the fermentation chamber. Give it a couple hours, and it will be a pitching temp.

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 24 February 2020 - 06:55 AM.

#4 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25586 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:19 AM

I do not feel getting to 75 is no chill.

I guess you over looked the "Sort Of" in the thread title. :D

I have done this before where I get it to about 140 and throw in the WP hops to the fermenter and just transfer over and let it come down naturally.  No issues at all.  

If your water is warm now I assume it is warmer in the summer so maybe looking into Kviek yeasts would be good.

I will have to double check next summer, but I am pretty sure my tap comes in about the same all year long. My water goes goes through miles of underground pipes, hard to imagine that it will change much over the seasons.

I have bilge pump and can push ice water through my Hydra,if I want. My experiments show dropping the last 10° - 15° is where most of the chill time comes in.

I have the same results in the summertime-with the same chiller. The chill will stall at 75. Seal it up,park it in the fermentation chamber. Give it a couple hours, and it will be a pitching temp.

My problem is at this time of the year, I need something to keep my beer warm. When temps drop to below 50, I need to maintain room temps. I have a dual temp pid in my future.

#5 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:04 AM

I guess you over looked the "Sort Of" in the thread title. :D

I will have to double check next summer, but I am pretty sure my tap comes in about the same all year long. My water goes goes through miles of underground pipes, hard to imagine that it will change much over the seasons.

I have bilge pump and can push ice water through my Hydra,if I want. My experiments show dropping the last 10° - 15° is where most of the chill time comes in.

My problem is at this time of the year, I need something to keep my beer warm. When temps drop to below 50, I need to maintain room temps. I have a dual temp pid in my future.

Ad least where i'm at, the ground water has a pretty wide temperature swing during the summer months.  there is a water tower in my neighborhood, and I'm less then a mile away (not sure if that matters or not). 

from July to early September, i'll run water from the tap, and the chill will stall at/around 90. then, switch to a tub with a sump pump, and put 3, 1 gallon jugs that are solid blocks of ice (equal to 24# of ice?) and pump that chilled water, then stall to 75 before diminishing returns. the only other constant is that i'm chilling my wort before sunrise. 

for the rest of the year, it can chill down to the mid 50's, given enough time. this time of the year, well, i have to keep an eye on it.  :D

#6 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:09 PM

I do not feel getting to 75 is no chill.  I have done this before where I get it to about 140 and throw in the WP hops to the fermenter and just transfer over and let it come down naturally.  No issues at all.  

I agree.  One of the keys of no chill is to xfer boiling wort to ensure sanitation.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:10 PM

If 75 was the limit I no chill whenever I don't have cold water :P

#8 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25586 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:14 PM

I agree.  One of the keys of no chill is to xfer boiling wort to ensure sanitation.

But . . . . .  But . . . . . Hot Side Aeration! (sorry greenboard flashback)

Wouldn't that require a non plastic fermentation vessel, i.e. stainless steel? 

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:43 PM

I thought the hallmark of the Australian no chill method was their plastic cubes.

"The centerpiece of the no-chill method is a food-safe HDPE (high-density polyethylene) fermentor. Most no-chill brewers seem to prefer the 20-liter (5.3-gallon) jerry cans used to carry water. You can find them online for less than $30."

https://beerandbrewi...-chill-brewing/

#10 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:51 PM

HDPE "jerry can"

#11 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:55 PM

I doubt a glass carboy would last very long doing that

#12 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25586 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:56 PM

I found this. I have a Grainger about 15 minutes fro my office. They do retail sales and have a will call desk.

I can fill up the can, set my fermentation chamber PID to pitching temp and then wait. 

https://www.grainger...LON-HDPE-36A906

#13 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:56 PM

Do you need a dual temp pid? I may have one or two laying around.

#14 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25586 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:00 PM

Do you need a dual temp pid? I may have one or two laying around.

That is mighty generous of you. What do you have? If you have something that I can use, I am happy to pay you for it. Contribute to your next beer recipe.

I was expecting to get one of these.

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B01HXM5UAC/

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:56 PM

I have that inkbird you linked and it is great. Amazing how cheap these things have gotten.

#16 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 25 February 2020 - 04:58 PM

That is mighty generous of you. What do you have? If you have something that I can use, I am happy to pay you for it. Contribute to your next beer recipe.

I was expecting to get one of these.

I have that inkbird you linked and it is great. Amazing how cheap these things have gotten.

Wow. things have gotten cheap in recent years. I have something homemade that has reads out in Degrees C, and its kinda a PITA to set up. your better off with the inkbird for the price. 

#17 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25586 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:58 AM

Wow. things have gotten cheap in recent years. I have something homemade that has reads out in Degrees C, and its kinda a PITA to set up. your better off with the inkbird for the price. 

Your homebrewer's altruism is noted and appreciated.

#18 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25586 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:36 PM

I placed the order for one of these.

The weather around here has been crazy. Looks like February is going to be a rain free month. Which is crazy weird for SF Bay Area. February is one of our wettest months. The temps have been very spring like the last couple weeks. I am going to need a hot/cold to get through the next couple months.

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:39 PM

Super easy to set up and works great.  Once I get my glycol up and running I may be getting a second one.

#20 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25586 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 29 February 2020 - 06:31 PM

Super easy to set up and works great. Once I get my glycol up and running I may be getting a second one.

Got it next day from Amazon. Where do you set the heat and cool differentials?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users