#1 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64408 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:41 AM

Does anyone happen to know the level of vacuum that these consumer grade vacuum sealers produce? FoodSaver, etc?I have access to a large commercial grade vacuum sealer, which is capable of 99.5% vacuum. My hunch is that these FoodSaver type machines aren't putting the food under much vacuum at all, maybe 30%. I'm wonder if packaging at very high vacuum has a negative affect on the hops, possibly stripping some volatiles. I haven't seen mention of it, but it seems possible.

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:57 AM

Does anyone happen to know the level of vacuum that these consumer grade vacuum sealers produce? FoodSaver, etc?I have access to a large commercial grade vacuum sealer, which is capable of 99.5% vacuum. My hunch is that these FoodSaver type machines aren't putting the food under much vacuum at all, maybe 30%. I'm wonder if packaging at very high vacuum has a negative affect on the hops, possibly stripping some volatiles. I haven't seen mention of it, but it seems possible.

I wish I could tell you here but I don't have any means to measure what my seal-a-meal is doing. If you have a suggestion of an experiment I could try something out...

#3 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:30 AM

I tend to agree that the consumer vacuum sealers aren't anywhere near a commercial grade sealer but I don't have any hard data to back that up. I think oxidation is probably the bigger concern than stripping volatiles but again that's just a gut instinct.

#4 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9753 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:02 AM

I would agree. I have thought about trying a CO2 flush of the bag before vac sealing it. However, since i really haven't had a problem with hops oxidizing or even fading much after sealing them and keeping them in the freezer, I have been reluctant to "fix" a problem I don't have.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:18 AM

I would agree. I have thought about trying a CO2 flush of the bag before vac sealing it. However, since i really haven't had a problem with hops oxidizing or even fading much after sealing them and keeping them in the freezer, I have been reluctant to "fix" a problem I don't have.

bingo

#6 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:59 PM

seems like a waste of good co2 to me. just vac seal em and be done. or.....brew a shit load more :cheers:

#7 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:46 AM

I am happy with my Seal-a-meal vacuum sealer.If i was storing hops for a long time i might want a better sealer, but mine works great for short term stuff.Which i would think of as less than two years.

#8 No Party JKor

No Party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64408 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:12 PM

I've read some stuff that suggests that the consumer food vac sealers generate about 75-80% vacuum. More than I would've thought. I guess I'm probably ok using my super duper vac sealer, I can adjust the vacuum level on it as well.

#9 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:18 PM

well and there is always the issue of freezer temp. Wasn't there someone on here awhile ago that stored at like - 21 F and said there is no loss at all...gotta get myself one of those industrial strength freezers

#10 macbrak

macbrak

Comptroller of PUI

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • LocationGhost of Jobs Planet

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:17 AM

I have noticed little degradation with +3 year old hops that have been vac sealed and in a regular freezer. I do also store a lot of frozen water bottles in it, which may balance out the temp.

#11 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31618 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:23 AM

I don't know the numbers, but my buddies foodsaver is strong enough that it starts cracking coffee beans and in the end makes a brick out of them. It can also crush an aluminum can. Don't know if that should be impressive or not, but it does it.

#12 boo boo

boo boo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHeart's Delight, Newfoundland

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:10 PM

Someone did a test on one of the other sites, in which he tested the vacuum of a foodsaver.He said he took a mason jar and placed a lid on it and vacuum sealed it with an attachment.He then placed the jar upside down into a container of water and opened the lid to allowwater in. After the water occupied the jar he resealed the jar and took it out of the water.Turning it rightside it will show the amount of air to water ratio left in the jar. I think he saidabout 20 to 30% was air, so the jar vacuumed 70 % of the air out.I don't know if this test is in anyway accurate, but it sure sounds good.

#13 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:49 PM

So of course this topic comes up when my seal a meal is not pulling its weight anymore...I dont get it I have been sealing just like normal but now the bags wont hold a seal...they will be fine then I look at them the next day and the bag is full of air again...i dont see any holes or cracks in the seal line the only thing I can think is that I am getting towards the end of the roll and there are some wrinkles in the plastic, it seals over the wrinkle though...its pretty frustrating...maybe i should have went with the food saver, the vacuum itself seems to be fine...its something with the seal.

