Photo
- - - - -

Has anyone ever asked if they could $acquire$ a keg of your beer?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 22 August 2019 - 05:07 AM

I'm being asked and I'm sort of conflicted about it.  I'm passionate about making and enjoying my ales and lagers and I give more away to friends and family than I drink.  Someone I recently met was impressed with a golden lager I put together and through a friend of mine he's inquiring if he can get a keg.  

As we all know, making beer is an extended process and much time and energy goes into it not to mention cost.  With that, I wouldn't know how to quantify it's worth.

One interesting aspect of this guys inquiry is that he owns a BBQ store with some beautiful smokers and grills.  He keeps a full Kegerator in his shop and shares it with his customers and on Saturdays he also BBQ's and has sort of a weekly picnic at his store.  Neat place, nice guy.  Maybe barter a few kegs for a new smoker? 

I don't know.  Has any of my Brothers here $transacted$ with your beer and if so how did you go about it?

#2 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 22 August 2019 - 05:57 AM

I've given a guy some beer as he was interested in trying to start something up. It amounted to nothing and I never heard from him again...So that's the extent of my experience.

I'd say, what is it worth to you? if it's not a couple bucks a pint, you're probably losing out. 

Then, what's your plan with this. You mentioned that this guy is likely to share it with friends/family/customers. Are you trying to make a name for your self? is this the start of a business?

lastly, remember that it is totally illegal to sell your delicious, home made beer for any reason. You TOTALLY should never, ever do that. And I'm TOTALLY not advising you to sell your beer to anyone.

But bartering is an awesome system tho...If he's got something you want, and you've got something he wants, why not share? 

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54006 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 05:58 AM

Honestly, I might barter for some BBQ... beer for BBQ.  This guy also knows the process, time & energy, cost, etc. required to make good BBQ.  If you're that conflicted and you would rather not do it, just tell him that homebrew is strictly for home use and you don't want to take a chance.  It's a nice compliment that he asked though.  You must make some good beer.  :P

#4 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:05 AM

I wish I could have every one of you try some of my beers as your input would be valued very much.

I know I cannot sell it and the reasons why.  I'm not trying to start a business either however many friends suggest I do so :)  

I thought it was a nice compliment and on Saturday I am going to take a ride to his store with a gallon for him to enjoy.  

I can't say I wouldn't mind bartering for a Green Mountain Grill though ;)  But that is not my angle here.

Spreading good cheer has always been my first initiative with my beer.  I guess we'll see what happens.

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:05 AM

I would not accept any money for it.  I think at that point you may be getting into a legal issue if someone wants to really push it.  There is no tax paid to the government on your beer so depending on what the other person does with it the TTB or other agencies could get involved.  I would barter or trade it.

#6 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:14 AM

I would not accept any money for it.  I think at that point you may be getting into a legal issue if someone wants to really push it.  There is no tax paid to the government on your beer so depending on what the other person does with it the TTB or other agencies could get involved.  I would barter or trade it.

Agree with you, jayb and Ken :)  I'm sure, just like you guys, it's a treat to see someones face when they lay into a pint of your beer.  That in itself is awesome.  However I always wanted a Big Green Egg too hahaha..................  I kid, I kid!!!

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54006 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:14 AM

In terms of the legality of it, my guess is that you don't have much to fear because I can't imagine anyone is going to be sniffing around that transaction.  When my daughter was in high school there was a orchestra concert/fundraiser and they asked parents to donate things that would go up for auction:  Cubs tickets, restaurant gift cards, baked goods, etc.  Someone suggested I donate beer.  It sounded dicey so we brought it up to the orchestra teacher and she said "sounds okay to me!".  Eventually she suggested that I take a picture of the whole thing and place the picture on the auction table but leave the beer in the car and whoever wins that auction would have the beer handed to them in the parking lot.  I made a wooden crate with handles, placed labels on the bottles, there may have been etched MAYFAIR COURT beer glasses, I think there was a big tub of pretzels in there, etc.  Nothing happened.  I "donated" it.  

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18068 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:17 AM

In terms of the legality of it, my guess is that you don't have much to fear because I can't imagine anyone is going to be sniffing around that transaction.  When my daughter was in high school there was a orchestra concert/fundraiser and they asked parents to donate things that would go up for auction:  Cubs tickets, restaurant gift cards, baked goods, etc.  Someone suggested I donate beer.  It sounded dicey so we brought it up to the orchestra teacher and she said "sounds okay to me!".  Eventually she suggested that I take a picture of the whole thing and place the picture on the auction table but leave the beer in the car and whoever wins that auction would have the beer handed to them in the parking lot.  I made a wooden crate with handles, placed labels on the bottles, there may have been etched MAYFAIR COURT beer glasses, I think there was a big tub of pretzels in there, etc.  Nothing happened.  I "donated" it.  

I agree it is just a slight chance you get in trouble but the few bucks I would make on a keg is not worth it to me.  

#9 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:19 AM

All for a good cause.  I think that's fantastic man.  Especially since you added personal touches to make it very special.

#10 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16637 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:43 AM

I agree it is just a slight chance you get in trouble but the few bucks I would make on a keg is not worth it to me.  

This.

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54006 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:05 AM

Much agreed.  If I were to get pinched doing something illegal with regard to my own beer, I would be all :covreyes:

#12 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:39 AM

My policy is this; for my non-brewing friends, and this isn't a bartered deal, I'll just ask them to cover the cost for material; if I have it on hand, no worries, I'll ask them to supply or cover the cost of a propane refill, which is about 15 bucks. 

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 22 August 2019 - 08:43 AM.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:49 AM

I agree on no money. I've given people kegs of beer for parties as a gift.

#14 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:22 AM

My policy is this; for my non-brewing friends, and this isn't a bartered deal, I'll just ask them to cover the cost for material; if I have it on hand, no worries, I'll ask them to supply or cover the cost of a propane refill, which is about 15 bucks. 

I've had friends offer to get a sack for me.  Never took em up on it.

I agree on no money. I've given people kegs of beer for parties as a gift.

I brew two for a dear friend every year, one for his Christmas party and one for his Kentucky Derby party as a gift.  I also make the Burgoo :)

#15 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:41 AM

I've been asked quite a few times. Never sold any and never will. I've donated some kegs for weddings and other parties and those people using get me a gift like a bottle of bourbon or something. For others I just tell them to come over and I'll fill them a growler.

#16 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:33 AM

I've been asked quite a few times. Never sold any and never will. I've donated some kegs for weddings and other parties and those people using get me a gift like a bottle of bourbon or something. For others I just tell them to come over and I'll fill them a growler.

My standard line is, "The best way to get more is to bring my growler back clean and smelling of nothing." ;) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users