#1 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:41 PM

My brewing friend wants to brew up a Nut Brown Ale for the up and ahead cooler months and as usual I am putting together a recipe for this beer. I envision this beer with a nice malty/nutty flavor to it complimented with a slight hop presence as well. My goal in this recipe is to bring out the nutty flavor for this beer. I believe I have devised this recipe with a good amount of nutty flavor malt contributors. I am also looking to brew this beer with a yeast I have not used before. I am thinking along the english yeast lines. I am posting this recipe with Wyeast 1028 but I have never brewed with this yeast before. I am open to any yeast suggestions that would do well with this style so please suggest away. I appreciate suggestions or tweaks to this recipe as well. This will be brewed as a 10 gallon beer but fermented in 2 5 gallon carboys side by side, temp controlled fermenter.Midnut Brown Ale American Brown Ale Type: All GrainBatch Size: 10.50 galBoil Time: 60 min Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU 18.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 72.00 % 3.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 12.00 % 2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 8.00 % 1.00 lb Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 % 0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 2.00 % 0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.00 % 2.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 26.3 IBU 1.00 oz First Gold [7.50 %] (10 min) Hops 4.2 IBU 1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028) Yeast-Ale Beer ProfileMash at 154 degrees Est Original Gravity: 1.064 SGBitterness: 30.5 IBU Est Color: 20.5 SRM Color:

#2 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:37 PM

I don't know if the choc malt is really going to contribute much in the way of nutty flavor. I think you may get more espresso and chocolate flavors there. If that were to be the case I'd consider going with a smaller quantity of something darker like black patent or roasted barley to get the color and minimize the chocolate and coffee flavors. I like the idea of hopping it up a little as my main gripe with nut brown ales is that they lack any real bitterness or hop character. I'd even consider lightly toasting some flaked barley to add more body and nuttiness, or flaked oats maybe. I don't know how well that'd work out, but you could probably figure out how long to lightly toast something like that to add a nutty character. Just an idea.

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:30 PM

I don't know if the choc malt is really going to contribute much in the way of nutty flavor. I think you may get more espresso and chocolate flavors there. If that were to be the case I'd consider going with a smaller quantity of something darker like black patent or roasted barley to get the color and minimize the chocolate and coffee flavors. I like the idea of hopping it up a little as my main gripe with nut brown ales is that they lack any real bitterness or hop character. I'd even consider lightly toasting some flaked barley to add more body and nuttiness, or flaked oats maybe. I don't know how well that'd work out, but you could probably figure out how long to lightly toast something like that to add a nutty character. Just an idea.

Thanks JJ. I like Roasted Barley a lot and think I will replace the Choc with that as well. I thought the color was a bit lighter than I wanted as well. I will have to play around with the grain bill a bit more. Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone use this yeast or have a suggestion for one they have used that makes a nice Nut Brown?

#4 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:19 PM

I would double the Special Roast, if you want nutty, that's where to find it.

#5 MAZ

MAZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:36 AM

I would also bump up the biscuit malt to 2 lbs... that will definitely help accentuate the nuttiness. FYI... Briess Victory is a sub for biscuit malt and is perfect for brown ales. 1028 is also a great choice... I use it in my nut brown ale.

#6 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:06 AM

Thanks Drew. I have not brewed with Special Roast in a long while and when I was researching the ingredients for this beer it did say that Special Roast adds a nuttiness. I will bump it up on your profession opinion.

I would also bump up the biscuit malt to 2 lbs... that will definitely help accentuate the nuttiness. FYI... Briess Victory is a sub for biscuit malt and is perfect for brown ales. 1028 is also a great choice... I use it in my nut brown ale.

Thanks Maz. Yes I will have to see what the LHBS has I think they carry both but I will bump that up too. I have used Victory more then Biscuit but I like both too. Thanks for the yeast comment. I am looking forward to using a yeast I have never tried before too.

#7 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:19 AM

I went to the LHBS this morning and could not get Special Roast so I picked up Biscuit malt instead. Here is my adjusted recipe. Anyone wanna comment or critique this? Definitely want the nutty flavor to shine through on this one. I also decided to go the route of 1272 for a cleaner fermentation and hopefully lower FG as well. Thoughts or comments as this is a planned New Years Day Brew 2010. Type: All GrainBatch Size: 10.50 gal Boil Time: 60 min Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 IngredientsAmount Item Type % or IBU 18.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 64.86 % 3.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 10.81 % 2.00 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 7.21 % 2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 7.21 % 2.00 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 7.21 % 0.75 lb Roasted Barley (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.70 % 2.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 24.9 IBU 1.00 oz First Gold [7.50 %] (10 min) Hops 4.0 IBU 1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale Beer Profile Est Original Gravity: 1.071 SGBitterness: 28.9 IBU Est Color: 27.0 SRM Mash Profile60 min Mash In Add 8.67 gal of water at 165.9 F 152.0 F

#8 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:11 PM

I liked that you added victory...i find a lot of nuttiness in it.

