50 replies to this topic

#41 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:47 AM

I like what you put together here. I never use more than 5% crystal but those are my tastes, I just prefer big base malt character. Keep us posted on how your dry-hopping turns out, I may try something similar in the future.

you and everyone else around here :devil: It is a little heavy on crystal but not by much in my opinion. So do you just mash higher most of the time to make up the difference?

#42 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8256 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:32 PM

you and everyone else around here :devil: It is a little heavy on crystal but not by much in my opinion. So do you just mash higher most of the time to make up the difference?

Just read HB's DIPA recipe thread, guess I'm late to the crystal hating game :smilielol:

#43 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:40 PM

Just read HB's DIPA recipe thread, guess I'm late to the crystal hating game :devil:

don't worry about it - diff strokes...

#44 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8256 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:41 PM

FWIW I actually don't mash higher. I may have only brewed a handful of beers that I mashed anything above 150F. I guess I'm always looking to push attenuation to the drier side of things, whether it's outside style guidlines or not, because of my personal drinking preferences. I have a few trusty specialty malts that I use sparingly to aid in mouthfeel and body etc, but I'm not a proponent of specialty malts, again because of my own peculiar tastes.

#45 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:23 AM

Earlier in the thread, Drew mentioned adding more C-hops...here's a AAA recipe I'm brewing this weekend. Well, I guess it's not exactly an "American" Amber Ale...but more of an ESB...I don't care, I like it.OG - 1.055FG - 1.013SRM - 17IBU - 42ABV - 5.5%9.85 lbs. - American 2-Row1.5 lbs. - Crystal 80L.85 lb. - Crystal 40L.25 lb. - Cara-Pils2 oz. - East Kent Goldings (5.5%) - 60 mins.5 oz. - Cascade (7.4%) - 15 mins.75 oz. - Cascade (7.4%) - 2 mins..75 oz. - Centennial (10%) - 2 mins.WYeast 1098 British Ale

#46 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:11 AM

Earlier in the thread, Drew mentioned adding more C-hops...here's a AAA recipe I'm brewing this weekend. Well, I guess it's not exactly an "American" Amber Ale...but more of an ESB...I don't care, I like it. OG - 1.055 FG - 1.013 SRM - 17 IBU - 42 ABV - 5.5% 9.85 lbs. - American 2-Row 1.5 lbs. - Crystal 80L .85 lb. - Crystal 40L .25 lb. - Cara-Pils 2 oz. - East Kent Goldings (5.5%) - 60 mins .5 oz. - Cascade (7.4%) - 15 mins .75 oz. - Cascade (7.4%) - 2 mins. .75 oz. - Centennial (10%) - 2 mins. WYeast 1098 British Ale

have you made this before? even by my standards that's a lot of crystal :rolf:

#47 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:52 AM

Zym -I've brewed this before, yes. Looking back on my notes, I made it with 1.25 lbs. 80L and .75 lbs. of 40L, and then up the 2-row to 10.25 lbs. So yes, still a lot of Crystal which in turn makes a malty beer. If you want to go "all-american" on the hops, I've subbed out the EKG's with Northern Brewer which is good too. You'll be fine either way, just depends the style you're looking for. Cheers to you!Chad

#48 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:47 PM

Zym - I've brewed this before, yes. Looking back on my notes, I made it with 1.25 lbs. 80L and .75 lbs. of 40L, and then up the 2-row to 10.25 lbs. So yes, still a lot of Crystal which in turn makes a malty beer. If you want to go "all-american" on the hops, I've subbed out the EKG's with Northern Brewer which is good too. You'll be fine either way, just depends the style you're looking for. Cheers to you! Chad

In my experience more crystal doesn't mean "maltier" but more caramel/burnt sugar/sweetness depending on the lovibond...Munich is what gives me Malty flavors.

#49 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:05 PM

In my experience more crystal doesn't mean "maltier" but more caramel/burnt sugar/sweetness depending on the lovibond...Munich is what gives me Malty flavors.

I was talking in general I guess. I really notice the level of sweetness rise after 60L. Can't really tell much difference in sweetness in the lovibonds below that. I'm guess still working on my pallet :huh: !

#50 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:05 AM

Updated recipe: 5 gallon batch MALT: 7lbs 2-row (US pale ale) 2lbs Munich 0.75lbs Crystal 65L 0.25lbs Crystal 120L 0.25lbs Carapils Mash around 151F for 60 mins HOPS: 0.6oz Magnum for 60 mins 1oz Willamette for 15 mins 1oz Cascade for 10 mins 1oz Cascade for 1 mins dry hop 2oz cascade pellets for 2 weeks prior to kegging SRM: 12.24 OG: 1.052 IBU: 35.7 Ferment with Wyeast 1056

So I brewed as above but my mash temp may have been slightly low. OG: 1.052 FG: 1.011 dry hopped for 2 weeks with 1oz of cascade and 1oz of willy When I transferred to keg I put a grain bag on the end of my racking cane and this seemed to keep the hop bits out. Still flat but a very nice taste I think.

#51 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:01 PM

So I brewed as above but my mash temp may have been slightly low. OG: 1.052 FG: 1.011 dry hopped for 2 weeks with 1oz of cascade and 1oz of willy When I transferred to keg I put a grain bag on the end of my racking cane and this seemed to keep the hop bits out. Still flat but a very nice taste I think.

This looks very similar to an Amber that I make...its one of my favorite recipes...i'll be brewing it up again in a few weeks to enter in the NHC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users