22 replies to this topic

#21 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:43 AM

The original recipe called for a mash at 152-154 and I was thinking 152.  I made a couple of tweaks and I didn't want to make so many that it wasn't the same beer.  I could see getting to FO and then adding the chocolate powder and chiles and letting them steep for 5-10 minutes with the lid on... does that sound better?  Adding them with 10 minutes is also from the original recipe along with the 6 ounces, ½ ounce, etc.  I do feel like we have enough brewing experience to make adjustments so whatever you see that would make it better, I'm down.  9.5 pounds of fermentables on my system would probably come to a 4.5% or so beer.  

I think that option for the peppers and power sound better.

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53923 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 07:52 AM

Okay, I like it too.  When I first saw that they were added to the boil for 10 minutes it raised an eyebrow but I have never made this beer and I have never used cocoa powder -or- chiles (like this) in a beer so I didn't want to stray too much.  But typically if I do any type of spice, fruit, etc. it's either at FO or in a secondary which no longer applies.  The ancho peppers would bring a bit of heat and the morita peppers have a bit of smoke along with some heat so that's going to be very unusual.  I'm not sure how many peppers it will take to get to ½ ounce but we'll see.  All 10 of my kegs are full at this point so I will not be brewing for awhile... this may be a very late fall beer which sounds okay to me.  

#23 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 September 2019 - 09:36 AM

The original recipe called for a mash at 152-154 and I was thinking 152.  I made a couple of tweaks and I didn't want to make so many that it wasn't the same beer.  I could see getting to FO and then adding the chocolate powder and chiles and letting them steep for 5-10 minutes with the lid on... does that sound better?  Adding them with 10 minutes is also from the original recipe along with the 6 ounces, ½ ounce, etc.  I do feel like we have enough brewing experience to make adjustments so whatever you see that would make it better, I'm down.  9.5 pounds of fermentables on my system would probably come to a 4.5% or so beer.  

You'll never be able to tell the difference between 152-154.  These days it take a very large temp differential to make a difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users