47 replies to this topic

#41 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 08:36 AM

I was floored by how much crud got past the bag and the false bottom. 

As Stout_fan said above, maybe a pump/RIMS approach would work better with the SSBrewtech tun, but that's more $$$ that I really don't want to throw at this problem.

The 80/~ ale I brewed yesterday was mashed in my old cooler/stainless braid mashtun.  Took a quart of runoff to clear, and the runnings stayed clear until the end of the sparge.

Perhaps the universe is trying to tell me something. :D

Just because I am trying to envision how this was set up.  You had the false bottom and everything in.  Put the bag in and then filled the bag with the grain.

I will be honest, I am not sure how a pump or rims would make a difference here.  Plenty BIAB with just a pot and a bag and do not have that kind of crap getting through.

Have you contacted SS Brewtech with your severe dissatisfaction?  You paid good money and have made good faith attempts to get their product to work. If they belly ache about too late to return, tell them the delay came from you dicking around around with their product.

Otherwise . . . . .

If it were me, I would try putting a stainless steel screen between the bag and the false bottom. I do not know what the mesh pitch is on a bazooka screen, the bazooka I use, gets clear after 1 liter vouloff. On McMaster-Carr a 24' x 24" screen will run about $15.00.

A 300/400 micron bag is much finer than a bazooka tube.  That is why I am at a loss here.

#42 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 18 December 2019 - 09:07 AM

Just because I am trying to envision how this was set up.  You had the false bottom and everything in.  Put the bag in and then filled the bag with the grain.  Correct, that's what I did.

I will be honest, I am not sure how a pump or rims would make a difference here.  Plenty BIAB with just a pot and a bag and do not have that kind of crap getting through.

A 300/400 micron bag is much finer than a bazooka tube.  That is why I am at a loss here.  The bag I bought extra was rated at 200 microns, so I'm even more perplexed why so much grain debris ended up in the kettle.  I also inspected the bag carefully for tears/gaps, etc, prior to each use.  Found nothing out ot the ordinary.

#43 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 09:12 AM

With those clarifications I am truly confused.  That is crazy!

#44 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25586 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 18 December 2019 - 09:16 AM

A 300/400 micron bag is much finer than a bazooka tube.  That is why I am at a loss here.

You are making sense. A BIAB bag does not let crap get though when used by itself, how does a slotted false bottom make it less effective.

My hypothesis (wild guess really) is the slots in the false bottom are so wide that the bag is bulging into the slots and creating some new unnatural shape to the bag. teh screen keeps the bag flat.

At one point, I was thinking stuff was getting past the seal between the false bottom and the mash tun. The bag eliminate that.

What if you use it like a BIAB? Lift the bag up and let it drain into mash tun? (just another spitball)

I can see why you to let the thing collect dust.

#45 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 18 December 2019 - 09:24 AM

You are making sense. A BIAB bag does not let crap get though when used by itself, how does a slotted false bottom make it less effective.

My hypothesis (wild guess really) is the slots in the false bottom are so wide that the bag is bulging into the slots and creating some new unnatural shape to the bag. teh screen keeps the bag flat.

At one point, I was thinking stuff was getting past the seal between the false bottom and the mash tun. The bag eliminate that.

What if you use it like a BIAB? Lift the bag up and let it drain into mash tun? (just another spitball)

I can see why you to let the thing collect dust.

I think my next step will be to procure some fine-mesh stainless screening as you mentioned earlier, cut it to the same size as the FB, and see if that doesn't help, but that'll be a project for next year.

The holes in the FB are a bit larger than I expected, so I figure it's possible the mesh bag might be sagging a bit and allowing some debris to get through the holes in the FB.

The mesh bag I bought did help some, but it appears more effort is needed to make this mash tun work properly.

Tomorrow's batch will be with my cooler tun (taking no chances in case the 3 batches I brewed with the SSBrewtech turn out to be duds).

#46 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 09:25 AM

If he was to try it again I would take out the FB and just run teh bag in there and see what happens.

I have run a bag with a false bottom before and did not have the issues you have but I have not seen the FB in the SS Brewtech MLT so maybe what zymot says could be happening.

#47 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 22 December 2019 - 02:04 PM

Perhaps the universe is trying to tell me something. :D

KISS

#48 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 22 December 2019 - 02:30 PM

This problem really doesn't make sense - sucks for you though.  Poking around a little I saw someone saying they vorlaufed for 5 - 7 minutes and that fixed his problem.  That seems like forever though. I recirculate for maybe a minute or less with the manifold in my Coleman.  I would bitch and scream until they gave you an acceptable resolution.  That's one expensive mash tun

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users