#1 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25597 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 07 September 2019 - 05:19 PM

I am looking to kit up my system with some sort of Quick Disconnect arrangement.  It help to organize my brew rig and  normalize and standardize my process. I use QD for my garden hoses, works great.

Looking around there appears to be three flavors of disconnects. Quick disconnect, Camlock and Triclamp.

#1 Unless somebody makes a compelling argument for Triclamp, this are off the table, too much extra money for little advantage.

#2 The conventional quick disconnect look fine. Are there different types or sizes or incompatible brands of brewing quick disconnects I should know about? On the interwebs, all the quick disconnects look the same. They are not cheap,  ~$20/00/connection point. The quick connect/disconnect feature is nice, I do not see me taking advantage of it.

#3 The Camlock/Snaplock have the attractive price, about half. I have no problem with extra step of locking connector in place.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each flavor? Who uses something they like, who has something that is a PITA? Reliability issues? Securing inventory, it seems to me that the QD are what I see on the shelf. Camlocks are on-line source.

Brews-Bros Brain Trust, what say you?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 06:40 PM

I use camlocks presently. For a long time I used hydraulic disconnects from McMaster Carr and they were good and relatively cheap but not ss. Cam locks let me go all SS and just work well. Take a look at brewhardware.com, they have a good selection.

Triclamps are great but I only use them on the cold side other than connecting the chiller hose to my fermenter.

68634551_10159026194674657_4264790830008

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:27 AM

I've been using the McMaster QDs forever.  I believe there is a SS option

#4 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25597 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:43 PM

I've been using the McMaster QDs forever.  I believe there is a SS option

If you do not use stainless steel QD, what are your QDs made of?

#5 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:55 PM

I didn't poke around McMaster much but I think I was wrong about the SS.  Been using the same brass ones George clued us into.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:57 PM

They are brass. There is a link in the FAQ. Look for QD and silicone hose as the title.

#7 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19210 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:09 AM

I loved my stainless tri-clamps, but I don't think these camlocks were around back then. They let me go all stainless and had obvious advantages for cleaning and sanitizing. A bit of a pain to keep track of the gaskets, but I just had a bin of them on the brew cart and grabbed one if one went missing.

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:01 AM

I loved my stainless tri-clamps, but I don't think these camlocks were around back then. They let me go all stainless and had obvious advantages for cleaning and sanitizing. A bit of a pain to keep track of the gaskets, but I just had a bin of them on the brew cart and grabbed one if one went missing.

I think they were around but not as widely known for homebrewing.  Heck, even the tri-clamp accessories have come down in price a lot in the last few years.  Agree on the cleaning and sanitizing advantages. 

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:46 AM

that's a lot of valves you've got there, drez!

what is that canister looking thing in the foreground of the picture?

#10 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:06 AM

that's a lot of valves you've got there, drez!

what is that canister looking thing in the foreground of the picture?

One more that is not shown in the picture :).  The canister is a sightglass.  It will let me monitor the color as the mash goes on.

#11 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16641 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:12 AM

One more that is not shown in the picture :).  The canister is a sightglass.  It will let me monitor the color as the mash goes on.

Fancy pants!!

#12 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:30 AM

Fancy pants!!

It is amazing how cheap they have gotten.  A couple years ago they were close to $100 and now I got it for $27 on Amazon. Plus it looks cool ..lol

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16641 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:01 AM

It is amazing how cheap they have gotten.  A couple years ago they were close to $100 and now I got it for $27 on Amazon. Plus it looks cool ..lol

It's definitely cool. Just ribbing you.

#14 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25597 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:12 AM

One more that is not shown in the picture :). The canister is a sightglass. It will let me monitor the color as the mash goes on.

Wow. Color. That is one aspect of my beer I have never ever worried about. What ever color my beer is, it is a beautiful color.

#15 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:31 AM

Wow. Color. That is one aspect of my beer I have never ever worried about. What ever color my beer is, it is a beautiful color.

I worry about all aspects of my beer.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:31 AM

I was hopping that was going to be some kind of whirlpool hopping device :D

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:57 AM

I was hopping that was going to be some kind of whirlpool hopping device :D

No, but I am going to be adding one to my fermenter for dryhoping in a no(low) O2 environment.

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64059 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:46 AM

I use camlocks (from brewers hardware, like drez mentioned).  I think they work perfectly well.  I wouldn't use triclamps for the hot side, they are made to use on the cold side.  If you're doing a lot of fluid transfer after chilling/pitching it's probably a good idea to go triclamp but most homebrewers aren't moving the beer much after pitching.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users