#9 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:52 PM

Ok so you inspired me to make a nut brown of my own. I'm going to brew on Sunday. Here's my rendition:5 gallon batch8 lbs 2 row1 lb Biscuit or Victory (depends on which I can get from my LHBS tomorrow)1 lb Special Roast.5 lb 60L Crystal.5 lb 80L Crystal.5 lb Chocolate.5 lb toasted rolled oats1 oz US Kents 4.5%AA 60 min.5 oz Cascades 7.5%AA 15 minS-04 dry yeastI've read cascades go well with kents so I thought I'd give it a try - I guess that makes it more of an american brown.

#10 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:13 PM

Ok so you inspired me to make a nut brown of my own. I'm going to brew on Sunday. Here's my rendition: 5 gallon batch 8 lbs 2 row 1 lb Biscuit or Victory (depends on which I can get from my LHBS tomorrow) 1 lb Special Roast .5 lb 60L Crystal .5 lb 80L Crystal .5 lb Chocolate .5 lb toasted rolled oats 1 oz US Kents 4.5%AA 60 min .5 oz Cascades 7.5%AA 15 min S-04 dry yeast I've read cascades go well with kents so I thought I'd give it a try - I guess that makes it more of an american brown.

Looks like a nice recipe to me that you got to brew as well. Hope you get the Special Roast I tried to get it at my LHBS and they didn't have it so I subbed in Biscuit malt. The Special Roast and your Victory or Biscuit will add some great nutty flavor as well. I just moved mine in the house tonight as the temp was getting too low and I wanna hit a good FG. We came in at 1.070 so its going to be sorta an imperial brown but that was the plan as well. I wish you the best and report back on this link how it goes and I will too in a few days when mine is done as well. Cheers.

#11 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:16 PM

Looks like a nice recipe to me that you got to brew as well. Hope you get the Special Roast I tried to get it at my LHBS and they didn't have it so I subbed in Biscuit malt. The Special Roast and your Victory or Biscuit will add some great nutty flavor as well. I just moved mine in the house tonight as the temp was getting too low and I wanna hit a good FG. We came in at 1.070 so its going to be sorta an imperial brown but that was the plan as well. I wish you the best and report back on this link how it goes and I will too in a few days when mine is done as well. Cheers.

Brewed it today. My LHBS didn't have several things I wanted so I went with German Pale Malt for the base and since I couldn't get Biscuit or Victory I just decided to throw in a pound of Munich. Everything went great. I came in at 1.060 which was a little high but after reviewing my brewing notes I need to figure for 78-80% efficiency because then I'd be right on. Here's the recipe I ended up with: Original Gravity: 1.060 (1.045 - 1.060) Bitterness: 28.2 (20.0 - 40.0) Ingredients: 8.0 lb Pale Ale Malt 1.0 lb Munich 10L Malt .5 lb Caramel Malt 80L .5 lb Caramel Malt 60L 1.0 lb Special Roast Malt .5 lb Chocolate Malt .5 lb Rolled Oats - Toasted in oven for 15 min @ 350dF 1.0 oz Goldings (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min .5 oz Cascade (7.5%) - added during boil, boiled 30.0 min .5 oz Cascade (7.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min 1.0 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 15 min

#12 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:19 PM

Brewed it today. My LHBS didn't have several things I wanted so I went with German Pale Malt for the base and since I couldn't get Biscuit or Victory I just decided to throw in a pound of Munich. Everything went great. I came in at 1.060 which was a little high but after reviewing my brewing notes I need to figure for 78-80% efficiency because then I'd be right on. Here's the recipe I ended up with: Original Gravity: 1.060 (1.045 - 1.060) Bitterness: 28.2 (20.0 - 40.0) Ingredients: 8.0 lb Pale Ale Malt 1.0 lb Munich 10L Malt .5 lb Caramel Malt 80L .5 lb Caramel Malt 60L 1.0 lb Special Roast Malt .5 lb Chocolate Malt .5 lb Rolled Oats - Toasted in oven for 15 min @ 350dF 1.0 oz Goldings (4.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min .5 oz Cascade (7.5%) - added during boil, boiled 30.0 min .5 oz Cascade (7.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min 1.0 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 15 min

NC, I see you still have yours in the secondary but I've had mine bottled now for several weeks. I think it was 10 days in the primary and straight to the bottle but anyway. The special roast is a winner here. That "twang" makes the beer. I think if I make this again I will cut the chocolate to 1/4 lb and add some biscuit or victory (lousy LHBS). Also the Golding/Cascade combo worked nice together. I'm entering it in my local home brew clubs peoples' choice contest this week. I'll let you know how it does. :facepalm:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users