8 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54017 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:45 PM

How are most of you guys controlling your pH?  Lactic acid?  Acid malt?  Something else?  For those of you using acid malt only, here's my question:  If the water being used for the mash is at a higher pH (say, 7) and then that water comes in contact with the grains which have some amount of acid malt in it, will the acid malt lower the pH of the mash before anything unsavory could happen?  Many years ago I would do a sparge where the water was not acidified and I got that harsh, husky and tannic character in the beer.  As of now I'm using lactic acid in the strike water so the water pH is already low and I'm acidifying my sparge water too.  But what if you're relying on acid malt to do the pH lowering for you in the MT?

On the LO forum, they talk about sauergut.  Mix some pilsner malt with some water and get it warmer and allow it to sour... then add that to your strike water or mash to lower the pH of the mash.  Interesting because a brewer might come up with a very unique character in their sauergut which could lead to a very unique character in the finished beer... for better or worse.  The thinking there is that sauergut is preferred, acid malt is the second choice and lactic acid is the last resort.  The lactic acid works for me but I have a few pounds of acid malt too.  I would need to do some Bru'N'Water testing to see how much I need to equal about 4ml of lactic acid which is what I typically use on a 5 gallon batch.  

#2 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49860 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:51 PM

Lactic for strike and sparge.

#3 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:58 PM

lactic.  Acid malt is too much of a hassle and too uncertain.

#4 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:07 PM

lactic.  Acid malt is too much of a hassle and too uncertain.

Lactic acid is lactic acid no matter what the source, just like CO2. I don't see any advantage to going out of my way to make things more difficult.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 01:09 PM

95% of the time I use 88% lactic acid.  The other 5% I cannot find the bottle of lactic so I have to go and use some acid malt.

#6 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 14 January 2020 - 02:32 PM

Since I've been using yeast de-ox for my strike water, I have more issues with pH too low.   Getting good at titrating w/ baking soda.   :P

#7 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 14 January 2020 - 05:30 PM

I've been using Acidulated malt lately; its been very consistent for me. may need to use a touch of 88% lactic in the sparge. I try to keep the Acidulated no more then 3% of the total grain bill, much more then that, then I'll begin to taste it. also, I've been pre-boiling all my water for 5 minutes for de-oxidation before using, if that makes any difference. 

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 14 January 2020 - 05:32 PM.

#8 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 14 January 2020 - 05:44 PM

Lactic acic (88%) here for strike and sparge.  Use Martin's Bru'n water spreadsheet, with inputs from my local municipal water provider for mineral concentrations, to get the pH dialed in.

I also run my brewing water (strike and sparge) through a block carbon filter the day (or sometimes 2 days) before brewing, to remove any crud prior to brewday.  Any salt additions, plus lactic acid additions, are added to the strike and sparge water as they are collected.

Worked well for many years now.

#9 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 15 January 2020 - 12:17 PM

2% acid malt for me... works well for me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users