23 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:57 PM

I like hops ... I use a lot of hops but man this is overkill IMO.  I think it is way past the point of diminishing returns.  28 ounces in a 5g batch that I bet you will be lucky to get 3.5g out of after losses.  So, who will try it!!

75588238_10159346369209657_1008085676853

ETA: this is what got me questioning Cashmere in the hop sale thread.

Edited by HVB, 20 November 2019 - 12:58 PM.

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:03 PM

If you don't use 3g of Cashmere at 75 min. it's ruined.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:05 PM

If you don't use 3g of Cashmere at 75 min. it's ruined.

I was thinking more about the 3oz in the WP and how it would blend with those particular hops in the DH.  3g at 75 is a joke IMO and I do not even see the point to hop before the WP on this style.  

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:06 PM

I was thinking more about the 3oz in the WP and how it would blend with those particular hops in the DH.  3g at 75 is a joke IMO and I do not even see the point to hop before the WP on this style.  

Yeah thats what I was getting at. It's comical.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:10 PM

It's comical.  The Cashmere will be buried in an avalanche of dry hops.  FTR, Cashmere has a nice character but there is no possible way for anyone to find out if they were used in that recipe.   Make that recipe if you wish but also make a beer where you use some Cashmere late in the boil, WP, DH, etc. so you can actually taste them.    

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:22 PM

It's comical.  The Cashmere will be buried in an avalanche of dry hops.  FTR, Cashmere has a nice character but there is no possible way for anyone to find out if they were used in that recipe.   Make that recipe if you wish but also make a beer where you use some Cashmere late in the boil, WP, DH, etc. so you can actually taste them.    

Oh, I am not making this beer.  If I did, I would be cutting those hops to a quarter of what they are and do 2 hoppings.  I think all at 2 days is odd.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:31 PM

Oh, I am not making this beer.  If I did, I would be cutting those hops to a quarter of what they are and do 2 hoppings.  I think all at 2 days is odd.

I knew you were a hophead but FFS!  With the price of Citra that would be an expensive beer to make!  :lol:  Did you buy the Cashmere?  Cashmere is not Citra or Amarillo or Galaxy or Mosaic... it's a little more restrained than that and I don't think it's fruity... it's more herbal, flowery, grassy.  I don't know if you would like it or not but at least give it a chance without it being buried.  

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16523 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:35 PM

I knew you were a hophead but FFS!  With the price of Citra that would be an expensive beer to make!  :lol:  Did you buy the Cashmere?  Cashmere is not Citra or Amarillo or Galaxy or Mosaic... it's a little more restrained than that and I don't think it's fruity... it's more herbal, flowery, grassy.  I don't know if you would like it or not but at least give it a chance without it being buried.  

Agree that it is more restrained but I definitely thought it was fruity. Kinda like a Cascade with some light tropical and subtle melon going on. And though melon does not sound that appealing to me on paper, it was tasty in practice.

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:41 PM

I have not bought any yet.  I am not sure I need more hops after the last 3#'s I ordered.

8oz Galaxy - $17

8oz Strata -  $12

6oz Citra - $10

3oz Citra Cryo - $15

$54 in hops alone  :blink:

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:47 PM

Agree that it is more restrained but I definitely thought it was fruity. Kinda like a Cascade with some light tropical and subtle melon going on. And though melon does not sound that appealing to me on paper, it was tasty in practice.

That sounds right.  I like Cascade because it's more old-school and it has some dankness without the over-the-top fruitiness of some of the new hops.  I also used the hops as I showed in that recipe in the HOPS thread that JB started so it was only like 3-4 ounces of hops total... not a ton so the fruity character wouldn't hit you over the head.

I have not bought any yet.  I am not sure I need more hops after the last 3#'s I ordered.

8oz Galaxy - $17

8oz Strata -  $12

6oz Citra - $10

3oz Citra Cryo - $15

$54 in hops alone  :blink:

My goodness.  

#11 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

Comptroller of Lips and Smooching

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:46 PM

I've used  a whole pound of hops in a 5 gal batch before - with the hops direct $10 bag (which actually probably was over a pound.) Thought it was probably overkill, but it was cheap & I didn't have a vacuum sealer so I figured I'd use it all. Now I feel inadequate, lol.

#12 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:56 PM

Not sure which mag this is from but if I had to guess I'd say Beer and Brewing.  Regardless, do you ever notice that many recipes posted in all brewing magazines seem outlandish in terms of the grain bill or hops/schedule?  I look at them quite often and, quite often I have a "whaa?" expression.  A 1.070 beer with a total of 7.5 pounds of grain for example.............

#13 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:15 PM

I've used a whole pound of hops in a 5 gal batch before - with the hops direct $10 bag (which actually probably was over a pound.) Thought it was probably overkill, but it was cheap & I didn't have a vacuum sealer so I figured I'd use it all. Now I feel inadequate, lol.

I recently did 19-20oz of Galaxy and Simcoe for a 5g batch... Too much for me.

Not sure which mag this is from but if I had to guess I'd say Beer and Brewing. Regardless, do you ever notice that many recipes posted in all brewing magazines seem outlandish in terms of the grain bill or hops/schedule? I look at them quite often and, quite often I have a "whaa?" expression. A 1.070 beer with a total of 7.5 pounds of grain for example.............

100%right on both!

#14 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:20 PM

10#/bbl

Yeah that’s a lot. Honestly, I’d cut all the kettle hops out and just do WP and DH

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:30 PM

10#/bbl

Yeah that’s a lot. Honestly, I’d cut all the kettle hops out and just do WP and DH

agree and I think the WP addition could be cut in half, at least from my experimenting.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:06 PM

Do we think this is a legit beer that people would just drink like any other or is this some kind of one-up thing?  I mean, at some point more hops will be added than ever before and how do we know what will happen?  Will the beer blow up or catch fire, will we create some sort of Silly Putty substance or will Dolly Parton stop singing?  :lol:

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 04:38 PM

Do we think this is a legit beer that people would just drink like any other or is this some kind of one-up thing? I mean, at some point more hops will be added than ever before and how do we know what will happen? Will the beer blow up or catch fire, will we create some sort of Silly Putty substance or will Dolly Parton stop singing? :lol:

Pint house pizza is known for hoppy beers. I don't think this is a one up thing. Listen to the podcast they are on with craft beer and brewing, a good listen. Interestingly, they use kolsch yeast for their other IPAs.

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 November 2019 - 07:05 AM

Pint house pizza is known for hoppy beers. I don't think this is a one up thing. Listen to the podcast they are on with craft beer and brewing, a good listen. Interestingly, they use kolsch yeast for their other IPAs.

have you tried those beers?  kolsch yeast seems a little weird to me for an IPA.

#19 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 07:26 AM

No. Texas only I think. Kolsch yeast has always sounded good to me for a ipa or hoppy beer. Carton Boat beer uses it too. One of these days I will have time to test it out.

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 07:34 AM

No. Texas only I think. Kolsch yeast has always sounded good to me for a ipa or hoppy beer. Carton Boat beer uses it too. One of these days I will have time to test it out.

A higher attenuator so the finish is drier and not sweeter... makes sense if someone prefers a dry beer.  Not sure if their beers suffer from cloudiness but most kolsch yeasts will eventually drop out.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users