#1 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4963 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:46 PM

MoreBeer has an overstock sale on Viking 2-Row Pale Ale Malt for $25 a 55 lb. sack. Shipping for me is a bit over $20, so, $45 and change, shipped. 

Just getting back into brewing... Any reason not to do this? Not familiar with Viking... Good stuff as a base?

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:48 PM

I saw this yesterday and almost jumped in on it.  I think it should be fine malt.

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 07 June 2019 - 01:10 PM

MoreBeer has an overstock sale on Viking 2-Row Pale Ale Malt for $25 a 55 lb. sack. Shipping for me is a bit over $20, so, $45 and change, shipped. 

Just getting back into brewing... Any reason not to do this? Not familiar with Viking... Good stuff as a base?

No idea but that's a good price.  You need to get on Apex's mailing list.  They had a one day window close yesterday for a bulk buy.  Pretty good prices  - when I have ordered I paid the only the list price

#4 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49855 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:13 PM

What color is it?

#5 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:31 PM

Some info

https://www.vikingma...E_ALE-ID-96.pdf

Funny, I had not thought about EBC for quite a while but did a couple days ago for some reason.  I bought the wife a necklace more than several years ago that had little beads for SRM progession but this was from England so... EBC.  Had a nice hop cone on it too for the pendant.  Can't forget the internet seller.  "Feral Strumpet"...

.  I'd like to know the DP since I use a lot of unmalted stuff sometimes.

#6 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4963 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:39 PM

No idea but that's a good price.  You need to get on Apex's mailing list.  They had a one day window close yesterday for a bulk buy.  Pretty good prices  - when I have ordered I paid the only the list price

I do... I drive by their store a couple times a week!

Pulled the trigger on this... Thanks for the Datasheet link!

#7 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49855 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:53 AM

Pretty dark stuff. I prefer the lightest base malt as possible unless I’m making something amber or darker usually.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53824 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 10:16 AM

I think my expectations just change if I see something like this.  Otherwise I decide to just mix it with something else if I think it may not make good beer.  The 50 lbs of Briess Pilsen for $29 was too good to pass up.  I have used it in small amounts mixed with other stuff.  I have a "Caribbean Lager" coming up next where I'll use the Briess together with some light munich just to give it some character and depth... but not too much since the beer is supposed to be on the light and pale side too.  I don't know that I have ever heard anyone buy a malt like this and say that it flat-out sucked.  They might say "you get what you pay for" but it's still going to make decent beer.  Good brewers can find a way to finesse a decent beer out of cheap malt.  Keep us posted on how it goes.  

#9 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4963 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 02:50 PM

I'm hoping this might make a good base for a series of SMaSH beers, since there are so many new hop varieties out since I last brewed!

#10 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 04:20 PM

If I didn't have some 2-row coming next weekend I would have bought some.

#11 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 June 2019 - 04:40 PM

If I didn't have some 2-row coming next weekend I would have bought some.

very tempting, $46 to me delivered

#12 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:34 AM

Just pulled the trigger on this malt. $40 to the door. Didn't really find any negative reviews on it. for that price? why not? I'll make a brewhouse standard of a APA or IPA, and report  what the results are. 

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 10 June 2019 - 09:35 AM.

#13 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 11:40 AM

Has anyone brewed with this yet?  I have 100 lbs sitting in the basement but haven't tried it yet.  It is a bit darker than the other 2-rows I usually have around.

#14 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:09 AM

going to do something with it this weekend- not sure what yet. Talking to the LHBS owner, who just got a boatload sent to the shop, said there is a surplus of this stuff in the American market- the distributor has boatload, at fire sale prices; my local is selling it for 30 bucks a bag. that means two things- the company is trying to make a mark in the US market, at bargain basement prices or its not selling. who knows. 

Edited by LeftyMPfrmDE, 12 July 2019 - 08:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users