#1 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:05 AM

I've pitched many a monster starter on high gravity wort and escaped unscathed mostly in thanks to the experiences of others on the board. I was always diligent to attach a BBOT when things were close and then later I discovered Fermcap Foam control :smilielol: .This morning however I made a minor miscalculation. Last week I bought a smack pack of Wyeast 2782 Staro Prague Lager Yeast and made a 2 quart starter in a gallon glass jug with intent to brew a lager on Sunday. Well it snowed a foot last saturday and I didn't feel like brewing in the snow on sunday so the brew got postponed. My starter had finished completely and settled out so I figured step it up! So last night I boiled up another 2 quarts of starter, chilled it, decanted off the first starter wort, and threw the fresh wort on the yeast and went to bed. This morning I get up and as i'm getting ready to go to work I remember I should give my starter a little swirl. I wander into my wine cellar, pick up the air locked starter, give it a swirl, and realize I just made a huge mistake. What was an occasional little *blurp* from the airlock immediately becomes the sound of machine gun fire as foam rapidly beings ascending inside the jug. I turn, starter in outstretched arms to try and get out of the wine cellar as quickly as possible to avoid an even bigger mess, I bound over the door threshold just in time for the inside pressure to overcome the resistance of the rubber stopper on the glass. I narrowly escape loosing an eye to the now rocket propelled airlock and stopper only to over run the now fountain of foam ejecting from the gallon jug in my hands. So at 5AM this morning there I was, standing in my basement, covered in foam, beer dripping from the ceiling, and a beer volcano in my hands. I then went to go take my third shower of the morning. What a way to start the day. :smilielol:

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:43 AM

Wow what an adventure you had Strangebrewer. Goodness and this was was the Sparo Prague yeast. I am happy to hear that you ended up ok. I know a foaming starter can be an adventure but sounds like you had a volcano over there. Hmm I also remember Ken Lenard commenting about a very active starter of this yeast when he used it last week. I am planning Bo Pils with this yeast for Thanksgiving weekend and going to get a smack pack btw now and then. I better keep this in mind when I make mine, yikes. Hope the fermentation goes well none the less. Don't you love homebrewing!! :smilielol:

#3 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:58 AM

Pics or GTFO.

#4 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:07 AM

LOLPart of my basement ceiling is stained the color of raspberry mead.If it hasn't happened to you, it will. :smilielol:

#5 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:04 AM

Pics or GTFO.

Dude it was 5AM. There are no pics of the immediate aftermath. I could take some today but something tells me a picture of a big stain on the concrete would just raise more questions than it would answer. I was too annoyed by the fact that I was going to have to find clean clothes to remember to take pics.I did have a 'you know you're a homebrewer when' moment though as I stood there with a beer volcano in my hands, beer dripping on my head from the ceiling, and foam all over the place thinking wow this yeast really does have a pretty incredible malty bready characteristic to it doesn't it.

#6 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:20 AM

Well at least the started was saved...all that foam coming out should have blocked any nasties from getting in.

#7 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:02 PM

I then went to go take my third shower of the morning. What a way to start the day. :covreyes:

Three showers by 5am?

#8 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:04 PM

Three showers by 5am?

I am guessing 2 with water 1 with beer

#9 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:13 PM

I am guessing 2 with water 1 with beer

Correct.I thought about going to work reeking of beer but decided against it. My co-workers would have gotten angry with me thinking I was holding out on them and not sharing.

#10 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:26 PM

I think some kind of clever name for this beer is needed.I had my ceiling painted a nice porter color on my first beer ever. Luckily, I had it cleaned up before SWMBO got home. I only recently told her about it. :covreyes:

#11 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:34 PM

I had blackberry stout all over the white stucco kitchen ceiling once at 2 am. Luckily it was a rental.

#12 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:00 PM

Nice! The new digs needed a homebrew incident to be properly run in so that's out of the way.

#13 CarlosM

CarlosM

SeƱor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:04 PM

LOLPart of my basement ceiling is stained the color of raspberry mead.If it hasn't happened to you, it will. :covreyes:

see it has never happened to me because I pitch the correct amount.then again I never made anything over 1070 haha....maybe its time to kick it up a notch.

Edited by CMS, 18 November 2009 - 09:06 PM.

#14 kbhale

kbhale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationEvansville IN

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:58 AM

Yep. Been there, done it. More than once. :covreyes:

#15 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:44 AM

Nice! The new digs needed a homebrew incident to be properly run in so that's out of the way.

Good point. Now I won't have to spill a pint of stout on the carpet.It is amazing that I brewed and survived 7 years in rentals without loosing my security deposit due to flooding, fire, or mystery stains. 3 weeks in the new place and I paint the ceiling....

#16 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:48 AM

I had blackberry stout all over the white stucco kitchen ceiling once at 2 am. Luckily it was a rental.

Well, I own my stained ceiling. :covreyes:

#17 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:17 AM

see it has never happened to me because I pitch the correct amount.then again I never made anything over 1070 haha....maybe its time to kick it up a notch.

My issue was a raspberry stuck in the airlock.BOOM

#18 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:46 AM

I had one experience where an airlock blew when i was fermenting in a closet....had to wash those clothes a few times to get the stale beer stank out of them...My best ceiling mop story was a bottle of brown ale that I didn't let chill overnight and was over carbed. I used a can opener from a leatherman (the one for tin cans with the pointy tip). It punctured a hole in the cap shot directly in my eyes and then all over the ceiling. Luckily when I moved out the apartment inspectors did not look at the brown splatter on the ceiling. I did get docked for the beer stains in the closet though.

#19 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:52 PM

My issue was a raspberry stuck in the airlock.BOOM

It gave you the raspberry? :facepalm:

#20 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:56 PM

It gave you the raspberry? :facepalm:

must have been using the lone star yeast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users