Photo
- - - - -

How to get rid of beerstone without Starsan...

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:26 AM

For years I used Starsan and just dumped some of the solution into the kettle at the end of the brewday... let it soak, scrub it clean and the kettle was ready to go.  I have been using Iodophor now for a few months and I do not have any Starsan in the house.  That doesn't mean I won't use it again someday but for now... what's a good way to clean the kettle?  I assume something acidic since Starsan is acidic.  Vinegar?  A vinegar solution?  Sometimes I see gallons of vinegar at my one grocery store for very cheap.  Any thoughts?

In related news:  The batches made using iodophor have been great and using it is nice.  No foaming.  Yes, it's staining some of the plastic I have used with it.  The smell reminds me of being a newbie brewer.  

#2 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16522 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:31 AM

Despite the title I would just get some starsan. Considerably cheaper per gallon than vinegar. Can do double duty as a sanitizer too!

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:32 AM

Despite the title I would just get some starsan. Considerably cheaper per gallon than vinegar. Can do double duty as a sanitizer too!

Agreed, also doesn't need rinsing. I wouldn't want residual vinegar in my Brew stuff.

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:37 AM

Acid  5 

https://www.brewhard.../beerstone8.htm

For no foaming sanatizer I just use Sani-clean.  I know you went the way you did because of oxygen but if you go back and do not want foam, I like foam,  there are options.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 11:04 AM

Acid  5 

https://www.brewhard.../beerstone8.htm

For no foaming sanatizer I just use Sani-clean.  I know you went the way you did because of oxygen but if you go back and do not want foam, I like foam,  there are options.

Really just because it was described as a superior (wider-range), no-rinse sanitizer and I figured the more weapons the better.  Some people don't care for the staining and others claim they can taste the iodophor in the finished beer (I cannot).  I could always get a small bottle of SS or the stuff you linked to and use that.  Clearly if I used vinegar the kettle would get a thorough cleaning before using it again.  Many thanks.  

#6 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:16 PM

Acid 5 works great but any nitric phosphoric works fine.

One thing that I know will likely get some pushback is that the whole “wider range” sanitizer thing is kinda silly. Infections aren’t lurking around every corner for someone like you Ken. If you use any of these products in a reasonable way, you’ll be fine.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:40 PM

Acid 5 works great but any nitric phosphoric works fine.

One thing that I know will likely get some pushback is that the whole “wider range” sanitizer thing is kinda silly. Infections aren’t lurking around every corner for someone like you Ken. If you use any of these products in a reasonable way, you’ll be fine.

Apparently iodophor killed some wild yeasts that Starsan would not be as effective with.  I went back and tried it just because.  I actually used it once, then used the rest of my Starsan and then continued with the iodophor.  I figure contamination is contamination either way and I have had some contamination... not much but it has happened.  Anyway, I'm sure I'll grab some Starsan next time I'm at the LHBS and use it for this and for sanitizing when the iodophor is gone.  One knock against the iodophor (aside from the staining) is that it doesn't store for some amount of time after it's made like Starsan.  After a few days it's pretty much useless.  

There is a good thread about Iodophor vs. Starsan with a good debate.  I'm not trying to convince anyone, just something I tried.  

https://www.homebrew...p?topic=26846.0

#8 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 27 March 2019 - 04:41 AM

seems useful to have both around.  starsan for ease of use and iodophore to occasionally or regularly fill in the gaps.

#9 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:09 AM

Man, this thread is gonna make me get some iodophor. I've been using star san since getting back into brewing, but am wondering if I'm missing out. 

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:22 AM

Man, this thread is gonna make me get some iodophor. I've been using star san since getting back into brewing, but am wondering if I'm missing out. 

JB, honestly I think it's a toss-up.  I bet I made beer for 15 straight years using Starsan without issue.  Yes, I did have a couple contaminated beers in there but that could just be me too, not the sanitizer I used.  What got me about the iodophor claims was the "broader-spectrum" talk.  If my cleaning and sanitizing was slightly dodgy and iodophor saved my beer when Starsan did not, that would be worth it to me.  I also agree on the foaming (I don't like it) and the slippery (I don't like it) and also how plastics start to get weird in Starsan if they're left in there too long (I don't like it)... the iodophor wins.  The staining is mildly annoying.  I have probably made 10-12 batches with iodophor lately and I'm digging it. 

One incident occurred with a pack of Omega West Coast ale yeast.  It was fresh and I warmed it a bit on brewday and I just pitched it as if it were a bloated pack of Wyeast ale yeast.  Big mistake.  The beer took 2-3 days to begin fermenting and in the end the beer was highly contaminated.  Nasty, cloudy, smelly and really gross.  Was there something in my cleaning process that was left behind?  Was it something that Starsan couldn't take out but iodophor could?  Not sure.   

#11 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:33 AM

All good points Ken, thanks for the reminder.

cheers brothers!

#12 jhenjum

jhenjum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:07 AM

For years I used Starsan and just dumped some of the solution into the kettle at the end of the brewday... let it soak, scrub it clean and the kettle was ready to go.  I have been using Iodophor now for a few months and I do not have any Starsan in the house.  That doesn't mean I won't use it again someday but for now... what's a good way to clean the kettle?  I assume something acidic since Starsan is acidic.  Vinegar?  A vinegar solution?  Sometimes I see gallons of vinegar at my one grocery store for very cheap.  Any thoughts?

In related news:  The batches made using iodophor have been great and using it is nice.  No foaming.  Yes, it's staining some of the plastic I have used with it.  The smell reminds me of being a newbie brewer.  

As you stated, a vinegar soulution will work.  So will Lemi Shine dishwasher additive.  You could also get an acid rinse from a farm store for milk tanks.  Super cheap.

#13 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16522 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 09:17 AM

So will Lemi Shine dishwasher additive.

IIRC this is pretty much just citric acid. That can be had in bulk from amazon. 

#14 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 27 March 2019 - 10:02 AM

The other sanitizer I use at work is kinda like super vinegar. Peroxyacetic Acid

Whoof that stinks

But iodophor destroys my skin so I won’t use it, even with gloves. A pin hole leak means my hand is fecked for a month

#15 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 10:10 AM

The other sanitizer I use at work is kinda like super vinegar. Peroxyacetic Acid

Whoof that stinks

But iodophor destroys my skin so I won’t use it, even with gloves. A pin hole leak means my hand is fecked for a month

Wow, never had that issue and I've had it undiluted on my fingers.  

I just looked under the kitchen sink and sure enough I had some Lemi-shine.  I put a small amount of hot water in the kettle and dumped some Lemi-shine in there and swirled it and scrubbed it.  Now I'm just letting it soak and in 30 minutes or so I'll scrub it again and rinse it.  

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 11:17 AM

That worked.  I didn't do anything specific nor did I measure anything... warm water plus a few shakes of this Lemi-Shine.  I just scrubbed it one last time, rinsed it and turned the kettle upside down to drain/dry.  It's shiny bright and clean.  Seems like a decent solution.  

#17 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16522 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 11:18 AM

So, I'm confused. Why not use starsan for this?

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 11:25 AM

So, I'm confused. Why not use starsan for this?

I don't have any.  :lol:

I have been using Iodophor now for a few months and I do not have any Starsan in the house.

#19 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16522 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 11:54 AM

Got it. I didn't realize there was an immediacy issue. I figured you would just get starsan at your next HBS visit and problem solved.

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 12:04 PM

Got it. I didn't realize there was an immediacy issue. I figured you would just get starsan at your next HBS visit and problem solved.

Which I could.  But this bottle of iodophor is very full so I technically wouldn't need Starsan for awhile.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users