50 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:23 PM

5 gallon batchMALT:8lbs 2-row (US pale ale)1lbs Munich0.75lbs Crystal 65L0.25lbs CarapilsMash around 151F for 60 minsHOPS:0.6oz Magnum for 60 mins1oz Willamette for 15 mins1oz Cascade for 10 mins1oz Cascade for 1 minsSRM: 9.27OG: 1.05IBU: 35.7Ferment with Wyeast 1056note: I have more carapils than I know what to do with. If I should leave this out I can but I figured, improves head retention and body? why not??

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:42 PM

5 gallon batch MALT: 8lbs 2-row (US pale ale) 1lbs Munich 0.75lbs Crystal 65L 0.25lbs Carapils Mash around 151F for 60 mins HOPS: 0.6oz Magnum for 60 mins 1oz Willamette for 15 mins 1oz Cascade for 10 mins 1oz Cascade for 1 mins SRM: 9.27 OG: 1.05 IBU: 35.7 Ferment with Wyeast 1056 note: I have more carapils than I know what to do with. If I should leave this out I can but I figured, improves head retention and body? why not??

Zym, I like the look of your recipe. I think your malt bill looks good as I like to use at least 60L Crystal in mine also. I would even suggest you could use like 4oz of Pale Chocolate malt or 4oz of Roasted Barley just to darken it up a tad more plus they would add a nice light chocolate or touch of roastyness too. I think mash temp is good I did mine at 152 as well. I also like the idea of keeping the IBU's lower so you can taste the malts and the hops as well. Hope the suggestions help, my amber is just finishing up fermentation since last weekend too, Good Luck.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:45 PM

Zym, I like the look of your recipe. I think your malt bill looks good as I like to use at least 60L Crystal in mine also. I would even suggest you could use like 4oz of Pale Chocolate malt or 4oz of Roasted Barley just to darken it up a tad more plus they would add a nice light chocolate or touch of roastyness too. I think mash temp is good I did mine at 152 as well. I also like the idea of keeping the IBU's lower so you can taste the malts and the hops as well. Hope the suggestions help, my amber is just finishing up fermentation since last weekend too, Good Luck.

How about regular chocolate? I'm also considering pushing the IBUs up to 40 just to balance it a little bit more but probably not more than that.

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:51 PM

How about regular chocolate? I'm also considering pushing the IBUs up to 40 just to balance it a little bit more but probably not more than that.

Yes I think that would be alright. It might add a tad more Choc flavor but that would give it some complexity also. My thoughts on that addition too were to bump up your SRM a touch too. I just brewed mine to 38 IBU with a SG of 1.052. I think your IBU's would be good and give a nice balance of malts and hops to be honest.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:52 PM

Yes I think that would be alright. It might add a tad more Choc flavor but that would give it some complexity also. My thoughts on that addition too were to bump up your SRM a touch too.

I'd probably only add about an oz and a half or so (maybe even less).

#6 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:58 PM

I'd probably only add about an oz and a half or so (maybe even less).

That should work and with a clean fermenter like 1056 you should get some nice flavor and a good beer too.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:59 PM

I like it Zym. I could see the grain bill being used with different hops just for fun and even something else yeast-wise like 1272, 2112, 1332, etc. Please post back on how it comes out... I always like a good AAA. In fact, when I go to a brewpub or something, an Amber is almost always the first thing that I order... but I don't really have a killer recipe for one. Cheers.

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:00 AM

I like it Zym. I could see the grain bill being used with different hops just for fun and even something else yeast-wise like 1272, 2112, 1332, etc. Please post back on how it comes out... I always like a good AAA. In fact, when I go to a brewpub or something, an Amber is almost always the first thing that I order... but I don't really have a killer recipe for one. Cheers.

roger that ken.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:10 AM

So I just did a quick google search on AAA recipes and the first couple I looked at had 2-3lbs of crystal for a 5 gallon batch. Even to me (the guy who likes crystal) that seems outrageous!

#10 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:19 AM

So I just did a quick google search on AAA recipes and the first couple I looked at had 2-3lbs of crystal for a 5 gallon batch. Even to me (the guy who likes crystal) that seems outrageous!

By style definition BJCP I believe that AAA is supposed to have more caramel flavor and richness than say an APA of IPA. I just figured that with your recipe your crystal was sufficient.

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:58 AM

By style definition BJCP I believe that AAA is supposed to have more caramel flavor and richness than say an APA of IPA. I just figured that with your recipe your crystal was sufficient.

I think it is sufficient.

#12 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:05 AM

I have a recipe very very similar to that. AND it is one of my favorite beers I have ever made. The cascade and willamette combo is SUPERB. This one is in my rotation. 7.75 lbs Maris Otter.75 lb Munich.5 lb British Crystal 55L.5 lb Victory .25 lb British Crystal 150L.5oz Magnum 14AA 60 min1 oz Cascade 7.5AA 15 min1 oz Willamette 4.5AA 15 min1oz Cascade 7.5AA 1 minute1oz Willamette 4.5AA 1 minuteOG 1.053 IBU 48.9 (less harsh b/c Magnum bittering) 12 SRMI used Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale at a lower temp...turned out fantastic and w/o the off flavors people complain about coming from this yeast.

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:30 AM

I have a recipe very very similar to that. AND it is one of my favorite beers I have ever made. The cascade and willamette combo is SUPERB. This one is in my rotation. 7.75 lbs Maris Otter .75 lb Munich .5 lb British Crystal 55L .5 lb Victory .25 lb British Crystal 150L .5oz Magnum 14AA 60 min 1 oz Cascade 7.5AA 15 min 1 oz Willamette 4.5AA 15 min 1oz Cascade 7.5AA 1 minute 1oz Willamette 4.5AA 1 minute OG 1.053 IBU 48.9 (less harsh b/c Magnum bittering) 12 SRM I used Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale at a lower temp...turned out fantastic and w/o the off flavors people complain about coming from this yeast.

Since I'm working from my current inventory I don't have victory. What is it similar to? I have a fairly wide sampling of specialty grains.

#14 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:39 AM

Victory is close to Biscuit but to me has a little bit of nuttiness to it. If you don't have any biscuit either you could always toast some base malt and get pretty close.

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:41 AM

Victory is close to Biscuit but to me has a little bit of nuttiness to it. If you don't have any biscuit either you could always toast some base malt and get pretty close.

I may just try that to add some complexity. What is the standard temp + time for this? I assume a cookie sheet is fine to put the grains on?

#16 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:43 AM

https://www.howtobre...pter20-4.htmlhe says in that that you should let your grains sit in a paper bag for 2 weeks after toasting....I have toasted and added directly to the mash with no dire effects.

Edited by DaBearSox, 19 November 2009 - 11:43 AM.

#17 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:21 PM

More Crystal malt and more C-hops in the finish...

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:32 AM

how much more? bring the crystal up to a pound? another ounce of cascade?

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:33 AM

how much more? bring the crystal up to a pound? How much more c-hops? Should I dry hop instead?

#20 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:57 PM

how much more? bring the crystal up to a pound? How much more c-hops? Should I dry hop instead?

think you should ask yourself what exactly do you want it to taste like...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users