#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:06 AM

I'm thinking a German pilsner. At rite-brew I see s-23, w34/70, s-189. I've only used 34/70 I think. Also do you guys usually pitch 1 pack per 2.5 gallons or do you make a starter? I'll be making 10 gallons.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:17 AM

I will know about S-189 in a couple of weeks.  I just used that in a pilsner and hope to use the slurry in a dunkle.  With that said, 34/70 has always been a work horse and never let me down. No experience with S-23 and I have never looked into it.  I use 2 packages per 5g batch but I think I could get away with one.

If you want to try some that Ritebrew down not have, Label Peelers has bree shipping on dry yeast https://labelpeelers...-brewing-yeast/

#3 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:24 AM

34/70

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 October 2019 - 09:56 AM

Free shipping! I like the sound of that. I actually could get away with just ordering yeast for now so no real restrictions on retailer.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:02 AM

Do you guys think it's worth pitching three or four packs or should I make a 007 starter with one pack? I see they have bry-97 as well so I could try that out at some point.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:15 AM

I don't think you are supposed to make starters with dry yeast, not sure where I heard or read that.

I use 34/70 and S-189, a pack of each and I like the flavor they impart.  I have learned that the malt flavor shines ever more with the second - fourth use of the slurry so don't dump it.  Re-use it.

Next up a Vienna Lager and I have 2 packs of the Llalemand Diamond which I'm anxious to try.

PS, two packs in a standard Pilsner is plenty

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:20 AM

I have not in the past but that was a situation where I only needed tWo packs of ale yeast so making a starter was Overkill. In this case I'm talking about potentially four packs of lager yeast which at $4-6 per pack is really starting to add up when I could make a starter with a single pack (maybe).

Edited by Zsasz, 23 October 2019 - 10:21 AM.

#8 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:24 AM

I had great success pitching one pack of 34/70 into 5.5 gallons and again pitching 2 packs into 5.5 gallons. Reasonable gravity beers each time 1.046-1.052. YMMV.

#9 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 10:25 AM

If you get two packs and take care of the slurry you'll get a good return on investment :)  

Again, not sure about dry yeast and starters....

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:29 AM

So two packs for a 1.050 lager would probably be okay?

#11 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:52 AM

So two packs for a 1.050 lager would probably be okay?

Perfectly enough.  

#12 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25569 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:56 AM

I don't think you are supposed to make starters with dry yeast, not sure where I heard or read that.

Along the same line, IIRC I heard that using a slurry that started as dry yeast is ill advised. Not sure where or when I heard that or from who. Maybe it is "It's not worth the trouble. Just buy another packet of yeast."

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:57 AM

Sorry just checking you noticed I'm making 10 gallons right?

#14 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 11:59 AM

Along the same line, IIRC I heard that using a slurry that started as dry yeast is ill advised. Not sure where or when I heard that or from who. Maybe it is "It's not worth the trouble. Just buy another packet of yeast."

Never heard that.  Once it is a slurry it is liquid at that point anyway and there should be no differences in re-using that vs a yeast that started as a liquid.

#15 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 12:01 PM

Sorry just checking you noticed I'm making 10 gallons right?

Oops

Never heard that.  Once it is a slurry it is liquid at that point anyway and there should be no differences in re-using that vs a yeast that started as a liquid.

I've gone as many as 4 uses with beautiful results

#16 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 23 October 2019 - 12:05 PM

I had great success pitching one pack of 34/70 into 5.5 gallons and again pitching 2 packs into 5.5 gallons. Reasonable gravity beers each time 1.046-1.052. YMMV.

Technically 2 packs will still work.  I've never pitched only one in 5 g's but neddles had good experience and I'm pretty sure Denny has pitched one with great success.

I'm sorry I didn't catch the 10 gallon part.  But I wouldn't sweat this.  34/70 is powerful.

#17 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:54 PM

As usual, I'm late to the discussion.  A thought or 2:

- 34/70 is my go-to dry lager yeast.  I've used S-189 a few times, and it's a good yeast, but in my experience, it's a bit more expensive than 34/70, and I do prefer the flavor/character I get from 34/70 a bit more.

- If you're pitching the yeast dry/right out of the packet, don't make a starter.  The yeast is prepared by the manufacturer with all of the nutrients and other stuff it needs to be directly pitched.  Making a starter w/ a packet of dry yeast defeats that purpose.  Whether or not you rehydrate it or not before pitching (I don't; just sprinkle over the wort) is a matter of personal peference.

- I harvest my yeast (ale and lager both) from the primary, and for subsequent batches, I treat said yeast just like liquid yeast.  That is, if the harvested slurry ends up sitting around for a few weeks before repitching, I make a starter, just as if propagating yeast from a smackpack, vial, etc.  If I'm repitching sooner (say within 2 weeks or less post-harvest), I'll skip the starter and just pitch what I need, so long as the yeast looks/smells ok.

#18 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 23 October 2019 - 03:03 PM

S-189 id great for malty lagers, like Ofest.  For a crisp German, pils, I'd go with either 34/70 or Lallemand Diamond Lager (my new fave!).

Not that I'm aware of and can't think why it would be.  Done it many times.

#19 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25569 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 23 October 2019 - 03:30 PM

Not that I'm aware of and can't think why it would be. Done it many times.

This was back in the day. Something like dry yeast was not as sterile as liquid yeast and the slurry from a dry yeast would be infiltrated with escapees from the LaLlemand plant.

Never made sense to me. Seems like wort would be most vulnerable when you first pitch the yeast. Not after going through a fermentation cycle and exposed to alcohol levels

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 23 October 2019 - 04:38 PM

I might try the diamond lager just for something new. How many packs do you use for five gallons? One or two?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users