23 replies to this topic

#21 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:47 AM

Right zym. The container has a level gauge. 1 oz per 5 gal. If you want to reuse it mix with filtered or better yet distilled water. Interactions between the phosphoric acid and heavy metals in the water ids what causes precipitates and drops the ph into the ineffective range.

fortunately I have fairly soft water so my starsan seems to last for months in the spray bottle. I usually freshen up the spray bottle whenever I have fresh starsan though.

#22 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:48 AM

This isn't really the proper way to use starsan. Your second "rinse" is probably way too low of a concentration. You should make up some starsan/water mixture with the correct amounts (I think 1oz per 5 gallons of water) and slosh some of this solution in the carboy a few times to make sure everything gets nice and exposed. Dump out this mixture and rack in your beer (NO RINSING!)

+100I keep an orange Homer bucket (5 gallons) filled with the stuff. When its time to ferment, (after I've cleaned the fermenter) I transfer the contents of the orange bucket (i.e. properly diluted StarSan) into the fermenter, let it sit for a few minutes, shake it, etc, and then transfer back into the Homer bucket before filling my fermenter. I do the same thing with my kegs.

#23 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:36 PM

I don't fill the carboy with water and completely rinse out the starsan. I fill a 6 gal carboy with about 1.5-2 gal to a cap full and slosh the hell out of it. Then I dump it and do it again. I do this just before I dump in the cooled wort and there is always a bunch of foam in there, but I trusted the bottle and you all and haven't had any problems till now. I dumped the wort on 2-3 times the concentration that is recommended.I didn't check yesterday or today yet, but it should just about be done with primary and started cleaning up by now. I was doing secondaries, when I first started, but with my third beer I didn't and it turned out great so i will likely just let these sit for about 3 more weeks before I bottle.

#24 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 21 November 2009 - 01:27 AM

I don't fill the carboy with water and completely rinse out the starsan. I fill a 6 gal carboy with about 1.5-2 gal to a cap full and slosh the hell out of it. Then I dump it and do it again. I do this just before I dump in the cooled wort and there is always a bunch of foam in there, but I trusted the bottle and you all and haven't had any problems till now. I dumped the wort on 2-3 times the concentration that is recommended.I didn't check yesterday or today yet, but it should just about be done with primary and started cleaning up by now. I was doing secondaries, when I first started, but with my third beer I didn't and it turned out great so i will likely just let these sit for about 3 more weeks before I bottle.

The manufacturer makes using StarSan super easy. Go get yourself a Homer Bucket and lid, fill it with 5 gallons and put in an ounce of StarSan. This is all you need do to have it "on hand". When you want to sanitize your carboy, fill it with the contents of the homer bucket, let it sit for 30+ seconds and then put back into the bucket. I don't think you have harmed your wort, but I do think you are making sanitizing harder than it has to be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users