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:52 PM

So of course this topic comes up when my seal a meal is not pulling its weight anymore...I dont get it I have been sealing just like normal but now the bags wont hold a seal...they will be fine then I look at them the next day and the bag is full of air again...i dont see any holes or cracks in the seal line the only thing I can think is that I am getting towards the end of the roll and there are some wrinkles in the plastic, it seals over the wrinkle though...its pretty frustrating...maybe i should have went with the food saver, the vacuum itself seems to be fine...its something with the seal.

this happened to me with a bag i was resealing and I put it in a new bag and it sealed fine. maybe my original bag developed a hole or something i just don't know...

#15 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:29 PM

this happened to me with a bag i was resealing and I put it in a new bag and it sealed fine. maybe my original bag developed a hole or something i just don't know...

yea i have tried new bags and such but not working...i emailed rival to see what they say...

#16 Manwithbeers

Manwithbeers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island, BC, Canada

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:07 AM

The storage life of the product has a lot more to do with the permeability of the plastic bag than the level of vacuum. Use a good quality bag and double seal it. I've found that the FoodSaver brand bags are quite thick and resist punctures better than any others I've tried which I admit are few. If anyone has a less expensive source I'd love a link.If your concerned that you are not getting enough oxygen out of the bag then you can add an oxygen absorber pack with the product which will bind up the remaining oxygen in the package. If you are looking for long term storage place a group of double sealed vacuum bags into a large Mylar bag with oxygen absorbing packs and seal that. Place it in a food grade bucket with a tight lid. I've stored grain this way and it should last 25 years and remain fresh if kept in a cool dry location without large temperature swings. (Basement) For 5Kg and larger pails I don't even bother to vac seal. Just fill a Mylar bag add enough oxygen absorbers, squeeze out the air and seal. I add a couple bay leaves to the bucket with the bag of grain and then put on a good air tight lid with another oxygen absorber in the bucket.The last bag I opened had turned into a fairly tight brick, not like vacuum sealed bags though because there is still plenty of nitrogen in the bag. I started storing other things this way and decided this will keep Crystal Malt for me so I bought a bag and sealed it in 5kg buckets. I expect to keep using it over the next 5 years.

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:35 AM

The storage life of the product has a lot more to do with the permeability of the plastic bag than the level of vacuum. Use a good quality bag and double seal it. I've found that the FoodSaver brand bags are quite thick and resist punctures better than any others I've tried which I admit are few. If anyone has a less expensive source I'd love a link.If your concerned that you are not getting enough oxygen out of the bag then you can add an oxygen absorber pack with the product which will bind up the remaining oxygen in the package. If you are looking for long term storage place a group of double sealed vacuum bags into a large Mylar bag with oxygen absorbing packs and seal that. Place it in a food grade bucket with a tight lid. I've stored grain this way and it should last 25 years and remain fresh if kept in a cool dry location without large temperature swings. (Basement) For 5Kg and larger pails I don't even bother to vac seal. Just fill a Mylar bag add enough oxygen absorbers, squeeze out the air and seal. I add a couple bay leaves to the bucket with the bag of grain and then put on a good air tight lid with another oxygen absorber in the bucket.The last bag I opened had turned into a fairly tight brick, not like vacuum sealed bags though because there is still plenty of nitrogen in the bag. I started storing other things this way and decided this will keep Crystal Malt for me so I bought a bag and sealed it in 5kg buckets. I expect to keep using it over the next 5 years.

bay leaf??

#18 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:41 AM

bay leaf??

+1????

#19 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationRiver Grove , Illinois

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:11 PM

It does crush cans,the Food-saver. I done it.

#20 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9193 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:43 PM

It sounds like your heat bar may not be completely melting the bag. is there any thermal or time adjustment for the sealing portion?I have one of those sinbo snorkel seals and like it, there's an adjustment for the heat time it puts on the bag after vacuuming. I use the sealer all the time. If I had the $ I'd get a SVP-15 chamber vac, those things are sweeeeeeeeeettt, I've been trolling ebay and other places but haven't found even a used one for less than $500 :covreyes:

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users