Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:05 AM

First beer is getting kegged today

IPA with eureka, lemon drop, and an experimental variety. Fermented at 90. Attenuation was lower than expected. 1.064 to 1.018, so about 71%. Added super sour diesel cannabis terpenes when I transferred to the bright tank.

Before I added the first round of dry hops I dropped the temp to 80 to get some yeast to floc so I could harvest. Used it again Monday on a passion fruit IPA. This one is with Amarillo cryos and centennial cryos. Started at 1.070, it’s at 1.020 this morning. Set the temp for this one at 85.

#22 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:24 PM

Lower attenuation goes along with my experience with Hornindal. 

Though, I don't pull samples during fermentation, so I don't know how quickly it gets the bulk of the work done.

#23 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:28 AM

Lower attenuation goes along with my experience with Hornindal. 

Though, I don't pull samples during fermentation, so I don't know how quickly it gets the bulk of the work done.

so don't add too many less fermentable malts?  (crystal, etc.)

#24 Seven

Seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

Posted 13 June 2019 - 07:51 AM

I did a Voss IPA and pitched at around 95F if I recall. Beer hit terminal gravity in like 24 hours but still improved with some aging.

I bought my yeast dried in a 1 gram sachet which was surprisingly enough to ferment 5 gallons, although I did make a small starter. That beer took a gold medal in a local comp.

#25 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 June 2019 - 03:36 AM

I did a Voss IPA and pitched at around 95F if I recall. Beer hit terminal gravity in like 24 hours but still improved with some aging.

I bought my yeast dried in a 1 gram sachet which was surprisingly enough to ferment 5 gallons, although I did make a small starter. That beer took a gold medal in a local comp.

where did you buy it from?

#26 Seven

Seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:15 AM

Currently out of stock but the link is below.

https://sleightbeerl.../yeast-pitches/

#27 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:12 AM

Currently out of stock but the link is below.

https://sleightbeerl.../yeast-pitches/

I was hoping the price would be a little lower but I assume these would survive summer shipping and can be stored for an extended period in the fridge.

#28 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:18 AM

I was hoping the price would be a little lower but I assume these would survive summer shipping and can be stored for an extended period in the fridge.

I really see no reason not to just buy the liquid unless you want a specific strain.  heat should not be an issue shipping and in reality an underpitch is better and you really do not need much.  Afterwards you can dry your own with some online tutorials.

#29 Seven

Seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 02:11 PM

$5 for a pack of dry yeast isn't horrible and can be frozen nearly indefinitely. I dried my slurry and probably have enough yeast to last for years, although I've not tried to use the home-dried yet.

#30 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 June 2019 - 03:16 PM

$5 for a pack of dry yeast isn't horrible and can be frozen nearly indefinitely. I dried my slurry and probably have enough yeast to last for years, although I've not tried to use the home-dried yet.

not too bad no but quickly approaching the price of liquid.

I really see no reason not to just buy the liquid unless you want a specific strain.  heat should not be an issue shipping and in reality an underpitch is better and you really do not need much.  Afterwards you can dry your own with some online tutorials.

true enough.  this may be something I give a go towards the end of summer.  my freezer is going  to have to be a heat box ;)

#31 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:02 AM

Bringing this back up.

I've never used this strain but Im planning to in the next few weeks. From what I understand its best to underpitch this yeast into a highly oxygenated wort. My question is I will be doing a 10g batch of 1.060ish. Using liquid. What are your thoughts on a starter? Im thinking that pitching one pak into 2500 mills would be about right for a underpitched 10g batch. Im also going to use my heating pad and wrap a towel around my fermenter to keep/hold at 90*F. Cropping and drying sounds fun too. 

#32 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:12 AM

I’ve also heard you should add extra nutrients as well, although I forget exactly why. That starter sounds like it should do the trick

#33 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16515 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:20 AM

I’ve also heard you should add extra nutrients as well, although I forget exactly why. That starter sounds like it should do the trick

Yes, I forgot to mention nutrients. 

#34 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 01 August 2019 - 06:10 AM

I don't really like the strain and I won't buy it again. Side note this is ONLY MY OPINION.

• I originally got the yeast thinking I'd be able to ferment in my garage during the summer, but since it had such a huge range it would still work indoors as well. that turned out not to be the case as under 80 it slowed to a crawl for me. So that means no fermenting indoors without adding heat, and even fermenting in the garage when it's not the height of summer is questionable. 
  • I also had heard the yeast could ferment very quickly, like grain to glass in a week fast. Turned out not to be the case as even when above 90 the yeast fermented as quickly as any other ale, maybe even a little slower too. I was watching a live stream with the omega guys and asked about my slow ferment and they blamed not enough oxygen which I will not deny could be the case. After looking some more, I believe that only HotHead is advertised as fermenting quickly.

I don't really like to baby my beers, and Hornindal just needs too much work to ferment. That said, it tastes great, so if if your up to making it happy you'll still make great beers. I just wasn't prepared for how much work it would need to ferment. I've also gotten Omega's Bavarian Lager yeast and it's amazing too. So good products, it's just my laziness that gave me a poor experience. I've actually been looking at grabbing their GULO strain as it's supposed to ferment a very dry ale and at room temp.

Edited by jayb151, 01 August 2019 - 06:11 AM.

#35 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:09 PM

I don't really like the strain and I won't buy it again. Side note this is ONLY MY OPINION.

• I originally got the yeast thinking I'd be able to ferment in my garage during the summer, but since it had such a huge range it would still work indoors as well. that turned out not to be the case as under 80 it slowed to a crawl for me. So that means no fermenting indoors without adding heat, and even fermenting in the garage when it's not the height of summer is questionable. 
  • I also had heard the yeast could ferment very quickly, like grain to glass in a week fast. Turned out not to be the case as even when above 90 the yeast fermented as quickly as any other ale, maybe even a little slower too. I was watching a live stream with the omega guys and asked about my slow ferment and they blamed not enough oxygen which I will not deny could be the case. After looking some more, I believe that only HotHead is advertised as fermenting quickly.

I don't really like to baby my beers, and Hornindal just needs too much work to ferment. That said, it tastes great, so if if your up to making it happy you'll still make great beers. I just wasn't prepared for how much work it would need to ferment. I've also gotten Omega's Bavarian Lager yeast and it's amazing too. So good products, it's just my laziness that gave me a poor experience. I've actually been looking at grabbing their GULO strain as it's supposed to ferment a very dry ale and at room temp.

I picked up a dried kviek strain, Stranda, and that seems to be the same as Hothead.  I will give it a try soon with a smash style beer.  One place says "Deep, tropical fruit aroma reminiscent of banana, with some light funky notes." and another says "It produces notes of pineapples and other tropical fruits with hints of stone fruits as well. In the right format it has a touch of hay/earthiness to it but tends to only come out when use in very simple grain bills. However it makes for one of the best Kveik strains for IPAs, NEIPAs, DIPAs, pale ales etc. "

I have to decide what hops I think will work well and give it a shot. I also want to ready up on drying the yeast so if I like it I can keep it going.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users