#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:49 AM

don't forget it's logarithmic so trying to treat it like it's linear won't work so well.

my mash pH was a little low (4.9-5.0ish) so I used bru'n water to guess how much baking soda to add.  I added too much b/c I forgot that I was operating on a log scale.  I was probably up close to 6.0 for a few minutes until I scrambled and added some lactic back in to knock things down to probably 5.7 or so.  then I added some more gypsum and calcium chloride to knock things back down to 5.3 (phew!).

by this time I had lost 4-5 degrees on my mash temp from all of the opening of the kettle and mixing.  so I pulled a little over a gallon of wort/grain and brought it just to a boil on the stove and added it back in to recover my target mash temp of 150F.

hopefully that brief time spent at a high pH didn't cause any problems :(

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:02 AM

I imagine you are fine.  I typically wait till 20 in to take a reading on pH, sometimes longer.  It still seems to be fluctuating at that point as well.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 October 2019 - 08:03 AM

I imagine you are fine.  I typically wait till 20 in to take a reading on pH, sometimes longer.  It still seems to be fluctuating at that point as well.

I've never sprinted from computer to brew area so many times.  :lol:

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 October 2019 - 10:42 AM

one of my lowest efficiencies today.  65ish% which on a gravity this low is pretty bad.  hopefully this doesn't tie back to pH :(

#5 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 30 October 2019 - 10:55 AM

To tell you the truth since I verified that my water doesn't change and that Bru'nwater was dead on accurate, I don't even check pH any more.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:01 AM

one of my lowest efficiencies today.  65ish% which on a gravity this low is pretty bad.  hopefully this doesn't tie back to pH :(

I would check the crush more than worry about pH.

To tell you the truth since I verified that my water doesn't change and that Bru'nwater was dead on accurate, I don't even check pH any more.

I wish Bru'n Water would be dead on for me.  I use it but I know it will vary, sometimes a lot, each time.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:23 AM

I seem to get more error when I use lactic.  it's also possible I'm not measuring lactic acid accurately???

I pretty much always shoot for 0.2 high using bru'n water though.  I also don't have a dead nuts water report to work with so that's another factor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users