5 replies to this topic

#1 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

Comptroller of Lips and Smooching

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3605 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 12:12 PM

Since there have been several posts about kveik I thought there might be some Chicago area folks interested.

https://burntcitybre...MUtt7zgIOAyM86E

https://www.facebook...68897147004729/

Edited by Buscotucky, 28 June 2019 - 12:14 PM.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 June 2019 - 12:35 PM

wow - so popular it gets it's own fest.  and I only just found out about it!

#3 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 01 July 2019 - 08:38 AM

I saw that when I was looking at Omega's site last week. It's a little too pricy for me, and I'm not driving downtown to go drink beer. If it was a little more out in the burbs I might have considered it.

I'd rather put the price of a ticket (or two cause I'm not going to want to go alone) toward buying some more kviek. I actually reached out to Omega about their new Gulo yeast and am really interested in giving it a try!

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 01 July 2019 - 09:08 AM

I saw that when I was looking at Omega's site last week. It's a little too pricy for me, and I'm not driving downtown to go drink beer. If it was a little more out in the burbs I might have considered it.

I'd rather put the price of a ticket (or two cause I'm not going to want to go alone) toward buying some more kviek. I actually reached out to Omega about their new Gulo yeast and am really interested in giving it a try!

woah yeah -  $75 is pretty steep.  and on top of that you have to buy food??  what are you getting for that $75 other than samples?

#5 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49860 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 08 July 2019 - 12:06 PM

That’s just how beer fests are these days. Expensive.
I’m not surprised there are lots of beers for it. Lots of brewers are all about it these days. I’ve done two, both came out really nice. The fast turnaround is iffy tho. They definitely still mature similarly to regular ale yeast once fermented. Sure it’s ready in a week but it really comes together after another couple weeks

#6 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 08 July 2019 - 01:25 PM

That’s just how beer fests are these days. Expensive.
I’m not surprised there are lots of beers for it. Lots of brewers are all about it these days. I’ve done two, both came out really nice. The fast turnaround is iffy tho. They definitely still mature similarly to regular ale yeast once fermented. Sure it’s ready in a week but it really comes together after another couple weeks

I'm had the exact same experience. IMHO, It's just not worth trying to figure out how to ferment so hot. I tried using them in the winter and I had a heater going on the fermeter the entire time, and it took just as long as a more traditional yeast.

The beers were good, no doubt. But I feel like I could achieve the same result with a more traditional yeast and have an easier time doing it.

Also, I believe only the "HOTHEAD" variety of kviek is said to ferment fast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users