#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:16 AM

I use this yeast a lot and typically start my fermentations around 63-64F and then ramp the temp up towards 70F as the fermentation progresses.  How does this compare to what you guys do when you use this yeast for american type ales (pale ales, IPAs, brown ales, stouts, etc.)?

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16606 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:38 AM

I use this yeast a lot and typically start my fermentations around 63-64F and then ramp the temp up towards 70F as the fermentation progresses.  How does this compare to what you guys do when you use this yeast for american type ales (pale ales, IPAs, brown ales, stouts, etc.)?

Thats pretty much how I have always used it. One of my favorites. Really shines in a brown ale or porter.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:38 AM

Thats pretty much how I have always used it. One of my favorites. Really shines in a brown ale or porter.

Smoked brown ale too!

#4 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 September 2019 - 10:46 AM

HYep, that's pretty much what I do, finishing with crashing to 33.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 September 2019 - 03:28 PM

I was going to reuse part of the cake from this batch I'm pitching the year in today but I might wuss out and use dry yeast for my next batch. OG is 1.067. next beer will be a little bigger (Pliny type IPA) but I'd hate for it to turn out less than fantastic.

#6 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:18 AM

I was going to reuse part of the cake from this batch I'm pitching the year in today but I might wuss out and use dry yeast for my next batch. OG is 1.067. next beer will be a little bigger (Pliny type IPA) but I'd hate for it to turn out less than fantastic.

You'll likely get better performance from the slurry than dry.  Not that dry would be bad, but why not use the slurry?

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:50 AM

You'll likely get better performance from the slurry than dry.  Not that dry would be bad, but why not use the slurry?

I hadn't really thought through the gravity of this brown ale (I was only a little higher than planned) and I'm just getting cold feet.  usually when I do this kind of thing I make a beer that is a little lower in OG, let it ferment out, crash, rack, and then pour off about 1/2-2/3 of the yeast and "stuff" in the bottom of the fermentor and then rack right on top.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 September 2019 - 02:15 PM

I hadn't really thought through the gravity of this brown ale (I was only a little higher than planned) and I'm just getting cold feet.  usually when I do this kind of thing I make a beer that is a little lower in OG, let it ferment out, crash, rack, and then pour off about 1/2-2/3 of the yeast and "stuff" in the bottom of the fermentor and then rack right on top.

the lazy part of me likes pitching on yeast cakes for sure ;)

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 September 2019 - 02:58 PM

I suppose my other source of trepidation is if I'll introduce any significant color/flavor from the smokey brown ale into my DIPA.  probably not enough to matter I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users