#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 June 2019 - 05:06 AM

I completely froze the last 5-6 pints of a keg of helles (fortunately not too much, I'll see how it tastes today).  I may have partially froze probably about 4 gallons maibock.  it was still pouring but almost completely foam.  I'm hoping that it was just super cold and foaming b/c of that.  I didn't open the keg to look.

so how bad is this for the beer?  I can't think it's good.

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 05:25 AM

I have done this and it may have been in my head but the beer never tasted the same.  Others have said they did it with no issues.  Time will tell, fingers crossed!

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 June 2019 - 06:55 AM

so the maibock must still be frozen or something.  I left it in the fridge with the fridge turned off overnight.  it just pours foam even if I vent it a little bit (to slow down the pour) and bubbles form in the line immediately after I pour like it's overcarbed or something.  it's hard to tell if there is an off taste b/c I'm just drinking foam at this point.  I haven't tried the helles yet.

Edited by Zsasz, 21 June 2019 - 06:55 AM.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:04 AM

the helles seems thawed and other than being a little cloudy again I don't actually taste anything "off" about it.  hopefully the maibock heads in the same direction...

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:10 AM

I have a feeling it will be cloudy and stay cloudy.  I am not sure it will ever clear again.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:27 AM

I have a feeling it will be cloudy and stay cloudy.  I am not sure it will ever clear again.

so I feel pretty confident that maibock partially froze which is why it hit me hard last night!  been a while since I had the spins.

#7 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:31 AM

so I feel pretty confident that maibock partially froze which is why it hit me hard last night!  been a while since I had the spins.

That is a good thing if you are planning to make an eisbock but sad when you are not.

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:33 AM

That is a good thing if you are planning to make an eisbock but sad when you are not.

yeup!  :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users