- - - - -

Buttery flavor in my beer!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:49 PM

Has anyone ever had any trouble with US-05 or US-04 throwing any diacetyl? The last 2-3 brews have ended up with a noticeable amount of diaceyl.I have been fermenting a little colder than the normal temps for these yeast. most recently the US-05 at around lager temps. I'm just hoping its not a bacteria infection somewhere.

#2 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64096 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:52 PM

d-rest?

#3 albertv05

albertv05

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:49 PM

Lager temps are too low for those yeast. 64°-68° is good. You definitely need to rouse up that yeast raise it up to 70° to clean up diaceyl and other components.

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:26 AM

Lager temps are too low for those yeast. 64°-68° is good. You definitely need to rouse up that yeast raise it up to 70° to clean up diaceyl and other components.

I agree that if you are using US-05 at lager temps? 50-55 then you are saying you are fermenting way too cold for that yeast. 60 degrees is about as cold as you should consider. Are your fermentations slow as well? US-05 should be done in like 5-7 days most of the time. If you are fermenting that cold I think you do need to warm it up to around 70 and leave it sit for a couple of days. When do you notice the taste, do you taste it after fermentation and then again once on tap or in bottles and are detecting the flavor at both places? I do say warm it up since you have to be stressing the yeast when you use it that cold.

#5 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:15 AM

How cold are you fermenting at? Is that beer temp or ambient?"Lager temps" is too vague.I've never had a problem with those yeasts throwing diacetyl. I would look into bacterial contamination as well.

#6 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:46 AM

From the BJCP study guide:DIACETYLCHARACTERISTICS: A butterscotch aroma and taste, and a slickness on the palate. Not desired in excessive quantities.CAUSES: A normal product of yeast during fermentation, it is re-absorbed during the course of a normal fermentation. Another cause is the gram-positive bacterium Pediococcus cerevisiae and similar strains in cooled beer, young beer, and aging beer. Lactobacillus strains in the mash can also cause this flavor if the mash held at low temperatures (below 131 degrees). Note that the aroma/taste produced by all of these causes is indistinguishable.CHEMISTRY: One of a family of vicinal diketones. Presence recognized down to 0.05 ppm, but identified at 0.15 ppm.HIGH RATES FROM PROCESS: Underpitching of yeast; long periods of wort cooling (overnight); contamination from equipment; poor yeast strain; too-soon clearing (fining) of yeast (before it can reabsorb the diacetyl); too long an acid rest in mash; high adjunct ratio in wort; low fermentation temperature; premature lagering; any process that stimulates yeast then immediately removes it from suspension; use of contaminated sediment for re-pitching (bacteria coexists with yeast in the sediment).REDUCTION: Sanitation, quick wort chilling combined with adequate yeast starter amount (8 ounces of slurry to 5 gallons), adequate time for primary ferment before lagering or fining/filtering, all-malt recipe, higher temperature primary fermentation, pure yeast culture, washing yeast sediment prior to repitching.EXAMPLES: HIGH: contaminated homebrew; MODERATE: Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale, Pete's Wicked Ale.

#7 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:48 AM

Eat popcorn when drinking. Problem solved.

#8 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:43 PM

I've had no problems with 05 at 55F. It just takes a bit longer.

#9 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:02 PM

I've had no problems with 05 at 55F. It just takes a bit longer.

When you ferm this low do you treat it like a lager and pitch much more? Airate more?

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:04 PM

Eat popcorn when drinking. Problem solved.

has to be buttered popcorn :lol:

#11 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:10 PM

has to be buttered popcorn :lol:

Nah, that's taken care of by the beer. :chug:

#12 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:08 PM

When you ferm this low do you treat it like a lager and pitch much more? Airate more?

Nope, I just use it as usual, other than giving it more time.

#13 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:48 PM

Nope, I just use it as usual, other than giving it more time.

same here, super clean at those temps. I start getting a little worried below about 58, though I have pitched and fermented at 55.

