27 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:17 PM

I got an e-maul from Yakima Valley Hops yesterday and this one struck me as something that would be great in a blonde/american wheat or a Helles/Pilsner.  I may just have to grap a pound as I wanted some Saaz anyway.

2019 German Monroe - One Pound

This is an exciting new variety that is rightfully starting to gain some attention. Monroe is an ex-pat of sorts, as it is wild American genetics, grown in one of the most historical hop growing regions. With a lower alpha content and an oil content right around 1.00ml/100 g, Monroe showcases itself at the beginning as mild and smooth. But Monroe quickly shows off its ripe red aromas. In the nose, there are wonderful notes of raspberries and cherries that will instantly bring a ray of summer sunshine.

#2 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:20 PM

Amber Lager comes to mind

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:26 PM

I read that description about Monroe from the email the other day.  The first word out of my mouth was NO:P

Believe it or not I still have about a ½ pound of Hallertau from that epic 5-pounds-for-5-dollars and they have been zipped up in vacuum-sealed bags and still in great shape.  I also have a half pound of Hersbrucker and just under a pound of Northern Brewer so I'm good.  

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:40 PM

I just got done listening to a podcast featuring Urban Chestnut in St. Louis.  The owner/brewer couldn't talk more about Hallertau.  If I was only allowed one hop it would be the big H.

However some of these new German varieties do have my interest.  Saphir for one, although I know it's not "new" new.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:54 PM

I just got done listening to a podcast featuring Urban Chestnut in St. Louis.  The owner/brewer couldn't talk more about Hallertau.  If I was only allowed one hop it would be the big H.

However some of these new German varieties do have my interest.  Saphir for one, although I know it's not "new" new.

That was my ride home and in this morning.  Great podcast.  I have not had their beers but I picked up a few tips on that podcast.  I would recommend it to anyone that likes lagers.  I think their Hallertau was special tho, it was from one small farm if I remember correctly.  He mentioned Saphir in there also.

I read that description about Monroe from the email the other day.  The first word out of my mouth was NO:P

Believe it or not I still have about a ½ pound of Hallertau from that epic 5-pounds-for-5-dollars and they have been zipped up in vacuum-sealed bags and still in great shape.  I also have a half pound of Hersbrucker and just under a pound of Northern Brewer so I'm good.  

I gave 2# to Morty and still have some left.  What about Monroe turned you off (boy that sounds wrong).

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:54 PM

Urban Chestnut makes great beer.  GREAT!

A couple years ago I went on a bit of an off-the-map German hop kick:  Hallertau Select, Hallertau Blanc, Saphir, Opal, Huell Melon, etc.  Opal was okay for bittering and Hallertau Select was probably my favorite for using as a flavor/aroma hop.  Saphir is quite 'grassy'.  In the end, I determined that I like Northern Brewer, Magnum, Hallertau, Spalt, Tettnanger and Hersbrucker and that I don't really need to expand any further than that.  

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 01:56 PM

That was my ride home and in this morning.  Great podcast.  I have not had their beers but I picked up a few tips on that podcast.  I would recommend it to anyone that likes lagers.  I think their Hallertau was special tho, it was from one small farm if I remember correctly.  He mentioned Saphir in there also.

I gave 2# to Morty and still have some left.  What about Monroe turned you off (boy that sounds wrong).

Link to the podcast?

The Monroe description mentioning raspberry was okay but cherry not so much.  I am honestly past overly-fruity hops.  Plus... I remember BELMA was supposed to be STRAWBERRY FOR DAYS!  No, it wasn't.  I would have to hear breathless reviews about a new hop now for me to try it and even then I'd probably only get 4-8 ounces of it.   

#8 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 02:03 PM

Link to the podcast?

The Monroe description mentioning raspberry was okay but cherry not so much.  I am honestly past overly-fruity hops.  Plus... I remember BELMA was supposed to be STRAWBERRY FOR DAYS!  No, it wasn't.  I would have to hear breathless reviews about a new hop now for me to try it and even then I'd probably only get 4-8 ounces of it.   

https://beerandbrewi...brewing-lagers/

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 02:09 PM

Thanks brother.  

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 02:52 PM

Thanks brother.

Then go listen to the Bierstadt Lager house one.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 03:26 PM

Then go listen to the Bierstadt Lager house one.

Link?   :blush:

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 04:20 PM

Link? :blush:

https://beerandbrewi...tadt-lagerhaus/

#13 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 06:07 AM

Bierstadt is pure inspiration.  And I MUST get my hands around a mug of Urban's Zwickle Helles.  And also Bierstadt's Helles.

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 06:12 AM

Bierstadt is pure inspiration.  And I MUST get my hands around a mug of Urban's Zwickle Helles.  And also Bierstadt's Helles.

Pilsner road trip!

#15 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 06:24 AM

I'm in :)  My wife and I are actually going to St. Louis in April for a Pearl Jam concert and our hotel is 2 miles from Urban Chestnut.  And.... that's where we're having lunch that Saturday.

#16 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 06:31 AM

I'm in :)  My wife and I are actually going to St. Louis in April for a Pearl Jam concert and our hotel is 2 miles from Urban Chestnut.  And.... that's where we're having lunch that Saturday.

Awesome.  I expect a full report.

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53901 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:47 AM

When I relocated my daughter to Austin, it intersected with the Cubs playing at Busch Stadium so OF COURSE we got tickets.  We sat WAY up high, directly behind home plate and I drank a number of Urban Chestnut beers (in the tall cans) in a Cubs throwback jersey while the Cubs beat up on the Cards on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball.  Their Zwickl and Pils are really well made.  

#18 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 08:32 AM

Their master brewer/owner Florian Kuplent has a very cool background and brewing philosophy.

#19 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 07 February 2020 - 01:48 PM

I'm in :) My wife and I are actually going to St. Louis in April for a Pearl Jam concert and our hotel is 2 miles from Urban Chestnut. And.... that's where we're having lunch that Saturday.

Dude nice! Have fun!

#20 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 06:32 AM

^^ thank you :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users