#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:46 PM

Schlenkerla Märzen. Pure awesomeness. This is so much more than I even dreamed of. That smoke smell just smacks you in the face as soon as you open the bottle. :covreyes:

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:49 PM

Schlenkerla Märzen. Pure awesomeness. This is so much more than I even dreamed of. That smoke smell just smacks you in the face as soon as you open the bottle. :angry:

sounds like you need some ribs to go with that :covreyes:

#3 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:50 PM

and bacon....mmm

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:55 PM

Sounds like a winner to me. I have never heard of that specific beer. Hmm I need to add a smoke ale to the brew list sometime too.

#5 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:56 PM

The Schlenkerla Urbock is even better! Try the Helles if you can too, it doesn't have any smoked malt in it, but has just the slightest hint of smoke from using the same fermenters and yeast.

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:12 PM

It's like drinking ribs and bacon. I need me a sack of rauchmalt.

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:11 AM

It's like drinking ribs and bacon. I need me a sack of rauchmalt.

A WHOLE SACK! How much of it do you use in a batch??

#8 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:35 AM

A WHOLE SACK! How much of it do you use in a batch??

Usually around 30-50%...but depends on the beer. You generally need a lot to get a good strong smoke flavor.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:39 AM

Usually around 30-50%...but depends on the beer. You generally need a lot to get a good strong smoke flavor.

wow - I wouldn't have expected that.

#10 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:42 AM

The Schlenkerla Urbock is even better! ...

Yep a strong second for the UrBock. After finding that, I don't drink the other variants.

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:21 AM

I thought the classic Bamberg rauchbiers use the rauchmalt for 100% of the base malt contribution? This Schlenkerla has to be approaching 100%. I brewed a smoked robust porter with 20% rauchmalt and the smoke character is extremely subtle. This märzen isn't even comparable. It seems like the smoke character is 50 times what my robust porter has.*googling*The BJCP Guidelines list it from 20% to 100% rauchmalt. The Schlenkerla Märzen is listed in the classic examples for the classic rauchbier, while the Weizen and Ur-Bock are listed in other smoked beers.Regardless of what it actually is, I'm going to be making one with 100% rauchmalt.

Edited by JKoravos, 19 November 2009 - 07:23 AM.

#12 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:54 AM

You have a smoker right? How about tossing some pilsner and munich over some beechwood for a nice smoke? Or try a Streinbier, would be really cool. Taken from the BJCP study guide:VARIATIONS: Rauchenfels Steinbier is made using stones heated over a hot beechwood fire and then tossed into the brewkettle to heat and boil the brew. The stones impart the smoke, and are themselves coated with caramelized wort. They are then added to the brew in the lagering tanks, giving a smoky caramel flavor the final brew. This is another old style brewed as a specialty brew.I wonder what type of porosity the stones would have?

#13 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:57 AM

Now that I think of it, this would probably have to be done in cycles, add the stones from a just boiled wort to a waiting existing lagering tank, otherwise there would be no way of keeping the stones sanitary. Especially back in the day. Maybe there should be some type of experiment? Where is Old Fart when you need a good experiment? Did he ever make it over to the new board?

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:12 AM

Where is Old Fart when you need a good experiment? Did he ever make it over to the new board?

I don't believe so. He refuses to leave even though the wall came down.

#15 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:49 PM

I thought the classic Bamberg rauchbiers use the rauchmalt for 100% of the base malt contribution? This Schlenkerla has to be approaching 100%. I brewed a smoked robust porter with 20% rauchmalt and the smoke character is extremely subtle. This märzen isn't even comparable. It seems like the smoke character is 50 times what my robust porter has.*googling*The BJCP Guidelines list it from 20% to 100% rauchmalt. The Schlenkerla Märzen is listed in the classic examples for the classic rauchbier, while the Weizen and Ur-Bock are listed in other smoked beers.Regardless of what it actually is, I'm going to be making one with 100% rauchmalt.

The problem with using a high percentage of rauchmalt (Weyermann), is that it has the color of pilsner malt...which makes it hard to brew beers like Schlenkerla where the smoke flavor and aroma is so high. FWIW, the smoked beer gold medal winner at the 2009 NHC won with a home smoked beer using beechwood.I bought a couple lbs of beechwood chips online, and I'm going to try and smoke some Vienna malt soon. I've come to the conclusion that home smoking is the only way to get a really smokey beer that satisfies my palate. I did brew an Alt once with 40% rauch that turned out great and won a few 1st place awards, but the smoke-freak in me desired much more smoke.Although, if you did a 100% rauchmalt beer you could keep it on tap and blend with your other beers in the glass...hmmm... :facepalm:

#16 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:53 PM

The problem with using a high percentage of rauchmalt (Weyermann), is that it has the color of pilsner malt...which makes it hard to brew beers like Schlenkerla where the smoke flavor and aroma is so high. FWIW, the smoked beer gold medal winner at the 2009 NHC won with a home smoked beer using beechwood.I bought a couple lbs of beechwood chips online, and I'm going to try and smoke some Vienna malt soon. I've come to the conclusion that home smoking is the only way to get a really smokey beer that satisfies my palate. I did brew an Alt once with 40% rauch that turned out great and won a few 1st place awards, but the smoke-freak in me desired much more smoke.Although, if you did a 100% rauchmalt beer you could keep it on tap and blend with your other beers in the glass...hmmm... :facepalm:

Home smoking, you say? Ehhhh-xcellent.

#17 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:10 PM

Home smoking, you say? Ehhhh-xcellent.

I home smoked some 2-row with hickory. Thank god it was a test batch and not a full 5 gallons. The most awful beer I have ever made hands down :facepalm: It was way too smokey to even finish a bottle. had to toss it...only batch I've ever thrown out. :devil:

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:22 PM

Yeah, hickory is kinda nasty. It's reaaaallly strong.

#19 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:02 PM

Briess has a new cherry wood smoked malt out. I brewed an Imperial Brown Ale with 20% of that CWSM and some Blackstrap molasses and raw cane sugar, Munich, Special Roast, Special B, Roast Barley. 1.077 OG, 40 IBUs of Magnum, Kent Goldings, Sterling and Northern Brewers fermenting on my house English Ale yeast.The brewhouse has never smelled so good...well maybe when I've brewed those DIPAs, but that was different.

#20 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationWest Chester, PA

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:08 AM

I brew a smoked ale with 60% rauchmalt that, at it's peak, is in the smokiness range (maybe a bit less) of the Schlenkerla Marzen, which I think is the smokiest of the three.In fact, I've got 5 gallons in the primary right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users