#1 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 09 June 2019 - 02:35 PM

After a long hiatus, I'm looking to get back into the liquid yeast game, preferably with Wyeast.  However, online will be my ordering method, since I don't shop at my LHBS anymore.

Looked at Label Peelers, but they don't carry Wyeast.  They do carry White Labs, which I've not used in a decade or more.

Ritebrew looks decent, and they do carry Wyeast, but I've not bought yeast from them in the past. 

Not sure where else to look.

Those of youse who buy yeast online, who are your go-to suppliers?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 04:05 PM

Ritebrew would be my first choice.

#3 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 09 June 2019 - 05:38 PM

I use morebeer for wyeast. the LHBS doesn't carry that brand as well. 

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 09 June 2019 - 05:39 PM.

#4 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16519 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 05:39 PM

Ritebrew would be my first choice.

This guy knows

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:59 AM

I've had good luck with morebeer and ritebrew.  I just pick whoever can sell me my order cheaper after shipping.

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:29 AM

This time of year I buy local.  Yeast aren't real fond of riding around in hot trucks

#7 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:45 AM

Morebeer has good service and reliability plus a good selection.  If you hit $50?? shipping should be free.  Or some number close to that. 

Are you saying adios to 34/70?  

#8 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:49 AM

Morebeer has good service and reliability plus a good selection.  If you hit $50?? shipping should be free.  Or some number close to that. 

Are you saying adios to 34/70?  

I'll still use 34/70, but there are some strains I've not used in a few years (1028 and 3726 come to mind) that I'd like to get reacquainted with.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:43 AM

Ritebrew is very good, very fast and competitively priced.  It's been awhile since I ordered liquid yeast online but Ritebrew is the place I've probably ordered from the last 2-3 times for yeast.  Remember too that they're pretty close to me and I'm inside their shipping service area (Speedy or something?) and you may not be in that range.  

#10 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:28 AM

Ritebrew is very good, very fast and competitively priced.  It's been awhile since I ordered liquid yeast online but Ritebrew is the place I've probably ordered from the last 2-3 times for yeast.  Remember too that they're pretty close to me and I'm inside their shipping service area (Speedy or something?) and you may not be in that range.  

I just looked at the drive times via google from ritebrew and morebeer to Cincinnati. 

rite brew ships from Little chute, WI. Morebeer ships from outside of Pittsburgh, PA. 

I'm a 5 hour drive from Pittsburgh. I can place a order at morebeer on Monday, at the door by Wednesday. I've ordered stuff from ritebrew, usually takes about a week. only ordered dry yeast/small parts from them. they are a 15 hour drive from me.  

Conversely, Cincinnati is a 7 hr 45 min drive from ritebrew, 4.5 hr drive from Pittsburgh. Morebeer.com does have free shipping over $59, and that's easy to do if looking for anything else for the brew house.  I don't recall ritebrew's shipping program, i've only ordered light weight things from them that no one else had, or got a sale on dry yeast. 

just food for thought. 

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:13 AM

I just looked at the drive times via google from ritebrew and morebeer to Cincinnati. 

rite brew ships from Little chute, WI. Morebeer ships from outside of Pittsburgh, PA. 

I'm a 5 hour drive from Pittsburgh. I can place a order at morebeer on Monday, at the door by Wednesday. I've ordered stuff from ritebrew, usually takes about a week. only ordered dry yeast/small parts from them. they are a 15 hour drive from me.  

Conversely, Cincinnati is a 7 hr 45 min drive from ritebrew, 4.5 hr drive from Pittsburgh. Morebeer.com does have free shipping over $59, and that's easy to do if looking for anything else for the brew house.  I don't recall ritebrew's shipping program, i've only ordered light weight things from them that no one else had, or got a sale on dry yeast. 

just food for thought. 

Strange as the stuff I have ordered from Rite has got to me faster than Morebeer on the east coast.  Rite has been extremely fast shipping for me.

#12 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:27 AM

Strange as the stuff I have ordered from Rite has got to me faster than Morebeer on the east coast.  Rite has been extremely fast shipping for me.

Interesting. looks like its just a roll of the dice! 

#13 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:33 AM

the only veritable i can think of is that i'm near a big shipping hub. from Pittsburgh, to Philadelphia (half hour drive) to my neck in the woods. 

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 10 June 2019 - 10:35 AM.

#14 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:04 PM

Out of curiosity, why a preference for Wyeast?

#15 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:13 PM

Out of curiosity, why a preference for Wyeast?

I've had the best luck with Wyeast; had some vials of White Labs years ago that turned out to be duds (starters never took off, etc.).

Never had that problem with Wyeast.

But, if you have a suggestion for an alternative to Wyeast, that isn't White Labs, I'm all ears.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:37 AM

I've had the best luck with Wyeast; had some vials of White Labs years ago that turned out to be duds (starters never took off, etc.).

But, if you have a suggestion for an alternative to Wyeast, that isn't White Labs, I'm all ears.

I've used omega once and I think others have used them a lot more.  My N=1 with them was good.

#17 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:51 AM

Omega and Imperial. I understand the appeal of snacking and knowing the pack has swelled but the other two I listed have some options Wyeast and WLs do not.

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 04:02 AM

I've had Wyeast packs not swell.  I've had Wyeast yeast look dark and funky.  Now I can also say (I think) that I've used Wyeast yeast that remained stubbornly hazy.  But I do use a lot of Wyeast, mostly 1056, 1028, 2124, 2308, 2278 and 2782.  I find it strange that other companies don't use the smack system so you can tell the yeast is viable.  When I do order White Labs (now in a ketchup packet type container), it's usually for 940 or 830 but I might start ordering WL001 from them now.  Omega Bayern for lagers and Omega West Coast as a sub for 1056... both are excellent and their packaging looks a lot like a Wyeast package without the nutrient pack.  

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 June 2019 - 03:38 AM

I've had Wyeast packs not swell.  I've had Wyeast yeast look dark and funky.  Now I can also say (I think) that I've used Wyeast yeast that remained stubbornly hazy.  But I do use a lot of Wyeast, mostly 1056, 1028, 2124, 2308, 2278 and 2782.  I find it strange that other companies don't use the smack system so you can tell the yeast is viable.  When I do order White Labs (now in a ketchup packet type container), it's usually for 940 or 830 but I might start ordering WL001 from them now.  Omega Bayern for lagers and Omega West Coast as a sub for 1056... both are excellent and their packaging looks a lot like a Wyeast package without the nutrient pack.  

maybe they have a patent on it??

#20 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10544 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:41 AM

When I order yeast I get it from Ritebrew and it always comes quick. I always put a order in on a Sunday and it will be here by Thursday at the latest. The last time, about a month ago, it was still cool when arriving in bubble bag and ice pack. That said I don't order yeast in the summer months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users