Photo
- - - - -

John I. Haas merges with Yakima Valley...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54020 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:58 AM

Just got the email.  For now it sounds like a win for everyone and should ensure a wide variety of fresh hops for all.  STORY.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:04 PM

Funny, I see homebrewers on my FB feed liking this and commercial brewers all pissed off about it.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54020 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:10 PM

Funny, I see homebrewers on my FB feed liking this and commercial brewers all pissed off about it.

Yeah, I'm not sure of the fallout potential yet but the email says that the merge will "strengthen supply and availability of the most in-demand hops like Citra, Mosaic and Galaxy".  At our level, I'm not sure any of this is an issue unless you actually CAN'T find a certain hop, which I suppose is possible.  When I buy hops like this, they might be $2.99 or even $3.99 an ounce and I'm not a hophead so this is not breaking the bank.  I suppose if you bought a pound of Citra and the price was through the roof, it would suck but this merger sounds like it will ease that potential problem.  YVH has been a great resource for me so no complaints there.  

#4 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49860 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:12 AM

Why? I don’t think it’s going to make a significant impact on availability for small brewers. The IPA arms race gets a little annoying for me, it is definitely hard to get stuff on the regular, but demand is demand.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:34 AM

Why? I don’t think it’s going to make a significant impact on availability for small brewers. The IPA arms race gets a little annoying for me, it is definitely hard to get stuff on the regular, but demand is demand.

They are claiming that more hops will go to a third party vendor that can then raise the spot market prices.  No idea how accurate just commenting on the chatter I seen.

#6 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49860 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 06 September 2019 - 10:13 AM

You can always contract. If you want to focus on making hoppy styles, you should be taking it seriously enough to know how much citra you want for the year. The spot market is what it is. So many brewers (more likely owners) all too often save a penny now to lose a dollar later.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 10:19 AM

You can always contract. If you want to focus on making hoppy styles, you should be taking it seriously enough to know how much citra you want for the year. The spot market is what it is. So many brewers (more likely owners) all too often save a penny now to lose a dollar later.

Oh, I agree with you.

Speaking of hops and contracts .. this is a fun read for those that have not read the rant blog post.  https://www.trimtabb...hey-said-part-1

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 07 September 2019 - 02:05 PM

Speaking of hops and contracts .. this is a fun read for those that have not read the rant blog post.  https://www.trimtabb...hey-said-part-1

Whine, whine, whine....

#9 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 03:23 PM

Whine, whine, whine....

Agree, but a fun read.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users