#1 Seven

Seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

Posted 23 July 2019 - 09:23 AM

I'm not really a LODO guy but I enjoy reading up on it and practicing some of the principles when I can. Recently, while kegging a NEIPA for an IPA shootout at a local brewery, my siphon hose got a bit clogged and stopped working with about a gallon more of beer still in the fermenter. I quickly sealed everything up and did a quick swamp-cooler-cold-crash on the carboy (which I should have done prior to kegging) to let everything settle a bit more. About an hour later, I went back and siphoned the rest into the keg. To mitigate some unwanted O2 ingress, I added about 20 grams of dextrose simmered in a couple tablespoons of water to the keg in hopes that it would kick off some fermentation and consume the O2. I need to start chilling and force carbing the keg. How long should I give the yeast to scrub away the O2? It's been about 48 hours.

Thanks!

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:01 AM

I've never tried doing that so I have no idea.  48 hours seems reasonable but I guess I would suggest this:  Let it go until you HAVE to start carbing it... that way you know it's done and you can have it ready by the time you need it for the shootout.  If the shootout isn't for awhile, I think I would just give the beer another few days and then start carbing.  Also, if you get to the point where you want to do even more about O2 ingress, you can send the beer to the keg with about 5 gravity points left (like 1.015 on it's way to 1.010) and seal the keg and allow the beer to spund (carb itself) with the last bit of fermentation activity.  Sometimes the timing can be tricky but it works nicely and is even MORE LODO.  :P  Cheers and good luck.

#3 Seven

Seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:26 AM

Thanks, Ken. The beer needs to be carbed and at the brewery around August 1st or 2nd, so I have a couple more days I guess. I considered doing a full-on keg priming but didn't want to take the chance with leftover sugar and under-carbed beer. I plan on building (or buying) a spunding valve at some point to do just as you suggest. I realize that they aren't needed but they provide that extra cushion just in case there's a few more gravity points left than intended :)

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:30 AM

I had some under- and over-carbed beers but eventually I was able to dial it in and get it pretty consistent.  Drez has a toy he's playing with (Tilt Hydrometer) that tells you your gravity so you can make a better judgement on when to spund.  It sounds like there is some roller-coastering of the readings which could cause an issue but maybe Drez will report on how that's working so I can spend more money on brewing.  :lol:

#5 pkrone

pkrone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • LocationTejas

Posted 23 July 2019 - 01:59 PM

If spunding sounds like too much at this time, you should try fermenter priming instead of keg priming.   Add your priming sugar to the fermenter first and then close-transfer to a CO2-purged keg.  Worked well for me before I started spunding.    I've found any sort of natural carbonation to be better than force carbing. 

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 July 2019 - 05:48 AM

I had some under- and over-carbed beers but eventually I was able to dial it in and get it pretty consistent. Drez has a toy he's playing with (Tilt Hydrometer) that tells you your gravity so you can make a better judgement on when to spund. It sounds like there is some roller-coastering of the readings which could cause an issue but maybe Drez will report on how that's working so I can spend more money on brewing. :lol:

I just pay attention to the flow out of the spunding valve and slowly turn up the pressure as things slow down. Been working great for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users