#14 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:04 PM

I agree that if you are using US-05 at lager temps? 50-55 then you are saying you are fermenting way too cold for that yeast. 60 degrees is about as cold as you should consider. Are your fermentations slow as well? US-05 should be done in like 5-7 days most of the time. If you are fermenting that cold I think you do need to warm it up to around 70 and leave it sit for a couple of days. When do you notice the taste, do you taste it after fermentation and then again once on tap or in bottles and are detecting the flavor at both places? I do say warm it up since you have to be stressing the yeast when you use it that cold.

Sorry it took so long to answer.I did not have ANY trouble fermenting at those temps. That yeast is very durable it seems.I noticed the taste after I had already kegged and carbed. I did not notice the flavor as much when checking the hyrdo samples though it sounds weird I understand, but none the less it is there in the finished product. As was stated, this yeast will make a super clean lager style brew just remember to d-rest the damn thing just as you would any lager. the primary temps were at about 55 degrees. I did use yeast hulls when i rehydrated the yeast so I think that help tremendously.

#15 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:48 PM

Sorry it took so long to answer.I did not have ANY trouble fermenting at those temps. That yeast is very durable it seems.I noticed the taste after I had already kegged and carbed. I did not notice the flavor as much when checking the hyrdo samples though it sounds weird I understand, but none the less it is there in the finished product. As was stated, this yeast will make a super clean lager style brew just remember to d-rest the damn thing just as you would any lager. the primary temps were at about 55 degrees. I did use yeast hulls when i rehydrated the yeast so I think that help tremendously.

Well one thing I think I notice is that after force carbing a beer the flavors stand out a bit more so maybe it was there in the hydro sample but not as detectable too. Its good that you didnt have trouble fermenting at that temp with US-05 as well. I think I would just say try and do the 70 degree d rest the next time and see if that clears up your problem. I have to ask though, what are yeast hulls? and how did you use them for rehydrating yeast? Sorry just never heard of that. :facepalm:

#16 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:34 AM

Well one thing I think I notice is that after force carbing a beer the flavors stand out a bit more so maybe it was there in the hydro sample but not as detectable too. Its good that you didnt have trouble fermenting at that temp with US-05 as well. I think I would just say try and do the 70 degree d rest the next time and see if that clears up your problem. I have to ask though, what are yeast hulls? and how did you use them for rehydrating yeast? Sorry just never heard of that. :crybaby:

Yeast hulls are essentially dead yeast. You are supposed to boil them when rehydrating or making a starter. It adds zinc and some other nutrients essential to yeast health. Your LHBS should have something like this in stock if they also supply for winemaking. you can also add them to the boil itself, but I usually just add them starters and the ryhydration process for dry yeast.Yeast hulls 1More Beer link

#17 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:52 AM

Yeast hulls are essentially dead yeast. You are supposed to boil them when rehydrating or making a starter. It adds zinc and some other nutrients essential to yeast health. Your LHBS should have something like this in stock if they also supply for winemaking. you can also add them to the boil itself, but I usually just add them starters and the ryhydration process for dry yeast.Yeast hulls 1More Beer link

Thanks Matt. Makes sense, I might need to try some for the next starter. :crybaby:

#18 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:01 AM

More Beer link

I think it very ironic they put an expiration on dead yeast.

#19 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:31 AM

One thing I've started doing is throwing in a Tbsp of bakers yeast into my keggle after the hot break. I get it by the half kilo at Costco for $7 or something. Simple cheap and I can even use it for baking too (go figure). It's the same stuff as servo or hulls after you boil and kill it.

#20 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2009 - 07:16 PM

One thing I've started doing is throwing in a Tbsp of bakers yeast into my keggle after the hot break. I get it by the half kilo at Costco for $7 or something. Simple cheap and I can even use it for baking too (go figure). It's the same stuff as servo or hulls after you boil and kill it.

yep. pretty much the same thing...dead yeast :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users