denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:27 PM

https://www.experime...erience-vs-beer

On this week's episode - it's time for us to get philosophical as we explore the tricky navigation of science and experiences when it comes to making beer. And we go looking at some proposed Canadian beer styles, which makes us wonder - what's your local beer style? And Denny gets back to brewing something he loves and more!

#2 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:40 PM

Hopefully science tops experiences...

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 07:58 PM

I love in New England... I wonder what my local beer style is... Lol

Edited by HVB, 15 January 2020 - 07:59 PM.

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:19 AM

It was a great episode, thank you

#5 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 21 January 2020 - 12:59 PM

Hopefully science tops experiences...

Not if the experiences are different from what science says.  I gotta go with reality

It was a great episode, thank you

Thank you!

#6 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 22 January 2020 - 11:23 AM

Not if the experiences are different from what science says.  I gotta go with reality

In that case your science was probably flawed from the git-go and all you succeeded in doing is to confirm an already established confimational bias.     I submit "brulosophy" as an example...    :D

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 11:54 AM

What if you drank some beer and found it to be quite delicious, refreshing and satisfying and then someone came along and said that the steps used to make that beer (or the ingredients, etc) were inferior and that the beer was actually not very good?  How do you square that?  Science can't tell you what you taste.  Each person can have their own opinion on what makes a great beer but if someone says they really enjoy a beer made this specific way... how does someone else tell them that they really don't like that beer because it's not made properly?  

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:30 PM

What if you drank some beer and found it to be quite delicious, refreshing and satisfying and then someone came along and said that the steps used to make that beer (or the ingredients, etc) were inferior and that the beer was actually not very good?  How do you square that?  Science can't tell you what you taste.  Each person can have their own opinion on what makes a great beer but if someone says they really enjoy a beer made this specific way... how does someone else tell them that they really don't like that beer because it's not made properly?  

Yep.

In that case your science was probably flawed from the git-go and all you succeeded in doing is to confirm an already established confimational bias.     I submit "brulosophy" as an example...    :D

Here's an example from the latest Brew Files....science says that after boiling you have to chill your wort, and chill it quickly.  Otherwise you'll have a cloudy beer, DMS and a host of other issues.  Yet every time we've tried or made a no chill beer it turns out fantastic.  I've gotta believe the beer I've tried.

#9 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:41 PM

I've yet to have that happen, so I can't really comment.   I've had plenty of crap "craft" beer that obviously wasn't made with much knowledge or attention to detail.    I've had plenty of craft beer that I really like but in all honestly have no knowledge about how it was specifically made, but one would doubt it was made "poorly" if it was that good.  

At the end of the day, you like what you like.   And that's just fine.   But to say science and process has little to do with producing quality beer seems reckless to me. 

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53927 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:50 PM

I agree I have had some unbelievably bad craft beer.  I mean bad.  Like if I had made that beer, it would have been dumped.  But let's be real... the beer coming out of the taps in my basement are consumed by me, my family, my friends, neighbors and other homebrewers.  I get plenty of compliments on my beer but that may not count for much when it's family and friends drinking free draft beer in your basement.  That said, it's not going to happen often that someone who is very particular about how beer should be made is going to find themselves drinking from my taps.  The most particular person drinking from my taps is me.  So if I detect something that is not as I would expect, I troubleshoot that issue and I also steer people away from that beer, if necessary.  I rarely make a beer that I consider "not worthy of drinking" and I drink plenty of commercial/craft beer too.  Sometimes I have a great commercial beer and it inspires me.  Other times I have a moderately good commercial beer and tell myself that my beer is better.  I agree... at the end of the day you like what you like.  It's hard for someone else to tell you that the beer you like isn't good.  

#11 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 22 January 2020 - 02:10 PM

I've yet to have that happen, so I can't really comment.   I've had plenty of crap "craft" beer that obviously wasn't made with much knowledge or attention to detail.    I've had plenty of craft beer that I really like but in all honestly have no knowledge about how it was specifically made, but one would doubt it was made "poorly" if it was that good.  

At the end of the day, you like what you like.   And that's just fine.   But to say science and process has little to do with producing quality beer seems reckless to me. 

Who said that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users