• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:34 AM

Maybe nothing for some of you.

For me:

• process changes
  • getting the prep done during the week when things can get crazy

The actual brew day is usually pretty relaxing for me other than the cleaning part which isn't stressful but is just a bit of work.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:01 AM

another one: dry hopping!  I love the result but I hate worry about all of that cold side O2.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:08 AM

These days it is finding time to brew that stresses me out.  While not stressful I find cleaning to be a big chore.

another one: dry hopping!  I love the result but I hate worry about all of that cold side O2.

I hear you.  I am pretty good at keeping as much O2 out as I can in my process.  I have also been seeing some research and talk that whirlpool hops may have a bigger impact on aroma than even dryhops. Would love to do some experiments with that but I have to brew other beers first.

#4 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49857 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:10 AM

Dry hopping during fermentation supposedly helps with O2 concerns and yields great results IME. What stresses me out is my glycol going down overnight. It’s happened before and my NEIPA was fermenting at 85 the next day. Double batch down the drain. Luckily I hadn’t dry hopped it yet. Not being able to find the hops I want stresses me out although I haven’t had any major issues. Ever shifting trends stresses me out.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:13 AM

These days it is finding time to brew that stresses me out.  While not stressful I find cleaning to be a big chore.

I hear you.  I am pretty good at keeping as much O2 out as I can in my process.  I have also been seeing some research and talk that whirlpool hops may have a bigger impact on aroma than even dryhops. Would love to do some experiments with that but I have to brew other beers first.

that just doesn't seem like the case for me.  I've tried my hoppy beers that have big doses of WP hops prior to dry hopping and they don't seem to compete with a good old fashioned dry hop.

Edited by Zsasz, 17 May 2019 - 09:14 AM.

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:16 AM

Dry hopping during fermentation supposedly helps with O2 concerns and yields great results IME. What stresses me out is my glycol going down overnight. It’s happened before and my NEIPA was fermenting at 85 the next day. Double batch down the drain. Luckily I hadn’t dry hopped it yet. Not being able to find the hops I want stresses me out although I haven’t had any major issues. Ever shifting trends stresses me out.

I have done the fermentation dry hop and for some beers I like it but I do find it "muddles" the hops and they are not as bright as I would like them.

I can see trends on the commercial side being a huge stress.

that just doesn't seem like the case for me.  I've tried my hoppy beers that have big doses of WP hops prior to dry hopping and they don't seem to compete with a good old fashioned dry hop.

Have they been carbonated?  I find beers do not come to life till they have been carbonated but that is me.  It was also around a discussion of what has a bigger impact over time.  So a beer would be better at 6 weeks would have the DH fade away at that point.  I will have to find the podcast it came from.

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:17 AM

I have done the fermentation dry hop and for some beers I like it but I do find it "muddles" the hops and they are not as bright as I would like them.

I can see trends on the commercial side being a huge stress.

Have they been carbonated?  I find beers do not come to life till they have been carbonated but that is me.  It was also around a discussion of what has a bigger impact over time.  So a beer would be better at 6 weeks would have the DH fade away at that point.  I will have to find the podcast it came from.

I might agree on the muddle effect.  hard to say for sure though.

they were carbonated but obviously not 6 week old.

#8 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:13 AM

Not much stresses me about brewing; I prep my strike and sparge water the day before, and mill the grains on brewday while the strike water heats.  Hops get weighed out while the mash rests.

In my specific case, my only real stress is getting my wife and son out of the house on time (I brew during the workday, and since I need the garage to brew, I can't get started until they leave in the morning).

One other stress is staying on schedule, getting the brewday done, and everything cleaned up before my wife gets home.

This is particularly important on those brewdays when it's raining or snowing out, as I've found out (the hard way) that she's not amused about parking in the driveway on a rainy/snowy day b/c my brewday went into overtime.

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:30 AM

Nothing.  Homebrewing is supposed to be a fun hobby.  If you're stressing, you're doing it wrong.  We just wrote a book about that.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:38 AM

Nothing.  Homebrewing is supposed to be a fun hobby.  If you're stressing, you're doing it wrong.  We just wrote a book about that.

prepping for anything causes me stress.  going on vacation, going skiing or hiking, homebrewing, etc.  a big part of it is life gets in the way and then I stress that if I don't get things in order quickly I'll never be able to do it.

#11 BobG

BobG

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3264 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:37 PM

Getting prepped for a brewday is a blend of stress and excitement. I just want the session to go smooth.
Cleaning always sucks.

#12 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:34 PM

Just when things go wrong.  I prepped for tomorrow.  The bag of malt I opened had the biggest grains I had seen in years.  It didn't register and my motorized mill just wouldn't take it several times until I figured out the problem.  I had to empty the hopper several times.  That kind of stuff.  I've had an element fail with 11.5 gal of wort too.  Not fun.  99% of the time it's fun and I don't let the little things bother me because I'm making beer.

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 18 May 2019 - 03:16 AM

Not much stresses me out anymore since I went back to 5 gal batches.

1bbl batches were super stressful because it took 2 days prep, 12 to 16 hours to brew and clean up, my fermenters were not at home with me so I had to rely on my father in law to change the temps on the chamber, and then it took another few hours to clean up and do kegging. Then my FIL would screw up the carbonation because he'd turn off the co2 to pour and not turn it back on to maintain the right pressure. The porch that I brewed on was cramped and dirty so I was constantly cleaning and recleaning. Then there's the worry that $100+ in ingredients and 40 to 60 hours in time would be for shit if something went wrong.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:36 AM

I have some of those but obviously ratcheted down to 10 gallon. Mostly just the time part. Ingredient costs aren't too bad.

#15 Area Man

Area Man

Comptroller of Geometry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9141 posts
  • LocationAbilizzle

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:18 PM

Chilling the wort kinda sucks, but not what I'd call stressful. I enjoy the process.

#16 LeftyMPfrmDE

LeftyMPfrmDE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:47 PM

The only thing that annoys me is a stuck mash; it's rare, but Im good for one once a year or two.

Other then that, and learned since then, when i scheduled a brew session under a time constraint; where i cant focus strictly on the brew process.

#17 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:26 AM

My brewing is stress free.  Though I do like the constant challenge of streamlining my entire process; making the least amount of moves possible.  I plan on brewing this Saturday.  With the exception of a yeast decision, my grain bill is finalized.  Tomorrow I'll measure my water and weigh out my grains and put my hops selection toward the front of the freezer.  Friday I'll grind and mash in in the evening.  Saturday up early to complete process and the garage door should be closed by 11am :)  

#18 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:41 AM

My brewing is stress free.  Though I do like the constant challenge of streamlining my entire process; making the least amount of moves possible.  I plan on brewing this Saturday.  With the exception of a yeast decision, my grain bill is finalized.  Tomorrow I'll measure my water and weigh out my grains and put my hops selection toward the front of the freezer.  Friday I'll grind and mash in in the evening.  Saturday up early to complete process and the garage door should be closed by 11am :)  

You need Simple Homebrewing!

#19 Poptop

Poptop

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • LocationCoconut Creek, FL

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:47 AM

You need Simple Homebrewing!

Good grief, how many books of yours do I have to buy?  Geez ;)

:)

#20 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:17 AM

Good grief, how many books of yours do I have to buy?  Geez ;)

:)

ALL of them, of course!   The good news is that we're done writing for a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users